The Dolphins discussion

That would be extremely surprising if they did that. But what number they wear wouldn't matter, they'll still play their natural game.
My thinking is that Munster and Milford are both left side players. If they are Bennett's preferred starting halves pairing, then one of them would need to move to the right. Milford will more likely be there first.

Bennett's finger prints all over their signings so far, building a nice forward pack.

You dont think the Bromwich brothers are good players?

I think all their forward signings so far have been good acquisitions.

Of course they're good players, I just don't think they're who I would've targetted, nor do I think they're worth the money that the Dolphins would've had to pay to get them from the Storm. The average age of their starting forward pack for Round 1 next season (prior to the Gilbert signing) is 32.

Jesse Bromwich - 33
Mark Nicholls - 33
Kenny Bromwich - 31
Felise Kaufisi - 30

What's the plan, have a solid pack for 1-2 years and then have everyone retire at the same time?

Gilbert is a decent signing

but they really need a hooker ... may I suggest they talk to a bloke by the name of Jake Turpin

in fairness, they have a pretty young guy already signed.

Of course they're good players, I just don't think they're who I would've targetted, nor do I think they're worth the money that the Dolphins would've had to pay to get them from the Storm. The average age of their starting forward pack for Round 1 next season (prior to the Gilbert signing) is 32.

Jesse Bromwich - 33
Mark Nicholls - 33
Kenny Bromwich - 31
Felise Kaufisi - 30

What's the plan, have a solid pack for 1-2 years and then have everyone retire at the same time?
It’s automatic club culture. The standards and experience they bring will set the club up for life. Especially if they stay on post retirement in roles around the club. You might lose them all over the next 2-3 years but in that time you’ll have the Munsters and Walshes etc coming to the club to counteract it.

Jesse Bromwich - 33
Mark Nicholls - 33
Kenny Bromwich - 31
Felise Kaufisi - 30

The plan is for those blokes to set the professional standards for the younger crew coming up. They will be one of the best packs in the comp, giving their halves plenty of time to work. Rugby League is still a game won in the middle first, good signings by Bennett IMO. Which halves wouldn't want to work behind that pack?

Jesse Bromwich - 33
Mark Nicholls - 33
Kenny Bromwich - 31
Felise Kaufisi - 30

They also have Ray Stone who you omitted who is 25. The plan is to build a platform. They have a couple of years to recruit a succession plan or develop others. They arent going to stand still in the recruitment market. I think they have done excellent buisness tbh with the Melbourne players and Nicholls. All experienced, good quality players, and especially in the case of the Storm trio, proven players when it comes to winning. They will be worth every cent with the foundations they lay for others.

You are also presuming here that Nicholls will be a starter as well. I dont think he will be. Plenty of time for them to recruit the players they need. They have a limited market with who is available, so i cant really see what other realistic options are around for them right now.

Out of interest, who would you have targetted who is available?

Is Dunamis Lui official? He is playing for their feeder club and I'm sure he has been spoken of as signed, just not announced.

If they can land Walsh, Munster, Milf and Herbie, they are looking really good.

I should have known the Gilbert discussion was here.

Like I said I think it's a really good signing. Not just because Tom is a good prospect but it doesn't cripple the Cowboys either. They have so many promising forwards coming through that they really don't miss out on much by letting Gilbert go. They can essentially call up Riley Price and they have a very similar player ready to go.

I don't think it would be a good look for the code if they lost a Nanai for example.

However Tom is a young forward who will just be turning 23 when he heads to the Dolphins and is the perfect player to take the torch once those Melbourne players retire.

That signing also helps justify signing the Storm veterans. I agree with UB that alone, those signings don't inspire a ton of confidence but if you can compliment them with quality talent it can work in their favour.

Still, I don't think anyone is blown away by the Dolphins roster just yet. Compare and contrast to the Gold Coast Titans and the Dolphins haven't assembled anyone near that quality. We all understand why but you've also got to call a spade a spade.

For their sake, hopefully Gilbert continues a theme.

I should have known the Gilbert discussion was here.

Like I said I think it's a really good signing. Not just because Tom is a good prospect but it doesn't cripple the Cowboys either. They have so many promising forwards coming through that they really don't miss out on much by letting Gilbert go. They can essentially call up Riley Price and they have a very similar player ready to go.

I don't think it would be a good look for the code if they lost a Nanai for example.

However Tom is a young forward who will just be turning 23 when he heads to the Dolphins and is the perfect player to take the torch once those Melbourne players retire.

That signing also helps justify signing the Storm veterans. I agree with UB that alone, those signings don't inspire a ton of confidence but if you can compliment them with quality talent it can work in their favour.

Still, I don't think anyone is blown away by the Dolphins roster just yet. Compare and contrast to the Gold Coast Titans and the Dolphins haven't assembled anyone near that quality. We all understand why but you've also got to call a spade a spade.

For their sake, hopefully Gilbert continues a theme.

Everyone knows they left it too long to announce them for 2023. I think they are doing a decent job considering whats available.

Active Now

• mystico
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Adammacca
  • Brocko
  • Ras
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Bish
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • Gympie devil
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Tim K
  • The Don
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.