PRE-GAME Prelim Final - Broncos vs. Roosters

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I have no doubt it happens. The best quote I've heard is that "every club does it, some are just better than others". Even journos don't deny it.

It's not cheating though, Uncle Nick just gets them a sweet TPA with the Australian Mint which obviously comes with a few sample packs.

I'm not playing coy, I am genuinely baffled as to how they have this team. Not being on elite dollars is one thing, but with the talent around the park you'd expect them to have to throw a rookie or three around them. But no, even when they need to drag out some depth it's a talented half that was lured from another club who fought to keep him.

Even when the Storm were cheating they were bringing in journeymen and plugging them in where required. The Roosters are actively poaching. Luring players whose incumbent clubs do not want to lose and fight to keep them.

Uhuh, okay.

So what happened to a few weeks ago (or whenever it was), when you said, and I'm obviously paraphrasing here, that the Roosters wouldn't be saving that much coin because RTS was on his pre-existing salary? It sounds like awfully like a case of having your cake and eating it as well, and suggests you knew full and well what was meant by the RTS nomination but couldn't help yourself.

The difference is pretty obvious. Melbourne were able to re-sign the four best players in the game when they were at their best. When the Roosters were in a similar position, they had to let at least one go after their pemiership victory. Last year, it was SBW, this year it was both RTS and Maloney. The type of re-signings they're making are all good players, but they aren't the elites of the game like Melbourne were making.

Plus, it was a different time in the salary cap as well. It was a lot more restrictive back then compared to now.

I'm not saying the Roosters are a 100% clean mind you. I'm right with you on the ability of being able to re-sign the Latrell Mitchells, Joseph Manus, Connor Watsons, Nat Butchers, Vincent Leuluais while pilfering the likes of Taylor, Hastings, Matterson and Nikorima from other nursaries, but I think comparing the two teams on paper hides the context of when those Storm stars signed their deals.

Also, given the Broncos conduct last year, I wouldn't be throwing stones if you know what I'm saying.

I'm not going to talk this thing to death and ruin this thread for other people. However, that's the other side of the coin, one that probably wouldn't be represented otherwise.

Last edited:
Who cares, we beat the Storm at their cheating best and we'll beat the Roosters too.

Uhuh, okay.

So what happened to a few weeks ago (or whenever it was), when you said, and I'm obviously paraphrasing here, that the Roosters wouldn't be saving that much coin because RTS was on his pre-existing salary? It sounds like awfully like a case of having your cake and eating it as well, and suggests you knew full and well what was meant by the RTS nomination but couldn't help yourself.

The difference is pretty obvious. Melbourne were able to re-sign the four best players in the game when they were at their best. When the Roosters were in a similar position, they had to let at least one go after their pemiership victory. Last year, it was SBW, this year it was both RTS and Maloney. The type of re-signings they're making are all good players, but they aren't the elites of the game like Melbourne were making.

Plus, it was a different time in the salary cap as well. It was a lot more restrictive back then compared to now.

I'm not saying the Roosters are a 100% clean mind you. I'm right with you on the ability of being able to re-sign the Latrell Mitchells, Joseph Manus, Connor Watsons, Nat Butchers, Vincent Leuluais while pilfering the likes of Taylor, Hastings, Matterson and Nikorima from other nursaries, but I think comparing the two teams on paper hides the context of when those Storm stars signed their deals.

Also, given the Broncos conduct last year, I wouldn't be throwing stones if you know what I'm saying.

I'm not going to talk this thing to death and ruin this thread for other people. However, that's the other side of the coin, one that probably wouldn't be represented otherwise.

I'll leave it alone too after this then.

My response to the first bit is that there's decent money, and there's a million dollars. IIRC my comment was "just because the Warriors are paying him a million dollars doesn't mean the Roosters save that much". Ie, Roosters fans would argue that losing RTS frees up a boatload of cash, when in reality it would really only be half that. But it's not like he would have been getting paid minimum wage like (cough cough) Tupou.

As for Melbourne, I agree that the retaining four of the best in the world was huge. But even at that time they bled players around that. The only player that the Roosters fought for was RTS. Maloney was already out the door. Now look at who re-signed & who was recruited just this year alone: Burgess, Ferguson, Guerra, SKD, Napa, Taukeiaho, Tupou, JWH. All until at least 2017.

To be fair, they're getting Turd Ferguson on the cheap because he's a convicted sex offender. And having a shite halfback frees up a fair whack of coin for other positions too.

I doubt they are getting either player cheap. I'd be surprised if Pearce isn't one of the highest paid halves either.

The gravity of our current position only just seems to be sinking in for me now, and I'm nervous as a result. We haven't been in a better placed position to go to the Grand Final in a very long time. We didn't even have as good a leadup in 2006.

Obviously we'll need a huge night from our forwards and bench, particularly Blair and, I think, Joe O, who may have an expanded role in this game. He has been coming into some seriously good form recently and I reckon Bennett will install him for a much more expanded time period in this game to really match it with the big men coming off the Rorters bench. Just hold on to the ball and run hard son. You've just been hypnotized and you're instructed to imitate a cannonball. Blair, well he just has to do what he does best. Work Pearce and Maloney over as much as possible whenever they decide to run the ball which they WILL. Our fringe defenders have to be ready for that, especially with Sheck and Jennings sniffing around.

Then there's our kicking game. I dearly hope Hunt and Milf train their asses off with kicking this week and I'm sure that is what Bennett is doing. Keep Sheck and Tupou out of the game. This has to be in bold letters on the whiteboard at training as well, Wayne.

Appropriate segway. Wayne has to really step up himself for this one. The boys need their engines revving. They've had the week off, they should be feeling great, any niggling injuries they were dealing with are hopefully resolved, and right now they're just primed and ready to choke some chickens.

If we book our first Grand Final in 8 years, I know I will certainly be choking the chicken.

My biggest concern is how we will perform after the week off.

Sometimes it can be a good thing, but sometimes it can be your undoing.

Take a look at our performances this year after the week off. Panthers, Storm, Bulldogs.. All of those, we were well below our best and came close to losing. Is that because the week off fucked with our momentum? Or is it because Bennett was just taking it easy through the Origin period?

If we turn up fired up and ready to rip in, we can win it. But, it doesn't always turn out that way.

Last edited:
My biggest concern is how we will perform after the week off.

Sometimes it can be a good thing, but sometimes it can be your undoing.

Take a look at our performances this year after the week off. Panthers, Storm, Bulldogs.. All of those, we were well below our best and came close to losing. Is that because the week off fucked with our momentum? Or is it because Bennett was just taking it easy through the Origin period?

If we turn up fired up and ready to rip in, we can win it. But, it doesn't always turn out that way.

I think you have to assume it was managing stamina during Origin. THAT has been our undoing before, and Bennett has seen it all too often. He wasn't doing it again. He did the same with the Dragons in 2010 if memory serves.

Chooks have had a few errors creeping into their game of late, the sort of errors that could be telling a slip in form...I hope this isn't another close one, I fear our goal kicking could let us down, hopefully our fresh legs blow them off the park and we put 20 on em early.

If we're gonna win it'll be a close one for sure.

For the punters 1-12 is paying $3.30.

1442827375.jpg

Call me a cynic, but this is not a good look for the game

Chooks have had a few errors creeping into their game of late, the sort of errors that could be telling a slip in form...I hope this isn't another close one, I fear our goal kicking could let us down, hopefully our fresh legs blow them off the park and we put 20 on em early.

Spot on! I feel the roosters had peaked and are on the way down. You can't maintain that kind of form these days. The game is too physical.
Simple maths here -

We lost the last game 12-10. I feel we are 12 point better team and the roosters are even or less better off. Predicted score 24-10

Spot on! I feel the roosters had peaked and are on the way down. You can't maintain that kind of form these days. The game is too physical.
Simple maths here -

We lost the last game 12-10. I feel we are 12 point better team and the roosters are even or less better off. Predicted score 24-10

I just hope they didn't play themselves into a bit of form the other night against the Dogs... Although the scoreline was a bit flattering.
Who ever wins this game will go all the way I reckon

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.