Racism drama in the U20's

So as the descendant of a convict, who was brought to this country against their will in the hold of a filthy boat, and nobody gave a **** if they lived or died, for the heinous crime of stealing a loaf of bread to feed their starving family, am I supposed to feel guilty about the plight of the Aboriginal Australians by my people? Am I supposed to feel guilty because white Americans, a people I have no association with, bought slaves and treated them like shit(many of these slaves were sold to them by black people in Africa, why this is often glossed over I don't know, they were already slaves before whitey got his hands on them)

Sorry but you'll all have to forgive me for not feeling an ounce of guilt.

So as the descendant of a convict, who was brought to this country against their will in the hold of a filthy boat, and nobody gave a **** if they lived or died, for the heinous crime of stealing a loaf of bread to feed their starving family, am I supposed to feel guilty about the plight of the Aboriginal Australians by my people? Am I supposed to feel guilty because white Americans, a people I have no association with, bought slaves and treated them like shit(many of these slaves were sold to them by black people in Africa, why this is often glossed over I don't know, they were already slaves before whitey got his hands on them)

Sorry but you'll all have to forgive me for not feeling an ounce of guilt.

This isn't about guilt or blame. It's a matter of acknowledging what they've gone through, historically, and just avoiding anything that can be taken as prejudice or discrimination. Would you make gas chamber jokes in front of a Jew, even though it wasn't you or your ancestors responsible for the holocaust?

Nigger, boong, coon, even just the word black, were historically used as direct insults towards black people. They're all loaded with precedent. Hence why over the years terms like coloured, African-American, Indigenous have been preferred as descriptors.

This isn't about guilt or blame. It's a matter of acknowledging what they've gone through, historically, and just avoiding anything that can be taken as prejudice or discrimination. Would you make gas chamber jokes in front of a Jew, even though it wasn't you or your ancestors responsible for the holocaust?

Nigger, boong, coon, even just the word black, were historically used as direct insults towards black people. They're all loaded with precedent. Hence why over the years terms like coloured, African-American, Indigenous have been preferred as descriptors.

Ok but I don't ask anyone to acknowledge what my great-great-great-great-great(or whatever) Grandfather went through. What's done is done and nobody alive today is to blame.

I'm not sure how to respond to your other points. I have great friends who are black or aboriginal and we all enjoy racist jokes while we are amongst each other. But no, I wouldn't say them to strangers.

Ok but I don't ask anyone to acknowledge what my great-great-great-great-great(or whatever) Grandfather went through. What's done is done and nobody alive today is to blame.

I'm not sure how to respond to your other points. I have great friends who are black or aboriginal and we all enjoy racist jokes while we are amongst each other. But no, I wouldn't say them to strangers.

There are plenty of people still alive today who are perpetuating racist stereotypes, and it is still doing a great deal of harm.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • Gaz
  • mystico
  • Old Mate
  • Rookie Alan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.