Queenslanders' passion for sport

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
This isn't ENTIRELY related to State of Origin but I think this is the most appropriate of forums to put this topic into. But have a look at this for sport attendances in Brisbane over the last week.

Firebirds grand final win - 3,500 people - sold out in 20 minutes
State of Origin 1 - 52,000 - sold out in an hour
Suncorp double header - 32,000 people - good crowd considering it was NOT a Broncos home game
Doomben 10,000 day - 12,000 people - GREAT crowd considering absence of Black Caviar and Hay List
Reds v Crusaders - expecting 50,000 today - Ticketek website indicates only Restricted View seats available

Outstanding stuff, nearly 150,000 people attending sporting events in Brisbane in the space of a week. And to think that if Brisbane had a stadium that could hold 100,000 people, Origin still would've sold out, whereas down south they are STRUGGLING to sell-out an 80,000 capacity stadium for an Origin game.

Just goes to show that the passion goes up a notch or twelve when you cross the border driving north.

Queenslander's passion for sport

Holy crap, those numbers are awesome! Yeah we're pretty rad like that.

They also got over 20000 at the suns game

Re: Queenslander's passion for sport

And Melbourne has the balls to call itself the sporting capital. Throw the A-league final in for good measure, even though that wasn't this week end it's just another sporting event up here that went bananas.

Melbourne is the sporting capital of australia imo

Shaun **** up.

The Rock said:
get-off-your-high-horse.jpg

While you're right, QLD seem to love their sport more than anywhere else (Their IQ's aren't high enough to develop an interest in any other social activity, that's why) but this is the sort of arrogance that this country is against. Queenslanders are fast becoming the most hated state. Used to be NSW (because other states eny us) but Queenslanders are constantly on their high horse about how passionate they are about sport, how great their weather is (lolz...had some nice weather there in Jan) and how awesome they are at...well, just about everything. - All Queenslanders seem to do is talk about themselves and how great they are.

Fact is, Queenslanders believe they are Queenslanders first, and Australian second. How sad is that? This isn't what our country is about. You are supposed to be Australian FIRST and firemost. Even your dumb arse premier Anna Blight said it during the QLD floods - She rambled off some political tripe about how you are Queenslanders and how tough you are. No, you're not tough because you're Queenslanders, you're tough because you're Australian.

Queenslanders may as well seperate themselves from the rest of the country because clearly, that's how they feel about it.

Sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome we are.

The Rock said:
Queenslanders may as well seperate themselves from the rest of the country because clearly, that's how they feel about it.

And the problem is?

The Rock said:
draggx said:
[quote="The Rock":ewjtojao]

And the problem is?

^^My point exactly.[/quote:ewjtojao]

You talk about Queenslanders have low IQ's.... Yet you shut one tunnel in Sydney and all of a sudden a game fails to sell out because you are all to stupid to know how to take a detour... Maybe you should use that high IQ you have and work out you have more then 1 road...

Adding to love for sport as well, The REDS game is officially SOLD OUT!

I think Shaun might have a valid point in there somewhere, it's just not very clear when he is trying too hard to be insulting and making himself look pathetic.

It's silly to suggest there is a "sporting capital" anywhere IMO. Queensland has had a pretty good run with many different sports recently, and no surprise, crowds started turning up. This isn't exclusive to our state, fairweather fans can be found in every sport the world over.

Firebirds - It was the grand final and it was only 3,500 people....
Origin - Queensland are about as strong as they have ever been in their history, we have just won 5 in a row and will probably make it 6 this season, 'nuff said. Origin always attracts non league fans to the sporting fold as well.
Double header - It doesnt matter that it wasn't a "home" game for us, it was still in Brisbane. And 32,000 is about what the Broncos should hope to pull at every game held at Suncorp considering we're the only team in the city.
Doomben - There probably would have been more if Black Caviar was racing, but I'd say a shitload of people made plans to get their drink on at the races and didn't change their minds because one horse wasn't racing. Just saying.
Reds - I don't think the Reds have ever been going as well as they are atm. 3 years ago going to a Reds game would have been the Rugby Union equivalent of a Souths game, now they are winning however, the crowds are turning up in droves. (Funnily enough despite the large crowds apparently Reds games are so quiet it's embarassing)
The Roar - Lost 1 game all season, of course they were gonna get a huge crowd to the final.

Sorry to piss on your bonfire jeb, but the support these teams are getting isn't that special. Considering it's mostly based on the success of said teams, the crowds would be the same almost anywhere else.

The Rock said:
Scotty said:
I think Shaun might have a valid point in there somewhere, it's just not very clear when he is trying too hard to be insulting and making himself look pathetic.

I don't have to try very hard to insult Queenslanders. It's actually quite easy - Like now. I made a valid point that Queenslanders love themselves too much, and one particular example of that is definitely this thread.

You say you don't have to try very hard, but you do in almost every thread. Even if your point is valid, you're busting your guts looking for a bite [icon_lol1. It's fucking sad mate

Scotty said:
You say you don't have to try very hard, but you do in almost every thread. Even if your point is valid, you're busting your guts looking for a bite [icon_lol1. It's **** sad mate
Spot on! It doesn't get any more pathetic than that really... [icon_lol1.

Scotty said:

It's silly to suggest there is a "sporting capital" anywhere IMO. Queensland has had a pretty good run with many different sports recently, and no surprise, crowds started turning up. This isn't exclusive to our state, fairweather fans can be found in every sport the world over.

Origin - Queensland are about as strong as they have ever been in their history, we have just won 5 in a row and will probably make it 6 this season, 'nuff said. Origin always attracts non league fans to the sporting fold as well.
Double header - It doesnt matter that it wasn't a "home" game for us, it was still in Brisbane. And 32,000 is about what the Broncos should hope to pull at every game held at Suncorp considering we're the only team in the city.
Doomben - There probably would have been more if Black Caviar was racing, but I'd say a shitload of people made plans to get their drink on at the races and didn't change their minds because one horse wasn't racing. Just saying.
Reds - I don't think the Reds have ever been going as well as they are atm. 3 years ago going to a Reds game would have been the Rugby Union equivalent of a Souths game, now they are winning however, the crowds are turning up in droves. (Funnily enough despite the large crowds apparently Reds games are so quiet it's embarassing)
The Roar - Lost 1 game all season, of course they were gonna get a huge crowd to the final.

Sorry to piss on your bonfire jeb, but the support these teams are getting isn't that special. Considering it's mostly based on the success of said teams, the crowds would be the same almost anywhere else.

You have just totally, completely missed the point I made Scotty. Like, totally.

The Rock said:
Busting my gut looking for a bite? Dunno, this thread is full of nibbles, looks like I didn't have to try very hard for a bite. I reckon you're just getting too old and bitter these days Scotty, everything I post you seem to follow me around and try and white-ant the whole origin concept by telling me I'm looking for a bite, even though I'm actually trying to raise a valid point.

[icon_shru I've only done it like twice haven't I? [icon_lol1. Yeah, must be getting old, cranky and senile. Thats it!

Jeba said:
Scotty said:

You have just totally, completely missed the point I made Scotty. Like, totally.

[eusa_eh How have I missed it?

Isn't your point that Queenslanders show more passion towards sports, which you based on the recent attendance figures from sporting events in our state?

The Rock said:
Busting my gut looking for a bite? Dunno, this thread is full of nibbles, looks like I didn't have to try very hard for a bite. I reckon you're just getting too old and bitter these days Scotty, everything I post you seem to follow me around and try and white-ant the whole origin concept by telling me I'm looking for a bite, even though I'm actually trying to raise a valid point.

All three of you, on topic. If you wish to continue the debate on Rocky vs. The Rest, please feel free to take it to it's own thread.

My point was that we had nearly 150,000 fans attend sporting events across Brisbane in a week (170,000 if you include the Suns game), with 2 of those events selling out in less than 1 hour, 1 selling out just prior to kickoff and another with a huge crowd figure compared to the same event of previous years, and huge considering 2 MAJOR drawcards were not there.

I was not making the point about individual support for these teams. Obviously if they have more success they will draw a crowd. That's obvious. What is impressive, is 150,000 people, going to sporting events, in the space of 1 week, in a city of just over 2 million people. Below the border, there is a stadium that will struggle to be full for a big State of Origin game in a city of double the amount of people.

Therefore we are awesome and they are not.

We are good and Rocky is shit (that's the main point I was making [icon_wink )

I still don't think it's beyond another city to pull those numbers. It's cool that we're so enthusiastic about so many sports, but we're not that special IMO.

Yes we are. You can pick up your blue jersey on your way out.

Active Now

• peter09
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Dash
  • The True King
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.