Rebuilding the Broncos

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
What do we think about Thaiday and Parker as co-captains?

Function over form, Parker is the leader on-field.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
What do we think about Thaiday and Parker as co-captains?

Function over form, Parker is the leader on-field.

In an ideal world, no, but to be honest it may be the only diplomatic way to let Thaiday worry about his own game and have a true leader lead the team on the park.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
IMO, having an 80 minute captain is not an absolute must. Petero's time at Penrith proved that. Steve Price anyone? The majority of club captains are spine players, and the fact that those roles are singular and critical is the reason that players in those positions often require leadership skills in order to do their job.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Parker should be captain to groom Glenn (or DCE) for the role when he retires. The Broncs just need to admit what everyone knows, making Thaiday captain was a rather large mistake.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Agree with those saying to drop the (c) from Thaiday. A clean break is always better than a messy transition.

We keep hearing how Hook is not afraid to drop the hard news, well, time to prove it now.

qlderxxxx

qlderxxxx

BRL Player
Jul 9, 2013
Too bad Hodges can never string a full season together, I honestly think he is the best option for captain in the side. I think he proved it this year with how he lead the team around the park, in terms of creating spark when needed or getting up players behind the goal line etc. He has grown into a mature head and I believe he's the real leader around the place.

As big a fan of Parker as I am, he looks more of a leader by 'doing' than a leader by 'inspiration' like Hodges, with most of our side still young I believe we need the latter kind of leader.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Agree with those saying to drop the (c) from Thaiday. A clean break is always better than a messy transition.

We keep hearing how Hook is not afraid to drop the hard news, well, time to prove it now.

You would have to think that if Griffin is given another chance to prove himself as our coach in 2014 after such a poor season this year then Thaiday will also be given the same opportunity as our captain.

I do agree that we should not go down the route of co-captains, Thaiday is either captain or not on his own, same with Parker and Glenn or whoever else.

L

Lockyfan05

BRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
parra style cleanout please. we've needed it for years.

bye bye captain sam. bye bye hannant. bye bye generic forward/second rower numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4. bye bye generic slow with no natural football talent backs.

lets get some players who want to play football for the Broncos, but more importantly want to WIN. the current crop apart from a small few just seem to want to collect those big fat overinflated paycheques while putting in as little effort as possible.

I agree with most of these points. May I suggest some of my own?

- Sack Maranta (all he does is ruin great attacking opportunities)
- Give Yow Yeh a centre spot (we need this bloke on the field. even if he's not 100% match fit, his very presence and hunger will lift the team)
- Persist with Hunt at halfback (he's showed he's got the potential to be a star #7.)
- Make Parker captain (he's been overlooked for too long, time to give him the gong)
_ give McGuire a starting prop spot (we need his aggression and persistence)
- Drop Thaiday to the bench (he hasnt played decent football in over two years)
- Keep Stagg in the side (he knows what it takes to make ac grand final)
- Sign as many big boppers and energetic young guns as possible (honestly, we havent had a superstar emerge from our ranks since Karmichael Hunt
- Keep Hannant( we need him cause he always gives 110%

qlderxxxx

qlderxxxx

BRL Player
Jul 9, 2013
Can someone explain the Ben Hannant hate on here to me?

I've never seen him give less than 110%. I've never seen him not make metres or a large amount of tackles. He had injury issues this year but was superb besides this.

I still believe he's in the top 5 front rowers in the comp, what is going on with all the hate?

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
If Yow Yeh could develop into a centre in the Justin Hodges mould (strong off the mark, good from dummy half and putting his winger away) he wouldn't need the pace and agility that he is showed on the wing.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Can someone explain the Ben Hannant hate on here to me?

I've never seen him give less than 110%. I've never seen him not make metres or a large amount of tackles. He had injury issues this year but was superb besides this.

I still believe he's in the top 5 front rowers in the comp, what is going on with all the hate?
hes been on huge money for years, and although he might give 110% his 110% isnt even say 75% as good as the top props in the game. he doesnt have an offload, a fend, a step, ballplaying ability, nothing. he gets it, dawdles forwards, gets tackled, gets a slow play the ball.

top 10 in the league *maybe*, def not top 5. tamou, scott, gallen, fifita, burgess x 2, waerea hargreaves, mcguire, kasiano, graham, tolman, mason, matulino.....all better than hannant.

plus hes almost 30.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
RE: Griffin. Tough call. His first year he had the roster and made the GF play off. 2012/2013 were the "Corey Norman" years. He'll get the roster next year and God hopes he is spending the time at the moment building an awesome game plan.

Next time you talk to him, let the prick know I want my five bucks for that thing that i did for him a few years back...

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
hes been on huge money for years, and although he might give 110% his 110% isnt even say 75% as good as the top props in the game. he doesnt have an offload, a fend, a step, ballplaying ability, nothing. he gets it, dawdles forwards, gets tackled, gets a slow play the ball.

top 10 in the league *maybe*, def not top 5. tamou, scott, gallen, fifita, burgess x 2, waerea hargreaves, mcguire, kasiano, graham, tolman, mason, matulino.....all better than hannant.

plus hes almost 30.

That's a pretty decent point. I think Hannant is quite good, but I can see how *most* of those players are better...and I do believe he's on 450K or so.

He's still twice as good as Kennedy though.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Hannant - road runs all day everyday during pre-season.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Too bad Hodges can never string a full season together, I honestly think he is the best option for captain in the side. I think he proved it this year with how he lead the team around the park, in terms of creating spark when needed or getting up players behind the goal line etc. He has grown into a mature head and I believe he's the real leader around the place.

As big a fan of Parker as I am, he looks more of a leader by 'doing' than a leader by 'inspiration' like Hodges, with most of our side still young I believe we need the latter kind of leader.

A number of us suggested Hodges. As you say, inspiration, but, also doing just as much as Parker in his own way, and he has PRESENCE essential for a leader. Trouble is, apparently, people on here say Hodges wants no part of captaincy.

I think co-captains is a very smart way of managing the organization of the team on field. The team is natursally divided into forwards and backs. For mine, 1 co-captain from the forwards, one from the backs.

If Thaiday has the support and confidence of the team, he has to stay captain, or co-captain. To remove him in these circumstances isn't going to do much for the players' sense of importance as part of a team. It would also make the point IMO, that the team really has little say in the game THEY play for fans like us.

Are our team members people or cattle?

My co-captain from the backs would be Hodges but he won't so who? Hunt for mine. I think he needs some serious responsibility to switch him on and lead, or rather, organize the backs and be the play maker he has to be as his "normal" job as half.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
As for Hannant, I reckon he is underrated and under-used - more than a battering ram and brick wall. He can actually pass the ball, and that ought to be coached into him, and the new game plan.

Fifita is a freak, like Inglis, and the other props AP posts are terrific players. At the same time, I think Hannant has a lot more to contribute to the team as ball player which makes him a worthwhile part of the team

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
As for Hannant, I reckon he is underrated and under-used - more than a battering ram and brick wall. He can actually pass the ball, and that ought to be coached into him, and the new game plan.

Fifita is a freak, like Inglis, and the other props AP posts are terrific players. At the same time, I think Hannant has a lot more to contribute to the team as ball player which makes him a worthwhile part of the team

Yeah, Hannant has shown some nice touches of it. Not quite in the same league as Kasiano or especially Graham, but better than guys like Gallen or McGuire for us.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Also ... About the Roosters strength and fitness coach. Seems to have done something good

"Roosters say strength and power coach has transformed the players."

Fitter, happier Roosters with Smith: SKD - NRL.com

"... He's had a different approach in the gym and he really wanted us to work on our midsection and legs - more Olympic lifting, deadlifts, snatches," .... and

"He's really got the boys eating well ... some of the boys are in the best shape of their lives; not only the diet - our preparation in general,"

Pass the pies boys

Unread

Active Now

• Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Redfern_1980
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.