Prop

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
The top line props and locks are costing up to 1 million in the cap.. Not sure how I would feel about that if we spent the same amount on a forward.

Realistically, I wouldn't want to spend the cap space on Bromwich or Burgess. Milford will be commanding close to 1 million. Hunt is going to be hard to retain if we can't get around 650k mark. And that's just our halves possibly taking up nearly 2 million a season.

No way milford or hunt are worth that atm

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The top line props and locks are costing up to 1 million in the cap.. Not sure how I would feel about that if we spent the same amount on a forward.

Realistically, I wouldn't want to spend the cap space on Bromwich or Burgess. Milford will be commanding close to 1 million. Hunt is going to be hard to retain if we can't get around 650k mark. And that's just our halves possibly taking up nearly 2 million a season.

I don't think any prop out there is costing anywhere near that much. Maybe Burger, but no one else. Also if we are spending 2 million a season on our halves, we are doing something wrong.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
My pick would be the unheralded Matt Prior. At 29 he would be at the end of his prime but still a rock for three years. Great work rate and ethic. At 600 a season he'd be a bonus.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
My pick would be the unheralded Matt Prior. At 29 he would be at the end of his prime but still a rock for three years. Great work rate and ethic. At 600 a season he'd be a bonus.
He was a standout in the last half of this year.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Good props are rare and he was good enough to tear Melbourne a new one. That price was in the new market where the very best would command much more. He is without doubt a top shelf prop and his last two years have been sensational but unnoticed around here because of a poor opinion of the premier team of 2016. If you can tell me of the 'lot better ' props around I'd be keen to hear. Remember of course that they will cost way more so aside from the top two or three, who are a lot better?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Good props are rare and he was good enough to tear Melbourne a new one. That price was in the new market where the very best would command much more. He is without doubt a top shelf prop and his last two years have been sensational but unnoticed around here because of a poor opinion of the premier team of 2016. If you can tell me of the 'lot better ' props around I'd be keen to hear. Remember of course that they will cost way more so aside from the top two or three, who are a lot better?

the better Props than Matt Prior IMO (in no particular order)

Josh McGuire
Adam Blair
James Graham
James Tamou
Matt Scott
Napa
JWH
Jesse Bromwich
Andrew Fifita
Ben Matulino
Aaron Woods
George Burgess
Sam Burgess (when he plays prop)

Prior had a pretty good year, but if you are going to break the bank and spend 600k a season on a prop, then any one of the above list would be a better choice than Prior

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
George Burgess ! Righto lol....breaking the bank would be a million a season in the new era I believe. I just think Prior has all the skills, right attitude and for the right price would be fantastic for us. No nonsense go forward and can sting in defence. I just don't believe enough on here have really paid attention. Only half on the list are clearly better and they would cost a lot more. I'd take Prior over Scott because of the age difference and the much longer pay off. Still, everyone is entitled to think what they want.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Felise Kaufusi anyone?

Was 18th man for QLD. Wouldn't cost much at all though.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Go back in time and bring back a young Shane Webcke.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
I would pick Jordan McLean.

Big and strong and fast. He has come on in leaps and bounds the last two seasons. He was actually off contract this year. It annoys me the Broncos didn't make an offer. He could really add something to our team and his best years are ahead of him. Shannon Boyd as well I would take.

On another note, where has this myth cropped up that we shouldn't pay big money for forwards? It's arguably the hardest and most punishing position in the game to play. You know you're going to get smashed everytime you run and have the ball. You have to make more tackles when your overpaid, overrated halves derp it up and constantly give away field position and 7 tackle sets. Elite front rowers deservedly should take up a good chunk of the cap.

It's why Petero left. It's why Tamou is going. They knew they were worth more for the job they do.

I think both Bromwich and McLean are better than McGuire. I'd love to have them at the club.

Last edited:
Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
I would pick Jordan McLean.

Oooh, good call. Him and Nelson Alfalfa Solarpower are both quality. Both built from the JBrom mould. Have the power but also speed and skill to complement.

I'd still rather a wrecking ball like Paulo, but I'd take any of those three in a heartbeat.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
George Burgess ! Righto lol....breaking the bank would be a million a season in the new era I believe. I just think Prior has all the skills, right attitude and for the right price would be fantastic for us. No nonsense go forward and can sting in defence. I just don't believe enough on here have really paid attention. Only half on the list are clearly better and they would cost a lot more. I'd take Prior over Scott because of the age difference and the much longer pay off. Still, everyone is entitled to think what they want.

Prior for the right price would be OK. But you suggested 600K for him.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

600k for Prior. No way no how. 10 good matches does not undo a career of mediocrity.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Ha ha.....you're only as good as your last game and you just haven't taken notice of his last two years because of your blind hatred of Cronulla but you're entitled to your prejudices.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
600k for Prior. No way no how. 10 good matches does not undo a career of mediocrity.

Are you kidding? That's a bargain. Besides, with a record like you described he could easily fit in in with the likes of Hunt and McCullough.

Active Now

• theshed
  • marw
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.