Prop

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I've got a feeling Ofa is going to surprise a few...

Ofahengaue has so much potential yet to be unleashed in the NRL. As him and TPJ get older and more experienced, they'd be awesome to have as impact off the bench. Just need more confidence.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
He might but he seems to one dimensional for me. The other guys coming through have a lot more to offer than he does I think.

Wait and see what happens I guess.
Yeah, he's not a fancy player, but he is big, strong, has a great work ethic, and has by far the best motor of all our up and coming props.
He'll be thereabouts the 17 each week I reckon.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Yeah, he's not a fancy player, but he is big, strong, has a great work ethic, and has by far the best motor of all our up and coming props.

Heap, he is definitely all those things. Ese'ese has a pretty big motor to and I think TPJ and him will be ahead of Ofahengaue at the start of the season unless he has a big off-season.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
All valid points.

I still think he lacks the intensity to be a mainstay at prop. There's no venom in his runs, no sting in his defence.

If he can fire up and find some aggression, he could be a fantastic player. I'm just not sure he's got that in his nature.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

I also think he can have a good year . he doesn't have to be fancy , just needs to be consistently eating meters with strong runs and quick play the balls. I think Ese'ese and tpj can be our fancy big men .

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
I agree that Joe is a huge talent and it's definitely a lack of aggression and confidence that is holding him back. I remember a world club challenge game where he fired right up and was awesome but I haven't seen him do it since.

I would like to know if he starts in the ISC and how he goes. He seemed to lose confidence this year when Wayne would only bring him on very late. Maybe Wayne should try giving him a slap and send him out early.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Offa seems like a workhorse to me so I'm hoping he's been working on his fitness in qcup and gets a decent crack this year.

Pretty sure he used to play 80mins in NYC at prop and lead the comp in runs and run meters... so the potential is there. I feel like offa just needs to be thrown into the deep end this year and given time on the field to get used to the speed of the game, which is not usually Bennett's MO

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
All valid points.

I still think he lacks the intensity to be a mainstay at prop. There's no venom in his runs, no sting in his defence.

If he can fire up and find some aggression, he could be a fantastic player. I'm just not sure he's got that in his nature.
Petero Civoneciva... :wink:

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Not all props need to be aggressive. Joe just needs to buff up and get more involved on the field he has the potential, just needs to take charge.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Not all props need to be aggressive. Joe just needs to buff up and get more involved on the field he has the potential, just needs to take charge.
I'm not advocating he carries on like the love child of Taupau and Matt Lodge.
Petero Civoneciva... :wink:
Petero (one if my all time favourites) may have been a gentle giant but he still knew how to hit the line and bend it.

Joe has the frame but doesn't seem to make use of it.

It's not enough to have the big motor if he's not causing some damage in attack or defence (preferably both).

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I'm not advocating he carries on like the love child of Taupau and Matt Lodge.

Petero (one if my all time favourites) may have been a gentle giant but he still knew how to hit the line and bend it.

Joe has the frame but doesn't seem to make use of it.

It's not enough to have the big motor if he's not causing some damage in attack or defence (preferably both).
Let's not forget he's only 21 years old, which is really young for a prop. He was certainly bending the line in the U20's and from what I heard, in ISC as well.

The comparison with Petero is only character wise of course. But Ofa does remind me of a young Petero.
I hope he can be half the prop the great man was!

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
Wayne was pretty ruthless with him. An average game against the tigers and a howler in NZ (he wasn't alone that's for sure) and not seen again really. Wayne must have been hoping for a real reaction in the ISC but didn't come.

Wayne likes aggressive front rowers not toilers but I hope he is still in his plans given his age.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
[FONT=&quot]http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2016/11/07/joe_aims_to_get_back.af_news.html

JOE Ofahengaue has used the first day of pre-season to mark out his goal for NRL season 2017 - to earn his way back into the Broncos' top 17.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The big forward ran impressively in his time trial against other young forwards as the first group of players returned to training after the off-season.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just 21 years of age, Ofahengaue has already experienced the highs and lows of life in the NRL.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In 2015 he was a Junior Kangaroo and made his NRL debut, going on to play 14 matches including an NRL Grand Final appearance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But this year as his form and confidence dipped he managed 17 games, but lost his place in the Broncos top 17, not playing after round 21 and finishing the year in the Intrust Super Cup.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It's a lesson Ofahengaue learned hard and he has come back to training ready to make the most of opportunities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Opportunities like the retirement of Corey Parker and departure of Jarrod Wallace, which have opened up spots in the top 17.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

"I didn't play as much NRL as I wanted to last year - I let myself and the boys down," said Ofahengaue today.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I am hoping I can turn that around this year by getting myself a good pre-season and getting back into that squad.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"There are some opportunities there and I guess it all comes down to the hard work that we do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Everything we do in that pre-season counts towards earning a spot in that team.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I'm looking forward to that challenge."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ofahengaue said he had been careful to look after himself in the off-season so he returned in good order.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you don’t, the 1.5 kilometre time trial that greets every returnee will tell trainers all they need to know.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It is hard if you haven't prepared yourself properly,” he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We are lucky we have a great staff who have us some things to do throughout the off-season, so I am pretty sure the boys have prepared themselves well."[/FONT]

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I think Joe has a lot more to offer personally, he was an absolute monster in the NYC, averaged up around 200 metres a game, you don't get those sort of numbers by being a below average prop.

Hopefully he has a good pre-season, I wouldn't rule out him being in the running for a start prop position if the McGuire shifting to lock rumours come to fruition.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • davidp
  • broncos4life
  • Broncorob
  • Aldo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • Fozz
  • Scorchie
  • Skyblues87
  • Jedhead
  • Robboi_321
  • Manofoneway
  • johnny plath
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.