Rejuvenated veteran Benji Marshall could quit Brisbane over contract dispute

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
It's not substituting, it's a pay rice pay rise on top of his current pay.
But will it be included in the cap?

Images

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
I think Benji has earned a pay rice and I hope we don't lose him.
If it's deep fried rice, then I could see it happening but surely you don't expect him to stick around for some Coles brand white rice type shit?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Guys, there footy players. You can't expect them to be able to manage property and investments when they don't know the rules of the game they play

That is true.

Take James Tamou for example, he can barely piece together a sentence. If anyone has the chance to watch his interview on NRL 360 last year, watch it. It's cringeworthy listening to him speak.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The problem is when you buy house fitting of a $500k salary and only earn that amount for a few years, while the mortgage lasts 30 years.

Yeah, but he didn't earn that money to begin with when he came to Brisbane.

He was always earning 100k and had to get a house up here. It seems he went for the one that's a bit too expensive that he won't be able to keep up with the payments after footy.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
If it's deep fried rice, then I could see it happening but surely you don't expect him to stick around for some Coles brand white rice type shit?
**** it, give him brown rice

Broncos Maestro

Broncos Maestro

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
The same as the rest of us.
Actually sportspeople are taxed slightly differently from us mugs as their income can dip and peak irregularly.

I say this when I was working at a private chartered tax firm and we had a novelist as a client (they're taxed similar to sports players).

TLDR Yes they are taxed as the same as everyone else but have special income averaging rules.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
I think the only way Marshall earns significantly more than 100k next year is if he retires. He's been great and I hope he's retained, but were able to get him for 100k for a reason. His good form is partially offset by the fact that he's a year closer to retirement now.
Yeah, but he didn't earn that money to begin with when he came to Brisbane.

He was always earning 100k and had to get a house up here. It seems he went for the one that's a bit too expensive that he won't be able to keep up with the payments after footy.
I think we're reading too much into the mortgage line. I don't think he's in fiscal distress, struggling to pay his mortgage. The full quote was "I know $100,000 is a lot of money but I’ve got a mortgage to pay as well." To me that just seems like he's simply trying to avoid the perception of complaining about being on 100k when most rugby league fans are on much less than that and tend to tear to shreds any player that explicitly states their value.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
100k is more than enough to pay the bills, mortgage and still live reasonably comfortably.

That's not even factoring in the money the mrs brings in.

Some people just don't know how to budget.
100k ? Yuk lol

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
He should get more than that for next season....it's not what he earns but what is the value he brings. If the Broncos can't find another 50 k for 2018 then they're not the money managers I thought. It's peanuts.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Pay him more and keep him for another year. The lessons he's already taught, and is going to teach to Kodi and Milf are invaluable. One more year, then he can hang them up.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
One more year with us then go for a big pay day in super league and then retire. Set up for life with dollars and rice.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Given Benji isn't a priority I think both parties could wait for the final salary cap. We may be signing players believing a certain cap figure if that figure is higher than expected there would be room to give Benji an upgrade otherwise he can move to Newcastle or retire into the media.

Could even come on as a consultant to the broncos and be a halves coach/mentor???? No cap for support staff ;-)

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Off him enough rice [emoji500] and he has no reason to leave.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I'm not so sure he would go so well anywhere else right now tbh. We have taken all the pressure off him and he can go and play his own game mostly. Going somewhere like Newcastle, i'm not so sure he would be comfortable with being under pressure again. He is enjoying his football again with us.

I personally think he is worth about 150k to us. He has a positive influence and is good backup. If he wants more, move to Super league or another NRL club willing to pay.

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brocko
  • Skyblues87
  • Galah
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • bb_gun
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Allo
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • rj9
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.