Pretenders or contenders?

Defense is good, attack is poor.

Not the biggest problem considering how far into the season we are, however, if it doesn't improve we'll be in all sorts.

Give us another month and we'll know where we're at.

0% chance Milford plays origin this year, so you can probably leave him in the team. I'd say Sims is a long shot as well personally, he's been "ok" for us so far, but there's still better performing forwards out there.

1. Allan
2. Pearson
3. Roberts
4. Moga
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Sims
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Pangai Jr
13. Arrow

14. Su'A
15. Ese'ese
16. Fai
17. Haas

Edit: Wait, is Haas ineligible this season? His DOB is December 1999, which would make him 17 during origin period

Surely come Origin, Kahu would be first choice FB? I imagine Mead would come in on the wing. I don't know anything about Allan (Corey?), but I think the experience of Mead would be hard to ignore.

Barring injury, we should have a pretty strong side through the origin period. At least on paper. It was our springboard in 2015. That's when we'll know whether we are contenders or not. You can't lose all your games in the Origin period and expect to make the top 4, and any team finishing outside the 4 is probably going to ultimately end up a pretender. Winning games through origin is doubly important given we're 'drawn' to play all the likely contenders twice (Storm, Roosters, Cows, ?Sharks, ?Raiders).

I've got Round 6 penciled in as a season defining game for the Broncos. Sydney Roosters at home, it will tell us everything we need to know about the 2017 Broncos.

Agreed. After six weeks of competition, if we can't start getting both our attack and defence working, this season will be a disaster.

So boys and girls it's now three rounds out from finals football and we sit in second place currently. I'm interested to see people's opinions now on if we are pretenders or contenders. Any of the skeptics jumped ship and now think we have a shot? Alternately anyone gone the other way and now think we are just making up numbers?

Keen to here some hard truth no bulls**t assements on why we are either pretenders or contenders.

So boys and girls it's now three rounds out from finals football and we sit in second place currently. I'm interested to see people's opinions now on if we are pretenders or contenders. Any of the skeptics jumped ship and now think we have a shot? Alternately anyone gone the other way and now think we are just making up numbers?

Keen to here some hard truth no bulls**t assements on why we are either pretenders or contenders.
Definitely a shot at the title and a top 2 finish will almost ensure a GF spot. Still a few question marks in the squad but a .667 winning pctg. is nothing to sneeze at. Are getting hot at the right time of the year.

Still think we are only conteders if Smith or Slater get injured or suspended, or if someone else knocks Melbourne out somehow.

Contenders. Wayne knows how to prepare for the big games.

Finish top 2 and we are in with a big chance.

There have been good signs lately, especially the last couple of weeks. Broncos came in determined to put them to the sword instead of just staying in second gear and coming away with an unconvincing win.

The next few weeks will give a better indication of whether we're pretenders or contenders. If the Broncos can build on the past couple of weeks and show they have the hunger, they are contenders.

If they go backwards, I'm afraid they are pretenders.

In my opinion we are contenders, the thing that excites me most is that we seem to be winning well while still having a lot of improvement left in us. We have a new halfback/hooker combination which is 2 games deep and I beleive will get better with each game. Our forwards seem to have found their identidity and started taking pride in what they do and are on the improve. I also feel like we've figured out the the way to get our outside backs involved in the game and they both are growing in confidence each game. And for the first time since 2015 Milford is starting to look dangerous every play and making you feel like something could happen every touch of the ball.

On the other hand I think my biggest concern remains our kicking game. If we get ourselves into an arm wrestle in the finals I think our poor kicking game could cost us a win. Also our lack of ability to contest high balls on our own try line is concerning. Every time a team goes high while attacking our line I never feel comfortable. Moga in defence also has the ability to cause us some problems if a team such as Melbourne attacks his side with one of those bodies in motion set plays it could bring us unstuck. Finally I'm still unsure about our ability to close out a tight game but im hoping with milf, hunt and niko all on the field the three of them have learnt enough to turn our typical 4 point finals loss into a nice 6 point win.

But we've got ourselves into a position where we can be a real threat if we can keep this up for the next 7 weeks.

I really want that saying, you gotta lose one to win one to come good

Contenders we are. Everyone is afraid of the storm but if we meet them in the finals or grand final, I think we can get the job done (especially on neutral turf)

We are contenders. I feel like we have been building like a Rocky movie. Montage music playing. We have not been perfect but we have been consistent. We have been in games this year. We have had battles. We have had injuries yet the boys have still turned up. We out of all the teams have really earned our position and respect this year. No one thought we would make the 8. Remember Wayne lost the dressing room after WCC. There is something special brewing. I believe in our men.

We have a new halfback/hooker combination which is 2 games deep and I beleive will get better with each game.

Not sure how you can improve on perfection in the hooking department

47af5e18e61a130a9f76288f11f2411e

Definitely contenders, but I honestly dread being in another GF. We'd have to play to our full potential (or very close to it) to get it done and the team's inexplicable inconsistency worries me.

Definitely contenders, but I honestly dread being in another GF. We'd have to play to our full potential (or very close to it) to get it done and the team's inexplicable inconsistency worries me.
Same, I couldn't deal with another loss. Would rather lose the qualifier by 100 points than the gf again.

So far we are pretenders. We've gone backwards.

We'll see how the second half goes.
Who shat in your cornflakes this morning? Yeah we were average, but we were practically playing touch footy out there and still never looked like losing, despite Cecchin's best efforts.

Unread

Active Now

• Xzei
  • The Strapper
  • GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Volvo Driver
  • lynx000
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • armchair
  • Behold
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.