Rejuvenated veteran Benji Marshall could quit Brisbane over contract dispute

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
100k is more than enough to pay the bills, mortgage and still live reasonably comfortably.

That's not even factoring in the money the mrs brings in.

Some people just don't know how to budget.

Something I've never gotten about footy players + sports stars in general. Once you have a house and bills covered, which you can do inside the first proper contract or two, anything after that you use to set yourself for life. It's not hard. But I guess the money can be a bit of an addiction and it's hard to adjust once it's not there anymore

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Happiest he's been off the field while living in bris. That's a big factor. Maybe offer him 150k-200k and he'll stay I reckon. The sentence saying he'll mull over it the next few weeks is a worry, hopefully that means he'll play out of his skin for a pay rise.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Something I've never gotten about footy players + sports stars in general. Once you have a house and bills covered, which you can do inside the first proper contract or two, anything after that you use to set yourself for life. It's not hard. But I guess the money can be a bit of an addiction and it's hard to adjust once it's not there anymore
The problem is when you buy house fitting of a $500k salary and only earn that amount for a few years, while the mortgage lasts 30 years.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Yep exactly. Instead of buying the $2 mill waterside apartment, settle for the $1 mill 4 bedder just back from the water a few streets.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
He spent a week in the Maldives or bora bora or somewhere when we had the bye, don't think he's hurting too bad.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
The problem is when you buy house fitting of a $500k salary and only earn that amount for a few years, while the mortgage lasts 30 years.

You can't tell me that even a million dollar house can't be paid off inside 5 years on a 500k contract (and we all know Benji's been on more along with TPA + rep match payments)

Not mention money from selling his house down south. Or better yet keeping that and renting it out as another source of income

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I would imagine Benji would be a very likely candidate for TPA's at the Broncs too, with his media presence...Just because we signed him for $100k doesn't mean that is all he is earning...

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Guys, there footy players. You can't expect them to be able to manage property and investments when they don't know the rules of the game they play

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
While we're on the subject of finance, how much tax do football players pay?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Love Benji. I was skeptical of how well he'd go at the bronx (though i always agreed signing Benji on 100k for depth is an incredible windfall) but he has really torn up for us this year and with how disrupted our half options have been this season his signing has been a season saver. At this point I actually fear that we may have even under-utilised him.

For a guy who had a lot of rumours follow him around about being unsociable and a diva, he has shown very impressive character and a great attitude while at our club.

All that being said, a player of Benji's skill and experience should never had ended up on 100k a year. We were very fortunate to get him at that price (though his own form is obviously largely to blame). We have great young halves in Kodi and Milf, and too much great young talent we need to pay first (e.g Roberts).

Does Benji deserve more than 100k a season? Yes.
Are we a club that can afford to or needs to spend more than 100k on Benji? Possibly by an extra 50k or so. Though that is probably still short of what he rightfully deserves.

I'd love for Benj to stay but I don't think either party would be looked down upon if he left.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
@theshed, you nailed it. Should he get more than 100k? Probably. Should we offer more than 100k? No.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Ray rice pay da man

Active Now

• The Strapper
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Maroon4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Spooky1013
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.