Pretenders or contenders?

Who shat in your cornflakes this morning? Yeah we were average, but we were practically playing touch footy out there and still never looked like losing, despite Cecchin's best efforts.

There is a reason why Storm are the benchmark team of the competition.

I'm really enjoying this "off the cuff, offloading, move the ball around" style we're playing. It doesn't always look pretty but if you throw enough punches, you're eventually going to hit.

The "ruck it up for 5, kick to the corners, put a good chase on and defend" style won't work for this side.

I say let them play some footy God dammit and let's all go along for the ride.

Jeez. If we're still pretenders at this stage, sitting a deserved 2nd on the ladder with two rounds to play, we might as well all pack up and give the trophy to Melbourne now. The comp would be literally down to 1 contender and 15 pretenders. We could have worked that out by about round 9 and saved a lot of trouble.

When it hits knock out footy, anything can happen. We're capable of beating any team.

Best offense. 3rd best defense by a narrow margin. 2nd on the ladder with the 2nd best F/A.

THERE IS NOTHING PRETENDER ABOUT THAT.

There is no team we can't beat in this current competition on our day, and most of them on our half days.

Not just that, I can't remember a more exciting broncos team to watch in a long time. We just seem to have quality attacking power everywhere.

Milford's conversions are a big concern though, we are going to need dependable conversions to win out a tough game against the best.

Last edited:
Anyone sayin' we're still fucken pretenders is either delusional or trying to convince themselves that reverse physcology has some kind of value in sport.

Truth bomb!

Contenders.

Our defensive mindset is right where it needs to be.

Our offense is starting to really come along nicely too, so much nicer to see ball movement than the 5 hitups and bomb routine. All we really need to work on now is finding a way to get KNik to involve Roberts a bit more . ... he still looks a bit 'stranded' out there at the moment for mine.

Contenders for sure.

What's interesting is had we held on for those 2-3 minutes down at AAMI Park in Round 3, we'd be currently on top of the ladder at this point in time.

Not bad for a team who haven't hit their straps and still has plenty of improvement in them. Not bad for a team that has by far had the toughest draw of every team in the comp. Not bad for a team many figureheads south of the border (aka Gus Gould) still are not convinced about.

We may be struggling in certain aspects of our game, namely execution and taking control of the game when on top, but there is a lot to like that is making up for those deficiencies. Numbers don't lie we are where we are for a reason and we haven't had the gimme games most others have had. I wasn't convinced after the eels game but we are definitely in a good position now to give this comp a shake.

Contenders

What's interesting is had we held on for those 2-3 minutes down at AAMI Park in Round 3, we'd be currently on top of the ladder at this point in time.

Not bad for a team who haven't hit their straps and still has plenty of improvement in them. Not bad for a team that has by far had the toughest draw of every team in the comp. Not bad for a team many figureheads south of the border (aka Gus Gould) still are not convinced about.

We may be struggling in certain aspects of our game, namely execution and taking control of the game when on top, but there is a lot to like that is making up for those deficiencies. Numbers don't lie we are where we are for a reason and we haven't had the gimme games most others have had. I wasn't convinced after the eels game but we are definitely in a good position now to give this comp a shake.

Contenders

We wouldnt be top of the ladder storm still would be 2 wins ahead of us

What would be good if the roosters or sharks finish 4th and beat the storm in week 1 of finals a big chance to lose again

Also look at the roosters they came first 3 years in a row for 1 grand final so doesnt matter

Last edited:
Who cares about august minor premierships
Storm are already in high gear. They might run out of petrol in the finals. We are building and it's very promising
The problem is that I have found now with the Broncos, if they don't drop a game before the finals, We will have peaked a bit early

We wouldnt be top of the ladder storm still would be 2 wins ahead of us

What would be good if the roosters or sharks finish 4th and beat the storm in week 1 of finals a big chance to lose again

Also look at the roosters they came first 3 years in a row for 1 grand final so doesnt matter
We'd have 2 more points. The Storm would have 2 fewer (thanks Stannis). Our for/against improves by 6. Melbourne's deteriorates by 6. The end result is we are both on 36 competition points with the Broncos +178 and the Storm +175.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Harry Sack
  • Tim K
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mister Wright
  • LittleDavey
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • Mustafur
  • Bucking Beads
  • Aldo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.