NEWS Pursuit over as Broncos finally get their man

He's right. Croft is unproven. I hope he proves me wrong but what we need is an out and out proven game managing winner in the number 7. The age difference with Deardon and Croft isn't much, if we're going with youth and inexperience, we may as well persevere with Deardon at 7.
How can we both support the same team but yet fundamentally disagree on every single thing in the universe.

I just don't get it

Last edited:
Ok.

If Croft couldn't make it in the Storm system then what makes you think he'll make it in ours? Is he a proven winner in the number 7?
This has been explained several times over and I genuinely don't know how you've not been around these parts enough to have seen the logic behind the answer you seek already sprouted about this forum... It's the off season . I'm sure you've come across it.

Just to clarify the more balanced view on this, I’ll try to summarise:

- He is a gamble
- He is NOT an elite half at present but does have the potential to be
- He can kick field goals (in my opinion, that alone makes it worthwhile)
- Is a decent defender
- Has not set the world on fire
- Has been halfback in a GF, though his side lost to a team carrying their own halfback the whole game
- Is not on huge money (this one is super important because this club has three horrible contracts worth anywhere from a combined 1-1.5 million dollars that seriously affects any ability to sign the actual type of half the Broncs need
- Croft and Dearden now have to push each other, there are no guarantees
- Milford has needed competition and must now know he needs to get serious
- Croft struggled in the Storm system due to an apparent difficulty with a club legend but is this all there is to it?
- He is the current junior kangaroos halfback
- Very highly regarded junior before debuting with the Storm
- He is a risk but about all the club could afford due to some awful cap management
- Apparently only signed for two years, the same length of Milford’s current contract, so this encourages competition
- There just aren’t any legitimate salary cap concerns as there have been with other signings in recent years and prevents going for an absolutely established half of which there are precious few and absolutely none available that aren’t at grandpa age

Is that an ok summary?

And Cronk was a centre initially.
True but cronk is an exception, maybe he can be like cronk. But there's a reason the storm have let him go, as well as paying some freight. Since when did they ever do that?

True but cronk is an exception, maybe he can be like cronk. But there's a reason the storm have let him go, as well as paying some freight. Since when did they ever do that?
There was rumours of a personality clash between him and Smith. No idea how accurate they were though.

- He is a gamble
- Is a decent defender
- Has been halfback in a GF, though his side lost to a team carrying their own halfback the whole game
- Is not on huge money (this one is super important because this club has three horrible contracts worth anywhere from a combined 1-1.5 million dollars that seriously affects any ability to sign the actual type of half the Broncs need
- Croft struggled in the Storm system due to an apparent difficulty with a club legend but is this all there is to it?
- He is a risk but about all the club could afford due to some awful cap management
- Apparently only signed for two years, the same length of Milford’s current contract, so this encourages competition
- There just aren’t any legitimate salary cap concerns as there have been with other signings in recent years and prevents going for an absolutely established half of which there are precious few and absolutely none available that aren’t at grandpa age

Is that an ok summary?
Sounds about right.

It seems that Croft was stifled at Melbourne due to Smith and Munster’s dominance. His best games for them were during origin where he could play as a traditional dominant 7. Of course there’s a risk whether he’ll realise that form consistently in our team where he can be the dominant half. His defence was not great in the Melbourne games I’ve watched, though it’s hard to tell whether that’s his fault or just poor communication on that edge (Chambers and Vuni). It’s still a signing we needed because we simply cannot put the pressure on Dearden to lead us for a whole season.

There was rumours of a personality clash between him and Smith. No idea how accurate they were though.
Even so , Smith will be down after this year. If he was worth it they'd suck it up.

On the football side of things rather than egos and agendas, it’s undeniable that he is football fast...bloody quick. Imagine if we can get just a couple of our developing forwards to offload with him. A straight runner unlike headless chooks...could be damaging.
I’m honestly at a loss as to what will make some of you miserable bastards happy. Maybe time for a new club for some. The titans need fans ...

Even so , Smith will be down after this year. If he was worth it they'd suck it up.
If Smith can run the NRL he can run the Storm. Pretty sure he gets a rather large say. We don't even know for sure the coming season will be his last. All things considered this isn't a bad signing, it's exactly what we've been calling for since Benny Hunt left. As long as Dearden gets a shot if either of their form warrnts it then I'm pretty happy. What I don't wanna see is either of them being gifted the position for the whole year no matter how bad they are going.

- He is a gamble
- Is a decent defender

Is that an ok summary?
Too long, needs a summary

On the football side of things rather than egos and agendas, it’s undeniable that he is football fast...bloody quick. Imagine if we can get just a couple of our developing forwards to offload with him. A straight runner unlike headless chooks...could be damaging.
I’m honestly at a loss as to what will make some of you miserable bastards happy. Maybe time for a new club for some. The titans need fans ...
Or maybe we just aren't convinced he's our saviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly the "Croft couldn't make it for Melbourne" line is so boring and overused.

If you have a legitimate criticism by all means but it's a lazy criticism.

Thurston wasn't wanted by the dogs.
We didn't want Slater.
Ponga wasn't getting selected by the Cowboys.

There's a million reasons players don't succeed at one club, but it doesn't mean they're not worth a gamble.

I'm not saying he'll be a superstar but 400k X 2 years is an excellent gamble and he has more potential than anyone we have on our books for that position.

Last edited:
I now have us pencilled in as Premiers in 2020.

I absolutely love your confidence McHunt, but, I don't think we should get too far ahead of ourselves JUST yet. I am certainly much more optimistic for 2020 now we have a proper halfback instead of Turps stinkin it up, despite his best efforts. Seibs has something to work with now. Hopefully an attitude adjustment has taken place throughout many of the playing group, but if not, they are sent straight to QCup.

A nice little Xmas break soon for everyone then full steam ahead for 2020. Some good news about a signing like this makes all the difference and a little positivity never hurt anyone, right. 👍

Honestly the "Croft couldn't make it for Melbourne" line is so boring and overused.

If you have a legitimate criticism by all means but it's a lazy criticism.

Thurston wasn't wanted by the dogs.
We didn't want Slater.
Ponga wasn't getting selected by the Cowboys.

There's a million reasons players don't succeed at one club, but it doesn't mean they're not worth a gamble.

I'm not saying he'll be a superstar but 400k X 2 years is an excellent gamble and he has more potential than anyone we have on our books for that position.

Could you name anyone who has improved since leaving the Storm though?

Not saying that Croft is destined to fail just because the Storm let him go I’m just not totally convinced he’s exactly what we need.

Active Now

• ezpz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • Midean
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Redux
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • Organix
  • Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • cento
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.