Rd25, Broncos vs Cowboys - Build up thread

A

Astroboy

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
Replay has just finished here. That was a gutsy win. I think we did quite well all things considered, up against a very desperate Cows team. Loved the commitment in defence, especially towards the end of the game. Concede only 2 tries max per game and you'll win most of them.

Another thing about that defence - Those 2 tries scored against us tonight were the ONLY 2 tries against us in 2 AND A HALF GAMES, and they were from an intercept and a bomb so neither of them was a breach of our defensive line. So the Broncos line has not been cracked in 200 minutes of football. THAT'S the sort of defence you need at this end of the season. [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

There were too many dropped balls for my liking but other than that there was much to like. Yow yeh's try was fun to watch!

Not sure we can really complain about the reffing as some have (unlike last week when the Dragons home crowd influence was in full swing). NRL stats say we won the penalty count 8-5. Izzy's try was from a forward pass and Glenn's looked 50/50 - so often those calls seem to go against us but we got one tonight. On the other hand that no penalty when they pushed us over 10 metres back in goal was a bit silly. Don't know if that was a knock-on at the end or not after watching a couple of replays. I think there were just plenty of bad calls both ways and maybe they evened out. Good to see Lockyer fired up about something he obviously saw as not right though. Just wish he was as fired up when we really have had some dud ref's performances go against us, I can remember a few season-ending losses when that's been the case.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Now if storm lose this week and next. we could very well come up against the EELS in week one at suncorp...

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The Rock said:
ningnangnong said:
Anyway, much to improve on.

Like? I'd say we've got a few little things to work on but there's not "much".

We don't need to improve on our defence because clearly it's been outstanding in the last 4 weeks. We just have to continue it. Improvements needed are:

A) Sometimes we're too flat, we need to just be a little bit more patient at times and work it up the middle.
B) 5th tackle options. A few of them have been a bit shotty in the last 2 weeks.

They are the only real improvements needed really.

You've pretty much covered it in your post. [icon_wink

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Folau had a shocker. I don't know if it was being in the centres, or being on the left, or the injury, or just being his first game back, but hopefully he's back in form next week.

I think the defence was great, not quite the level of last week but still 10x better than any of the 5-6 games prior.

Handling was awful and consequently the attack never really got together. The refs were terrible too. We had a couple of big decisions go our way, but a heap of little ones go against us. The cowboys were sooooooo slooooow to get up the entire game, which probably didn't help our attack either.

LOVE seeing Locky fired up like that, both at the ref and in the sheds after the game. If he's excitable and really vocal then it suggests to me he genuinely believes we've got a shot this year.

Kudos to Yow Yeh, he's been stellar since returning to first grade - barely putting a foot wrong.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The Rock said:
ningnangnong said:
Anyway, much to improve on.

Like? I'd say we've got a few little things to work on but there's not "much".

We don't need to improve on our defence because clearly it's been outstanding in the last 4 weeks. We just have to continue it. Improvements needed are:

A) Sometimes we're too flat, we need to just be a little bit more patient at times and work it up the middle.
B) 5th tackle options. A few of them have been a bit shotty in the last 2 weeks.

They are the only real improvements needed really.

I agree, but for mine our line speed in defence was nowhere as good as last week where as the Cows was great. They were in our face all night bending us back, just as we did against the dragoons but didn't tonight.

Folau is lost at centre.

Carroll ..., well, I'd rather Clinton.

shadow

shadow

NYC Player
May 9, 2009
geeez give izzy a break.......first game back, hand injury, a few dropped balls - but among many in the team.........he'll get better there each game...

defence was pretty good tonight...

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Izzy was horrible tbh, Michaels may of did a better job! However I'm willing to give him BOD because he's an awesome player back from an injury and had another injury while playing. Hopefully he comes back a lot better next week.

A

Astroboy

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
For all the things we need to improve whether few or many, I'm just damn happy that for the 4th week in a row we're discussing a win, sure beats the hell out of what was going on in the middle third of the season - and the fact that the only 2 tries scored against us in the last 200 minutes of football have been lucky flukes. The fact that a win next week will ensure we are in the finals and at this point could quite possibly see us finish 4th is a situation I would have accepted gleefully without hesitation 4 weeks ago.

shadow

shadow

NYC Player
May 9, 2009
Astroboy said:
For all the things we need to improve whether few or many, I'm just damn happy that for the 4th week in a row we're discussing a win, sure beats the hell out of what was going on in the middle third of the season - and the fact that the only 2 tries scored against us in the last 200 minutes of football have been lucky flukes. The fact that a win next week will ensure we are in the finals and at this point could quite possibly see us finish 4th is a situation I would have accepted gleefully without hesitation 4 weeks ago.

agreed..........will be bloody great if melbourne, manly and newcastle get beaten this weekend...

and even better if the broncs sign hayne for his next contract........until the last few months i hated the guy, but his recent behaviour has been great, and i agree with those who reckon he's lightyears in front as the best fullback (if not player) in the game at the moment....

A

Astroboy

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
The Rock said:
Astroboy said:

We're 99.9% chance of making the 8 now. Only way we can't make it is if we lose to Raiders next week and the Tigers beat both the Titans and then Dogs next week. We're home. 19 straight finals series!

I doubt we'll finish 4th, we'll somehow have to hope Manly, Newcastle and Melbourne some how screw up. (See Coxy's thread of finals scenarios) I think finishing 6th is the most likely right now and I think this is a good result for us considering we'll play the Titans in the first week.

Thanks - you've obviously looked at it more carefully than me. All I really knew was if we win we can't go lower on the table (and we're in the 8 as it stands) and there were some scenarios with other results that could have had us finishing 4th. As you say it's probably not that likely, but 6th would still be pretty damn good considering how we were going a month ago.

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
Funny actually - all the lead up to this game I was calling for Tunza's head - and his first stint was incredibly underwhelming - but his second stint was a great compliment to Thiaday - though he is nowhere near his best - his is giving some of the younger boys some direction - tell you what though, I really felt we missed McGuire tonight, needed his mongrel as Watts and Burns got all over us, a bit of fire would have gone a long way (I hope he gets a run next week so he has played before the finals - it is prolly worthwhile rotating prior to the final series)

Though it is nice being in the position of having too many players and not enough spots for them all - much better this way around then the other

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
broncospwn said:
Izzy was horrible tbh, Michaels may of did a better job! However I'm willing to give him BOD because he's an awesome player back from an injury and had another injury while playing. Hopefully he comes back a lot better next week.

May HAVE. All this talk about how you were going to clean up your act... come on. It's not even funny anymore.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Give Izzy a break he hasn't played for 2 months ffs. The Broncos will have learnt alot from the game last night which is a good thing considering the finals are just around the corner.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
Astroboy said:

We're 99.9% chance of making the 8 now. Only way we can't make it is if we lose to Raiders next week and the Tigers beat both the Titans and then Dogs next week. We're home. 19 straight finals series!

I doubt we'll finish 4th, we'll somehow have to hope Manly, Newcastle and Melbourne some how screw up. (See Coxy's thread of finals scenarios) I think finishing 6th is the most likely right now and I think this is a good result for us considering we'll play the Titans in the first week.

it is only 18 straight finals series [icon_razz1

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Beads6 said:
Give Izzy a break he hasn't played for 2 months ffs. The Broncos will have learnt alot from the game last night which is a good thing considering the finals are just around the corner.

x 2. Glad that he got a game under his belt and we won. He'll be firing by week 1 of the finals. He looked maybe a bit timid.
Hodgo was on fire

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Well we got there. Still not seeing why we spent so much money on Izzy, even before injury he was doing f-all.

Active Now

• mystico
  • Cavalo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • kman
  • winslow_wong
  • The Strapper
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • phoenix
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.