Rd25, Broncos vs Cowboys - Build up thread

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah, Izzy had a bad game, but so did most of them. I just cringed at some points. Had a lot of dropped ball.

Refs screwed us royally, and only started to see penalties in the second half.

Yow Yeh was awesome with that try.

Need to improve, but I'll take the win.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
My thoughts, it was a scrappy game, due to a number of contributing factors such as the heat, playing a desperate side trying to save their season, and some dodgy refereeing around the ruck. It could have been a very easy game to lose for the boys, so well done to get over them.

I thought they went away from something that worked really well against the dragons last week and I thought could have worked equally well against a big cowboys pack, that is, turning it back inside and changing the angle of attack through the forwards. In the first half they just kept trying to go wide to either Taylor or Thaiday. They tried it a little in the second half with some results.

I am willing to give Izzy the benefit of the doubt as well, though it appeared for some reason last night that the attack was quite disjointed in comparison to the previous two weeks. I really like the way that McCullough is developing, he is going to be a gun hooker IMO. I thought that Corey Parker had another good game with a lot of effort. He looked really distressed at the end of the game, does anyone know whether he was just stuffed or whether he picked up an injury.

Wallace was very good in defence and generally our scramble defence and on-line defence were excellent. The cowboys certainly shut down Taylor last night. All in all very happy with the win and I am hoping that other results fall our way over the weekend.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I don't know what people are saying about Folau having a bad game? He was quiet as we didn't go his way alot and generally Taylor was getting wrapped up as soon as he got it so Folau saw no ball. He also didn't miss a single tackle according to NRLStats and considering how long he was out and that they clearly targeted him I would say that was a very good effort.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think Folau was just a tad rusty after being out for 7 weeks, combine that with him trying to get used to a new side of the field and a position he hasn't played for most of the year. thats why he was a bit quiet IMO, he will be better for the run and has another game to fine tune before the finals

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Foordy said:
I think Folau was just a tad rusty after being out for 7 weeks, combine that with him trying to get used to a new side of the field and a position he hasn't played for most of the year. thats why he was a bit quiet IMO, he will be better for the run and has another game to fine tune before the finals

+1

There was nothing poor about his performance in fact it is encouraging that he was in a new position and defended well.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Gymp said:
Foordy said:

+1

There was nothing poor about his performance in fact it is encouraging that he was in a new position and defended well.

He dropped the ball almost everytime it went his way. He was awful.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
The Gymp said:
Foordy said:

+1

He dropped the ball almost everytime it went his way. He was awful.

Didn't he have a broken finger or something?? He was poor but we know he will only get better.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Not sure why people are being defensive about Folau. No-one's calling for him to be dropped, and everyone's acknowledging that he was out of position and it was his first game back, but he really wasn't good. [icon_shru

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Folau wasn't good, but he'll get better. I'm still willing to put it down to his injured fingers and coming back from a serious injury.

Anyway, don't think there's any point in moving him back onto the wing now. Yow Yeh is more or less doing exactly what Folau was doing there, except maybe the jumping for the high ball in attack part, but surely they'll want to try it sometime soon considering some of the defensive takes he made last night.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Alec said:
Anyway, don't think there's any point in moving him back onto the wing now. Yow Yeh is more or less doing exactly what Folau was doing there, except maybe the jumping for the high ball in attack part, but surely they'll want to try it sometime soon considering some of the defensive takes he made last night.

Yow Yeh is excellent under the high ball.

I think when we are defending close to our line, Folau should drop back to wing and Winterstein move into the centres on the fourth or fifth tackle. May have prevented a try last night.

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Side note...

Did anyone see Hunt drinking water last night, he went to have another drink and the trainer grabbed the bottle off him and told him no more... the look on Hunts face was priceless, its like he didn't know if he should be mad or cry, Replays on FOX 2 now, watch for it, funny as hell.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Watch that Yow Yeh try at 18 seconds.

Lockyer. That's the heart the Broncos have been missing.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Gotta love the lil jump Lockyer puts in haha.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Nashy said:
Lockyer. That's the heart the Broncos have been missing.

He's just a legend isn't he.

If half of the players on our team shared the passion of Lockyer, we'd be a lot further up in the table.

His reaction when we lost in the finals against Melbourne last year said it all for me. True champion.

user_nat

user_nat

NRL Player
Aug 29, 2009
Well I guess this is a good place to make a first post.

Line defense was quite great last night, but far to many mistakes in attack.
Sometimes I would like to know how a charge down isn't considered playing at the ball, if they aren't going for the ball.. what are they going for?

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
user_nat said:
Sometimes I would like to know how a charge down isn't considered playing at the ball, if they aren't going for the ball.. what are they going for?

I wonder this at least once a month. Their decisions are inconsistent and don't seem to make sense a lot of the time. I don't even know what the actual rule is [icon_shru

Just saw on NRL stats that McCullough made 44 tackles and only missed 1! Great effort from the young fella, and it didn't seem to take anything away from his attack either.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
user_nat said:
Well I guess this is a good place to make a first post.

Line defense was quite great last night, but far to many mistakes in attack.

My benchmark for Bronco line defence was v Dragoons. Right up in their faces with great line speed and stinging defence.

Last night was ordinary. Too often we just waited for them to come to us.

Yeah, the tackling was good but we gave them too many metres, where they really punished us.

Which, of course, made the win even sweeter. However, against say the Eels and Dogs, we have to really run at their attack or they'll shred us.

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • Maroon4life
  • Sproj
  • MrMoore
  • Galco
  • Brocko
  • Gaz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • thenry
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Jedhead
  • bert_lifts
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.