Queensland Cup 2022

It would be great if DD could get Bunn up to the broncos. It is no coincidence that usually where he goes success generally follows

What a lot of emotive made up rubbish if you can't talk about an issue in the game without talking such complete crap you're a terrible fan.

The point is I have never said anything negative about Broncos and it is possible to just like league of all levels ISC and Broncos don't have to be exclusive of each other.

I have a season ticket to the Broncos and go every week and shock horror manage to watch and enjoy ISC too.

The very point is what is best for the Broncos, that's what I am attempting to find out that's what discussion is- if no one says anything about the past you just repeat the same thing again.

I don't think a reserve grade is the plan because it costs too much and will produce too little like NYC.

I don't think a single ISC team is the answer because it's failed and because the other way has been done well and I think you want to take as much from the competition as you can- why limit yourself.

What a lot of emotive made up rubbish if you can't talk about an issue in the game without talking such complete crap you're a terrible fan.

The point is I have never said anything negative about Broncos and it is possible to just like league of all levels ISC and Broncos don't have to be exclusive of each other.

I have a season ticket to the Broncos and go every week and shock horror manage to watch and enjoy ISC too.

The very point is what is best for the Broncos, that's what I am attempting to find out that's what discussion is- if no one says anything about the past you just repeat the same thing again.

I don't think a reserve grade is the plan because it costs too much and will produce too little like NYC.

I don't think a single ISC team is the answer because it's failed and because the other way has been done well and I think you want to take as much from the competition as you can- why limit yourself.

I'm interested to hear why you think a genuine reserve grade competition wouldnt work. The cost part of it i understand, but i cant see a negative in NRL clubs having a reserve grade competition. It would no doubt have some effect on the standard of Queensland cup, but i cant see why it wouldnt work. You couldnt leave things the way they are as you would need bigger than a 30 man squad unless you were still going to be reliant other lower grades of footy to supplement players.

Maybe it does but If I am Dave and Ikin I want to hear more than that from your pitch and the first two things I am asking is why did it work at the Storm the exact system you say is broken and what have you fixed from the other two times?
I'm not sure they the storm are working the same system as the Broncos though. I'm pretty sure that unless it's changed recently the storm appoint the head coaches at falcons and tigers, at cup and colts, and I think systems in place at storm are replicated through q cup and colts
So while the squads aren't necessarily all storm contracted the clubs are an extension of storm methodology. I don't see this approach between broncos and its feeders. Maybe that's the difference if we have to stay attached to q cup clubs.

The reserve grade competition wouldn't need to have top 30 or 40 players though. The reserve grade team I posted earlier are all under contract but if needed, the NRL should allow a lot of movement in the reserve grade competition. Clubs would need more funding from the NRL as well, but the NRL are making millions so they could spare some extra.

The QLD teams might not be disadvantaged (I disagree) but having our players spread out, playing in poor teams and being stuck at teams like Souths Logan just because that's their junior club does not benefit us at all.

I don't think it's helping Mam by playing in a team full of young fellas and those not making the move any time soon. A mix of young guys and senior players would suit him better in my opinion. Halves need to be surrounded by leaders to build on their own leadership, otherwise he will get complacent sitting on the wings doing nothing. He needs help.

The Q Cup should always exist, but the difference between Q Cup and NRL is too much and very few players can make the jump. A proper reserve grade competition, where you're playing with and against the next level of players would be beneficial to this entire competition. I get that taking those players won't be good for the Q Cup too, but that competition isn't trying to grow. Hence taking their games to their own website instead of trying to grow their audience on Kayo.

NRL
Reserve Grade
Q Cup - NSW Cup
I think we're on the same page as far as something has to be done, but we just have different solutions.

If we take Ezra Mam as an example I don't think anybody at the start of the year had an issue with him being affiliated with Souths Logan at the start of the year. Ezra was always a quality prospect but he really made a name for himself there and it seemed as good a fit as any. The issue is, the Broncos chose not to re-sign Josh James who suited his game and instead they've promoted Harradyn Wilson who doesn't compliment Ezra's game. Mam is still having some decent touches but he's struggling because the Broncos aren't giving him the support he needs.

It's these type of decisions that make me wary about the Broncos reviving Aspley and running their own team. They've shown me nothing since the death of the Clydesdales to suggest they'd take it seriously and do a better job than they're currently doing.

I believe they need to work more hands on with the Magpies and help recruit some more train and trialist. I like the inclusion of Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges on the coaching staff for MM, I'd like to see more Broncos staff involved with the Magpies. It would help get them experience, create a pathway to the NRL and help streamline the system moving forward. They also desperately need to fix that 18-21 age bracket. Right now it's feast or famine with only a handful of players signed in that age bracket outside of the NRL squad. If it was me, I'd have 40 kids I'd work hands on with teaching them the NRL system and if it nabs you six players who can play NRL you're laughing all the way to the bank.

The NRL could introduce a reserve grade competition but I don't believe it should be the priority. I believe they need to focus more on grass roots and bringing the game into schools. They need to cultivate a beneficial image to the parents and help make it safer for these kids. They need to raise those numbers up, help get those at risk youths a stronger support network and raise those numbers up so you have this overflow of talent.

We all followed the 20s and I can't remember one occasion where there was an outcry for more teams because there simply wasn't enough spots to compensate the talent coming through. More often than not it was the complete opposite. The 20s was designed to fix that and initially it looked good, but coaches figured out early that 20s form was an unreliable guide.

I'm interested to hear why you think a genuine reserve grade competition wouldnt work. The cost part of it i understand, but i cant see a negative in NRL clubs having a reserve grade competition. It would no doubt have some effect on the standard of Queensland cup, but i cant see why it wouldnt work. You couldnt leave things the way they are as you would need bigger than a 30 man squad unless you were still going to be reliant other lower grades of footy to supplement players.

Cost and effort- I don't think clubs want either. We saw during Covid how 15 minutes in they had to cut costs because they were all losing money. An extra team and staff will take 25 guys on a trip. that blows costs out and I don't think you will gain much.

Everyone used the exact same arguments with NYC- how it would be great football, bring clubs together with the best kids playing- it was going to be a football utopia every week.

Clubs put their players in the ISC because the football was so bad and then it was gone.

Added in would be salary too, are they going to be professional? If you want people to quit their jobs you have to pay them and that means at least 100k for 30 extra players? How's it muck around the cap then too?

I can see a giant balls up.

I think we're on the same page as far as something has to be done, but we just have different solutions.

If we take Ezra Mam as an example I don't think anybody at the start of the year had an issue with him being affiliated with Souths Logan at the start of the year. Ezra was always a quality prospect but he really made a name for himself there and it seemed as good a fit as any. The issue is, the Broncos chose not to re-sign Josh James who suited his game and instead they've promoted Harradyn Wilson who doesn't compliment Ezra's game. Mam is still having some decent touches but he's struggling because the Broncos aren't giving him the support he needs.

It's these type of decisions that make me wary about the Broncos reviving Aspley and running their own team. They've shown me nothing since the death of the Clydesdales to suggest they'd take it seriously and do a better job than they're currently doing.

I believe they need to work more hands on with the Magpies and help recruit some more train and trialist. I like the inclusion of Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges on the coaching staff for MM, I'd like to see more Broncos staff involved with the Magpies. It would help get them experience, create a pathway to the NRL and help streamline the system moving forward. They also desperately need to fix that 18-21 age bracket. Right now it's feast or famine with only a handful of players signed in that age bracket outside of the NRL squad. If it was me, I'd have 40 kids I'd work hands on with teaching them the NRL system and if it nabs you six players who can play NRL you're laughing all the way to the bank.

The NRL could introduce a reserve grade competition but I don't believe it should be the priority. I believe they need to focus more on grass roots and bringing the game into schools. They need to cultivate a beneficial image to the parents and help make it safer for these kids. They need to raise those numbers up, help get those at risk youths a stronger support network and raise those numbers up so you have this overflow of talent.

We all followed the 20s and I can't remember one occasion where there was an outcry for more teams because there simply wasn't enough spots to compensate the talent coming through. More often than not it was the complete opposite. The 20s was designed to fix that and initially it looked good, but coaches figured out early that 20s form was an unreliable guide.

Damn Bronco hater.

Well said. Surely Ikin, who constantly talks about the utopian football program he is wanting to build should have his hand all over the affiliated cup teams. ,

Cost and effort- I don't think clubs want either. We saw during Covid how 15 minutes in they had to cut costs because they were all losing money. An extra team and staff will take 25 guys on a trip. that blows costs out and I don't think you will gain much.

Everyone used the exact same arguments with NYC- how it would be great football, bring clubs together with the best kids playing- it was going to be a football utopia every week.

Clubs put their players in the ISC because the football was so bad and then it was gone.

Added in would be salary too, are they going to be professional? If you want people to quit their jobs you have to pay them and that means at least 100k for 30 extra players? How's it muck around the cap then too?

I can see a giant balls up.

i think it could work, but there would be plenty to work on To get it up and running. I don’t think the NRL would be overly keen because it would more than likely involve them chipping in.

i think it could work, but there would be plenty to work on To get it up and running. I don’t think the NRL would be overly keen because it would more than likely involve them chipping in.
I think The tyranny of distance comes into it as well as cost. It would disadvantage a team like the Cowboys or Warriors, while benefitting a team like the Roosters or Panthers.

Then you have to factor in that currently, Sydney is already oversaturated with Rugby league as it is, so it would be like having essentially 34 teams instead of 17. And Q cup and NSW cup currently don't have the supporter base the NRL does. Would a separate reserve grade based of the current NRL model meet the same fate as the under 20's did?

The outside the box option that is the NRL/NRL clubs develop the NRL reserve grade competition in a dying/dead regional country league somewhere, where the long distance travel can ideally be taken out of it, the players can all relocate to it, but the area is still a big enough region to support it.

Turpin playing for Wynnum. What a mess of a game to play hooker.

Nice change of direction and Turpin turns Saitaua for a try.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.