Referees

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
The contrast in the two performances by referees on Friday night was worlds apart.

I thought Archer let the Storm game run its course (although the melbourne storm control of the ruck is appalling) and the referrees were barely noticed all game. I thought it was a very good display. One of the better ones all year.

Fastforward 10 minutes to the Rabbitohs Cowboys game and the referees were attrocious. (Isaac Luke's penalty aside, that was not the ref's fault) they blew the pea out of the whistle. Played to the crowd the whole night. Every 5 minutes the Rabbitohs were getting a piggy back down field, however whenever the Cowboys were held down it wasn't recognised. It was clearly obvious the ref's were letting the crowd control the grame. It was disgraceful, I completely agree with Neil Henry's assessment.

There should not be such a difference in referee's performance.

I can't work out how it was "benefit of the doubt" for a try from an obstruction.

The video ref was appalling too. I just can't understand how you can have guys that are at the same training sessions coming up with such different interpretations of how to officiate a game of rugby league.

2 clangers of video ref decisions on the weekend. The "benefit" obstruction and the try to the Sharks when Gallen was stripped (legally) and then knocked on trying to regather. WTF?! How can Video referees get it so wrong?

I find it so frustrating watching footy at the moment.

A few WTF moments in the Manly v Bulldogs game as well, including the sin bin.

Can of worms 764812

Do we really need to go there ..... :rolleyes:

um isn't that what a forum is for.

2 clangers of video ref decisions on the weekend. The "benefit" obstruction and the try to the Sharks when Gallen was stripped (legally) and then knocked on trying to regather. WTF?! How can Video referees get it so wrong?

I find it so frustrating watching footy at the moment.
Absolutely this ^^^^

I can live with wrong decisions taken in a fraction of a second on the field, but a video ref with all the time in the world making such basic mistakes? FMD! :shake:

I also totally agree with Neil Henry, and even not looking at the disgraceful Luke event, there were 3 major decisions that effectively kept 50uff$ in the game. This doesn't excuse the way they allowed them to come back from 12 points behind in 8 minutes (reminds me of a Broncos - Panthers game of a few years ago, where Peter Wallace tore us a new one and finished it off with a field goal), but the first try was clearly offside (why didn't it go to the video ref?), the 3rd try was clearly an obstruction to both Thurston and Cooper (although the latter should've played the whistle), and that strip decision on Roy Thompson was dodgy too, although the least shocking.

Yeah the strip on Thompson just highlighted a grey area in this new interpretation about stripping to prevent a try. As Gus said yesterday, Matt Bowen 10m out is trying to score a try, so why can't you strip the ball? Shaun Johnson from 20m out from his own line could well be about to score a try so why not let them strip the ball?

It's one of those things where they either tighten up the wording to say that the player with possession has to be in the in goal for it to be a "legal strip", or they leave it open to interpretation and we go on with dodgy decisions like this.

Why are you allowed to strip the ball if you're in the process of scoring a try anyway? It's stupid.

The penalty to Isaac Luke had me done for the night. How is that even a penalty? It was a love tap at best, he clipped his jaw/chin with an open hand and if you look at it in normal play, there is absolutely no force in it either. I can't believe they awarded a penalty for that. FACT IS - If they gave penalties to EVERY contact similar to the Segeyaro/Luke incident then there would be another 20 penalties during the game. The only reason they gave it a penalty is because Isaac Luke took a dive.

IMO you should NOT be able to go to the video ref to check contact made with a player. If the 4 ****ing refs didn't see the high shot in the first place, then too ****in bad - You snooze, you lose. I'm sick of divers.

^^^ This. IMO if a player is down injured and the video reveals there was some high contact, then he should put it on report (or tell the referee to put it on report), but NO penalty. If the 4 blind mice didn't see it worthy of a penalty when it happened, then no amount of review should change that. However, fair enough if the video referee thinks it deserves review by the committee after the game.

^^^ This. IMO if a player is down injured and the video reveals there was some high contact, then he should put it on report (or tell the referee to put it on report), but NO penalty. If the 4 blind mice didn't see it worthy of a penalty when it happened, then no amount of review should change that. However, fair enough if the video referee thinks it deserves review by the committee after the game.
There's no need for that either, as it's the match comittee review's job to do that really.

I can live with the video ref reviewing a situation on the field, because sometimes the refs do miss something worthwhile, but the NRL needs to quickly revise its policy regarding dives and acting in the game. This is was the most disgraceful one I've seen in a long while!

the NRL needs to quickly revise its policy regarding dives and acting in the game. This is was the most disgraceful one I've seen in a long while!

It was, but I don't think you can really blame Luke. It's the NRLs fault they have rules that encourage players to do this sort of thing.

Luke only did what was best for his team, and did nothing outside the current rules of the game to do so. I don't agree it's the best sportsmanship, but at the end of the day, if my teams season was on the line, I'd probably do the same thing too.

I just hope they clear it up soon, otherwise a big game is goign to be decided on a case like this. How **** would it be to end a GF like that?

It was, but I don't think you can really blame Luke. It's the NRLs fault they have rules that encourage players to do this sort of thing.

Luke only did what was best for his team, and did nothing outside the current rules of the game to do so. I don't agree it's the best sportsmanship, but at the end of the day, if my teams season was on the line, I'd probably do the same thing too.

I just hope they clear it up soon, otherwise a big game is goign to be decided on a case like this. How **** would it be to end a GF like that?

And that's why I don't want penalties to be decided by video referee, other than try scoring situations (obstruction, offside etc).

I think allowing the video referee to advise incidents be reported is the best compromise. If a player is genuinely injured and it was missed by all 4 on field officials, then at least his team can then interchange him without penalty. However, not giving his team another set of 6 or 2 points is fair.

Alternative is as Browny I think suggested in another thread, any penalty decided by video referee should be differential, thus no kick at goal would be possible, although they would get another set of 6.

Alternative is as Browny I think suggested in another thread, any penalty decided by video referee should be differential, thus no kick at goal would be possible, although they would get another set of 6.

I also liked Andrew Voss' suggestion yesterday on the Sunday Roast that only a try should win in golden point, not a field goal or penatly goal. If a field goal or penatly goal is scored, it should count towards the teams total, but they still play on 5 mins each way. If no try is scored, then the winner is the one withthe most points, or a draw if they are still all tied up.

Would certainly help stop events like this happenning, even if the on field officials rule on it.

I also liked Andrew Voss' suggestion yesterday on the Sunday Roast that only a try should win in golden point, not a field goal or penatly goal. If a field goal or penatly goal is scored, it should count towards the teams total, but they still play on 5 mins each way. If no try is scored, then the winner is the one withthe most points, or a draw if they are still all tied up.

Would certainly help stop events like this happenning, even if the on field officials rule on it.

Yeah, have heard this suggestion before. Problem is, however unlikely, a team kicking 2 penalties AND a field goal in extra time...then other team scores a try. You'd "win" with a lesser score.

I think if you were going to make it that way then a try would then negate the other points scored in extra time.

eg, Souths kicked the penalty to lead 26-24.
Cowboys then score a try. They win. Penalty goal removed from score. Final score is Cowboys 28-24.

Active Now

• BroncosFan_Corey
  • Mr Fourex
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • bert_lifts
  • Footy Fanatic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.