Rejuvenated veteran Benji Marshall could quit Brisbane over contract dispute

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=3a22ed663b0b573b7766082abe56b9b0-1500715452

BENJI Marshall has revealed he is considering quitting the Broncos after being told he will have to play for $100,000 again to continue his NRL career at Brisbane.

Marshall has burst back to life under Wayne Bennett this season following three turbulent years at the Dragons.

The former Kiwi Test captain’s experience proved crucial for the Broncos throughout the State of Origin period and he has helped Brisbane maintain a spot in the top four.

The Broncos have discussed a one-year extension with Marshall, however there will be little increase in the near minimum-wage salary he has played on this season.

Marshall, 32, told The Sunday Mail his move to the Broncos had reinvigorated his career but admitted it may not be possible to keep playing with the money on offer.

“I think I want to keep playing. My body feels good enough to keep playing,” he said.

“I signed here for $100,000 which is probably $400,000 less than what it has been in the past.

“I’m not sure (if I’m prepared to do that again) to be honest. It’s been pretty tough. I’m not sure about that.

“Everyone has got bills. I will have to have a chat to my wife (Zoe) and decide financially where we want to be and what we want to achieve.

“I’ve got a family to feed at the end of the day. I know $100,000 is a lot of money but I’ve got a mortgage to pay as well.

“There are a lot of things to weigh up.”

Marshall has played eight games for the Broncos this season, providing cover in the halves while Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford were injured and also playing a utility role from the bench.

He spent the early part of the season playing for Redcliffe in the Intrust Super Cup which impacted on his ability to fulfil third-party commitments given he was out of the NRL.

Marshall is a supreme media talent and is understood to have options lined up for his post-football career if he decides to hang up the boots at the end of the year.

The Broncos have been on an $4.5 million retention drive this season, re-signing representative stars Milford, Corey Oates, Josh McGuire, Andrew McCullough, Alex Glenn and Kodi Nikorima.

Cronulla’s Jack Bird will arrive on a lucrative contract next season, and the club is on the verge of retaining Darius Boyd, Jordan Kahu and James Roberts, meaning Brisbane’s salary cap for 2018 will be at capacity.

The Broncos are prepared to wait for Marshall to make a decision, with the 263-game NRL veteran saying he would spend the next few weeks mulling over his future.

“I’ll have to have a few discussions in the near future,” he said.

“At the moment I’m enjoying the ride while I’m in the team and playing some good footy.

“I came to Brisbane for an opportunity and to prove a few things to myself and a few other people that I still have what it takes. I feel like I’ve exceeded some of those goals I made.

“Off the field it’s the happiest I’ve been for a long time. That takes priority sometimes.”

Marshall played 15 minutes off the bench in Brisbane’s 42-12 win over Canterbury last Thursday but is now fighting to keep his spot in the 17.

Captain Darius Boyd will return from a broken thumb against the Eels in Sydney on Friday night, leaving Marshall, Nikorima and Hunt vying for two spots in the team.

Nikorima was solid in his debut at fullback, and Marshall could be the one to make way for Boyd’s return.

“I said to Wayne before the (Bulldogs) game ‘don’t feel sorry for me on the bench. If there is a time to put me on then put me on, if not, don’t put me on’,” Marshall said.

“I’m a team person. I want what’s best for the team. If that means me playing the utility role off the bench or being 18th man, I’m not fazed. That’s up to the coach.

“There is definitely no qualms about that. Whatever Wayne wants to do and is best for the team I’ll be sweet with.

“That’s the beauty when you’ve got a bit of depth at the club — you can make those decisions. We’re in a pretty blessed position to have that.

“Whatever happens, happens. It’s not the end of the world if I’m not in the team. I will be there for the boys no matter what.”

Good attitude in the last few paragraphs but hell I don't want see him leave

He'll re-sign unless a desperate club makes a stupid overs offer. Given his age though, that's unlikely.

As a totally unqualified fan I feel I should weigh in with a contract value for Benji so I'll say...$200,000. Any more, he can walk.

I reckon Knights might make a play at him

As a totally unqualified fan I feel I should weigh in with a contract value for Benji so I'll say...$200,000. Any more, he can walk.
Hasn't he and his missus got a radio gig somewhere? Tell them to up their pay deal ....

Surely we could fashion a better deal to keep him ?
Depends on the cap, We have re-signed heaps of players this year, App. 4.5 Million we've spent and Jimmy wants a pretty decent deal so he might just have to settle for 100,000

As much as I've appreciated Benji's contributions this year, if it comes down to upping his offer by $100k or upping Roberts offer by $100k to keep him, it'll be sayonara Bunj.

As good as he is, if he wants an upgrade let him walk. We have youngsters screaming for a shot and while Benji is great to have, losing him isn't the end of the world by any means.

100k is more than enough to pay the bills, mortgage and still live reasonably comfortably.

That's not even factoring in the money the mrs brings in.

Some people just don't know how to budget.

100k is more than enough to pay the bills, mortgage and still live reasonably comfortably.

Some people just don't know how to budget.
If you don't live the high life you should be fine.

The Broncos have shown their hand by offering Nikorima a three-year extension only one year into his two-year deal. If you read into what some of the more informed members are saying, there's genuine confidence in a Milford/Nikorima combination in the interim with Milford/Taylor a touch and go affair.

Marshall has been a strong shadow player, showcasing all the skills that had many calling him the best player in the game back in 2010. While he doesn't have a lot of time left at this level, realistically I could see him having one last good season if given the opportunity. It's just a matter of whether another club is interested in his services, most clubs are well stocked and don't require another half.

Newcastle and Marshall makes too much sense for it to work.

I think Benji has earned a pay rice and I hope we don't lose him.

I'd say he has done enough to earn a slight upgrade, but if they pay him more than an additional $50k - $100k then he can look elsewhere.

It's the perrenial issue, pay him extra and keep him and another youngster sees his path blocked.

OTOH, I think we will be pretty thin on halves stocks without him next year. Milford played Origin this year and may well do so again next year, Bird is an Origin player and Nikorima played an international for NZ this year. Then of course there are potential injuries / suspensions...

No matter how good Milford / Nikorima may be, we need more halves coverage. Seems fine now that we have 4 halves vying for 2 sometimes 3 spots (when Wayne wants a utility half on the bench) but that obviously won't be the case next year with Hunt leaving and Marshall potentially going too...

I loved seeing him come here and prove the media chumps/ex-players wrong and I'd love to see him stay on, but if he wants more than 100k then he should look elsewhere.

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Sproj
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Manlyman
  • NSW stables
  • Fitzy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • TimWhatley
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • Jedhead
  • Lostboy
  • Painin the Haas
  • Locky24
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.