Prelim Finals Discussion

Three things I obtained from tonight.

1. Rabbitohs will win their first premiership in 43 years.
2. Penrith will be the next NRL dynasty (Manly and Storm mid 2000's to now)
3. Freddy Fitler will finally shut up

Last edited:
Panthers attack in the opp half was barely Griffinball standard. I know they had Will Smith who is basically Hoffman level of terrible, but Moylan and Soward were shit too.

There is nothing wrong with him being passionate about teams he played for, every commentator is like this and it makes the game more enjoyable.

Petty feelings aside, you've really got to hand it to Des and the Bulldogs.

They had every reason to miss out on the finals this year and while many of us thought the Des factor would get them to September, I don't think any of us saw them in the Grand Final.

For mine, the best coaches just know how to seize the moment. Heading into Melbourne, the Dogs were in woeful shape but Des was able to remind them that they had beaten these Melbourne boys twice before and they had the players capable of doing the job. He got them fired up, they raced out to a big lead and Melbourne basically beat themselves.

From there, they've had all the confidence and while some may claim that they received a stroke of luck facing a wounded Manly and a fairly plucky Penrith outfit, I still think the way they went about their business shows their true character. To win tonight without their captain and their chief playmaker obviously playing wounded is remarkable.

It also goes to show, defence wins matches in modern League.

I'm not so convinced. Bulldogs have the edge with grand final experience (them being there 2 years ago as opposed to 43 and all). Experience counts for a lot on the biggest day of the year.

There is nothing wrong with him being passionate about teams he played for, every commentator is like this and it makes the game more enjoyable.

I totally agree, i was just having a stab at a conversation earlier on in the thread. FYI I like the passion in the commentary.

[MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION]
The Bulldogs on paper should be a bottom 8 team. They have no outstanding backs, they do have a decent but unremarkable forward pack, many of their players were unwanted at other clubs. Despite winning origin, their halves always look ordinary. Yet they play to their strengths, play hard (usually fair, other than Reynolds and Ennis brain snaps) and put in for each other.

Excellent coaching, and a team that plays with a lot of heart. TBF to the Rabbits (and Twizted), they do too.

Going to be a good game next week, that's for sure.

I can't believe either souffs or Reynolds are going to win it... still hope the Dogs end up taking it, so souffs continues to feel entitled while crying like little bitches.

Just to think we beat this team convincingly in both games this season.

Here was my (poorly written) 2014 expectations of the Dogs...

Big Pete said:
Bulldogs: Still have that trademark Dogs of War mentality in so much as boasting one of the better forward packs in the competition. Yeah, T-Rex was a dud in 2013 but I rate their pack and Des' skills to get the most out of his pack, highly. The tricky part for them will be coming up with points - the Dogs are going to have to blood some playmakers and outside backs if they're going to really challenge this year, otherwise they'll have a Broncos 2012 situation going where they don't have any trouble making the attacking zone, but when the going gets rough, lack that superstar who's able to slice through the defence. Interesting year ahead and will be a good test of Des, although I'm sure the Origin period will save him once again and I'll be pissed off when they basically become finals fodder.

Clearly, I haven't got a clue. :laugh:

@Big Pete
The Bulldogs on paper should be a bottom 8 team. They have no outstanding backs, they do have a decent but unremarkable forward pack, many of their players were unwanted at other clubs. Despite winning origin, their halves always look ordinary. Yet they play to their strengths, play hard (usually fair, other than Reynolds and Ennis brain snaps) and put in for each other.

Excellent coaching, and a team that plays with a lot of heart. TBF to the Rabbits (and Twizted), they do too.

Going to be a good game next week, that's for sure.

While I think Jorris is massively overrated and one dimensional, him and Lafai are pretty goddamn good backs at club level.

I think the talent of the roster fully supported your thesis Pete. It's just a testament to how remarkable a coach Hasler is. Honestly, I think not only do we have more talent in our squad, but at least half the teams dol

Just to think we beat this team convincingly in both games this season.

Round 1 you could write off as pre-season rust, Round 22 they hadn't won a game in a month and Reynolds blew a gasket watching Barba get the better of him.

Round 1 you could write off as pre-season rust, Round 22 they hadn't won a game in a month and Reynolds blew a gasket watching Barba get the better of him.
Yep, there always seem to be really good excuses for the clubs we beat, but when we lose, it's Griffin's fault...

Bulldogs in the Grand Final...

EnchantedGlossyFlamingo.gif

Last edited:
I wish they'd just call the GF off. Everyone go home, nothing positive to see here...

While I think Jorris is massively overrated and one dimensional, him and Lafai are pretty goddamn good backs at club level.

I think Sam Perret has really stood up during the finals as well.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Johnny92
  • The True King
  • Broncosarethebest
  • azza.79
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Alec
  • Mister Wright
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Griffo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.