NEWS Pursuit over as Broncos finally get their man

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I mentioned this in the Junior Kangaroos game, but how sick is it going to be having Milford, Bird & Fifita on one edge with Croft, Staggs & TPJ on the other, assuming that's who we start with, that's going to be insanely damaging on both sides.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017

I mentioned this in the Junior Kangaroos game, but how sick is it going to be having Milford, Bird & Fifita on one edge with Croft, Staggs & TPJ on the other, assuming that's who we start with, that's going to be insanely damaging on both sides.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

I'm already jealous of Macca and Darius getting to watch it all up in the box with Seibs.

Nepal Donkeys

Nepal Donkeys

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
Cowboys about to sign Latrell and Holmes and 90% of this forum are jizzing themselves over Brodie fucking Croft.

Oh how we have fallen

Last edited by a moderator:
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I think really, the question that was asked was the wrong one. Players have left the Storm system and improved. Melbourne wanted to keep all those blokes you named, but they couldnt fit them in under the cap.

The question that should be asked is more like " has a player who Melbourne released because they didnt want him improved after leaving " I'm struggling to think of any. Maybe there may have been some who left for disciplinary reasons, but at the moment, i cant think of a player Melbourne didnt want who has gone on to prove them wrong.

I think Croft will be a handy pick up, but i'm not getting over excited yet until he is actually here.
Tohu was pretty good, but I suspect you would say that they knowingly had Kaufusi available...and I would rebut with Kaufusi being manufactured into a stereotypical "storm" edge second rower (ie. Hoffman)

It's all semantics though... Would Melbourne preferred to keep Inglis?? Would Broncos preferred to keep Petero?? Was either possible in a salary cap world??

Everything is a risk in a salary cap environment. You have to choose what causes the least damage, whilst also recruiting value for money.

I'm not getting overly excited about Croft, but clearly storm think they can replace him him from within.... personally I don't quite think Cam or Hughes at 7 quite cuts it as a premiership threat, but BSmith or Grant could brain it and they win the comp in 2020

Who knows... maybe their long term plan is to run out the clock with Cam and use the $1M of cap space to buy the best half available when he retires

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Cowboys about to sign Latrell and Holmes and 90% of this forum are jizzing themselves over Brodie f***ing Croft.

Oh how we have fallen

If the Cows can net both Mitchell and Holmes in the same off season, the salary cap really has become an unspoken crapshoot and I'm not sure why we didn't just go hard for the most expensive player possible and **** whatever anyone thinks.

No, this is the real world. The Cows will get Holmes and the Tigers or Newcastle will snatch Mitchell. And we get Croft because he was the best option available to us.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
If the Cows can net both Mitchell and Holmes in the same off season, the salary cap really has become an unspoken crapshoot and I'm not sure why we didn't just go hard for the most expensive player possible and **** whatever anyone thinks.

No, this is the real world. The Cows will get Holmes and the Tigers or Newcastle will snatch Mitchell. And we get Croft because he was the best option available to us.
We could afford Mitchell, Holmes and Ponga if we could magic away Boyd, Macca, Kahu and Bird.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
We could afford Mitchell, Holmes and Ponga if we could magic away Boyd, Macca, Kahu and Bird.

Yes well, it is nice to want things. There are some days when I consider tweeting this @ RTS:

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
According to a (confident) random on the Rabbits site, Arrow to Bunnies is done, Mitchell to Bunnies is done.
Fifita is staying put in Brisbane.
They are trying to move Gagai on to fit Semi Radradradada in.
I have zero knowledge of this blokes credibility though.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
According to a (confident) random on the Rabbits site, Arrow to Bunnies is done, Mitchell to Bunnies is done.

Lose Burgess, gain Arrow and Mitchell. Sounds legit.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
That’s a pretty formidable backline. Shame they don’t have a decent coach there anymore.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Cowboys about to sign Latrell and Holmes and 90% of this forum are jizzing themselves over Brodie f***ing Croft.

Oh how we have fallen

As good as both Latrell and Holmes are, and in a different situation, I would love to have either of them. BUT, neither would solve our current, major problem - that being a competent halfback to direct the team around the park. We could have Usain Bolt on the wing but there would be no point if we can't get the ball to him at the right time, ala 2018/19.

This problem is now solved, thanks to some clever recruiting by Seibs to snare a young, NRL-experienced halfback from the Melbourne system for a relatively low price. Maybe over the next year or 2, when we have our salary cap back under control with a wad of cash to spend, someone of the ilk of Latrell, Holmes, or dare I say it, (the best player in the world for the next decade) Kalyn Ponga, will be within our reach. Now that we have Brodie to steer us around, such an elite player will not be wasted in our team as they would have been had we not just snared such a talented young half.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
If it is Peter Quinn, he has no credibility.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

This is a big if, but if they can get rid of Asiata ( looking at the heading to the gold coast ) and Granville ( looks like he could head to Manly ), dont re-sign Martin, then all of a sudden its not looking out of the realms of possibility, especially if Cooper retires at the end of 2020 and they could top up his contract then as well.

Active Now

• porouian
  • Behold
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Scdeac
  • Accept
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • ell.d33
  • Painin the Haas
  • Gobroncos
  • Cavalo
  • Jedhead
  • Maroon4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • Manofoneway
  • Organix
  • Justwin
  • Tmac
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.