NEWS Reece Walsh to save QLD

The Broncos and Kevvie already do that! Kevvie is very strong on this. Walsh’s manager is young and he’s trying to be the big dawg. Kevvie is not budging.
No point in just Kevvie doing this. It needs to be a level playing field. The NRL needs to sanction it and regulate it just like the salary cap. Whenever there is a grey area, someone is trying to extort it. Take the grey out of it, take the player managers out of it. It gives clubs breathing room, salary cap certainty, and focuses young men on playing their best football, and not on how to extort clubs.

No point in just Kevvie doing this. It needs to be a level playing field. The NRL needs to sanction it and regulate it just like the salary cap. Whenever there is a grey area, someone is trying to extort it. Take the grey out of it, take the player managers out of it. It gives clubs breathing room, salary cap certainty, and focuses young men on playing their best football, and not on how to extort clubs.

The RLPA will take them to task for restricting income. Could also risk union and super league defections being a thing again

Last edited:
The RLPA will take them to task for restricting income. Could also risk union and super league defections being a thing again
If V'Landys can change the rules of the game, ie; 6 again, because he believes it's in the best interest of the game, this should be a no brainer. It is in the long term interest of the player, club, game, and fan. I have never heard of an apprentice electrician taking their employer to court over restraint of trade. If the player, the clubs, and their parents were smart about it, they would accept a 3 year period of development where money didn't decide. Being a marque signing in your 2nd year doesn't bode well. Big money, big expectations. They are teenagers in truth, and most likely not emotionally mature enough, wise to the ways of the world, to know what is in their best long term interests. Even Jack Bird said the money was a milestone. Wonder what Ash Taylor would say if he was honest about it. What about Milford? An apprentice system promotes mental health, expectation management, salary cap stability, etc. The benefits far exceed any drawbacks that i can think of.

If V'Landys can change the rules of the game, ie; 6 again, because he believes it's in the best interest of the game, this should be a no brainer. It is in the long term interest of the player, club, game, and fan. I have never heard of an apprentice electrician taking their employer to court over restraint of trade. If the player, the clubs, and their parents were smart about it, they would accept a 3 year period of development where money didn't decide. Being a marque signing in your 2nd year doesn't bode well. Big money, big expectations. They are teenagers in truth, and most likely not emotionally mature enough, wise to the ways of the world, to know what is in their best long term interests. Even Jack Bird said the money was a milestone. Wonder what Ash Taylor would say if he was honest about it. What about Milford? An apprentice system promotes mental health, expectation management, salary cap stability, etc. The benefits far exceed any drawbacks that i can think of.

The only problem with your analogy is that you can be a sparky for 40 years, you can only be a professional footballer for 10-15, but more likely 1-5. Also your apprenticeship actually gets you a tangible result in a qualification that is necessary for your job.

I'm not disagreeing with you either, just saying what will happen if they try and and drop it in cold on everyone. There'll need to be war room discussions before any fundamental change like that. Also this is kind of in the vein of the super league war, paying players as much as clubs can or want to.

The Broncos and Kevvie already do that! Kevvie is very strong on this. Walsh’s manager is young and he’s trying to be the big dawg. Kevvie is not budging.

hold the phone, "Kevvie's not budging" ... i thought coaches didn't have a say in player contracts ... at least that's what people have been telling me to absolve a certain coach of the Boyd/Macca contracts, etc

sorry, couldn't resist ... carry on

The only problem with your analogy is that you can be a sparky for 40 years, you can only be a professional footballer for 10-15, but more likely 1-5. Also your apprenticeship actually gets you a tangible result in a qualification that is necessary for your job.

I'm not disagreeing with you either, just saying what will happen if they try and and drop it in cold on everyone. There'll need to be war room discussions before any fundamental change like that. Also this is kind of in the vein of the super league war, paying players as much as clubs can or want to.
Not disagreeing either. Football is just a chapter in a person's life. There should be more than one chapter. I believe clubs are big on life skills and education, knowing they are just young men. Not many get a full career. Jharal Yow Yeh is a heart breaking example. We all have setbacks and shit happens...i can't see why the club's specifically, through their networks, line up trade apprenticeships, train driving or career paths, ie; real estate, mortgage broking, etc to deal with what comes after football. Solid, well paid jobs. This too takes the 'shake them down while you can' mentality out of it. A sports carear is just a chapter. We aren't disagreeing, we talking about what's in the best interest and realistic.

Last edited:
Not disagreeing either. Football is just a chapter in a person's life. There should be more than one chapter. I believe clubs are big on life skills and education, knowing they are just young men. Not many get a full career. Jharal Yow Yeh is a heart breaking example. We all have setbacks and shit happens...i can't see why the club's specifically, through their networks, line up trade apprenticeships, train driving or career paths, ie; real estate, mortgage broking, etc to deal with what comes after football. Solid, well paid jobs. This too takes the 'shake them down while you can' mentality out of it. A sports carear is just a chapter. We aren't disagreeing, we talking about what's in the best interest and realistic.
I think most clubs do nowadays... might be an NRL requirement. I think most Broncos players mention they're doing some uni course on the side... not sure about apprenticeships giving the training workload, but I think a few have apprenticeships going on as well

You bringing up Jharal made me think that one thing the club could do right now as a huge boost to morale and a "we look after our own" is to go and give JYY his job back now that Covid things are settling down.

I doubt he's on a huge wage compared to the amount of good news and publicity it would bring

Last edited:
The problem is we get hung up on these kids and that is what has come round and kicked us in the butt. We need to keep the ones that want to stay for fair price, not pay more then they are worth trying to keep them. Don't low ball them but make a good offer and move on. Look outside our own nursery as needed. There are a lot of potential players going around.

Its the only way forward unless the NRL starts rewarding Jr development because right now all it really does is service the league. Interestingly this club mind set of development pathway right into our NRL squad started back in 2006. Go figure.

Some problems with restricting pay based on age- what if you get a Wally or Daley who are captaining their state at 21? You could have the captain capped at 150k and some bone head forward on the bench making 600k because he's 27.

So a player is taking on the responsibility of captain but his pay is not what it should be for the role.

Some problems with restricting pay based on age- what if you get a Wally or Daley who are captaining their state at 21? You could have the captain capped at 150k and some bone head forward on the bench making 600k because he's 27.

So a player is taking on the responsibility of captain but his pay is not what it should be for the role.
Exception to the rule. Black swans do not come regularly. That's why they are called Black Swans. You can not plan for them. But you can plan for what you can foresee. A 19 year old player who has just been named best player and captain, should be wrapped at that just that. What world are we living in that, that is not enough? Can not see a situation, where that does not carry currency. Imagine walking into any bar and telling any girl that you are the best player and captain of an NRL team! That buys you things that money can't. 19 years old, what are your priorities? People raise families and mortgages on $100k or less. Look at graduate salaries...they did 3-4 years at University. Another example of an apprenticeship.

Last edited:

2nd bite. At 27, he has done his dues. This is the heart of the matter. 19 year old with only promise, auctioned off to the highest bidder. Desperate clubs doing desperate things. In any divorce, only the lawyers win. Hello player manager. Let kids be kids. Nurtured under strong guidance. Because we are talking about kids. People complain about McGuire, Parker, or Hodges roughing up the kids. They were preparing them for the brutality of the contest. People don't get that. They were doing what they thought was best to prepare them for what was to come. Look at 2020. A forward pack that read well on paper but not an ounce of aggression or leadership. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

I may very well be wrong and expect many to disagree, and although i agree we only seem to be disadvantaged by developing players and it is really frustrating, but i really dont think we should be terribly distressed if we lose unproven 18 year olds because they are being offered massive overs based on media hype and how they perform against boys.

Yes, definitely put in our best effort to keep the ones we want (and i do like walsh) but even if we do lose some, in another 2-3 years they are 21, will have more experience against men and we will have a better idea of their performance based value. We can always try to get them back then i.e. we were pissed we lost sam walker, but he is now available for 2022.

I know we attempted this with taylor and it didnt work because the titans paid massive overs for him (which backfired on them).

Surely there could be some exemptions made if a young player is making regular NRL appearances. Wouldnt be hard to implement for the ones who are the exception to the rule.

Active Now

• jd87
  • kiwibronco
  • Rambstien
  • broncos4life
  • Bish
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • barker
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.