Rejuvenated veteran Benji Marshall could quit Brisbane over contract dispute

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
You're out of touch....or simply have NFI.

I know how to budget and manage finances, I also know math.

The people that don't know how to live off that kind of money, are people that simply have NFI how to budget and get in over their heads. It's a very common thing.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
It comes down to what you value. I drive an 11 year old Commodore. I can afford a luxury BMW but the old dunny door runs well, ac is cold, stereo is fine, power steering doesn't leak so the only real reason to massively upgrade would be...mmmm, ego I suppose. My house is humble too. I've been earning substantial cash for a fairly long time now but I still live like I'm on a much smaller wage. Just because a footballer gets big dollars should not mean he needs a huge mortgage or a mega car.

Most of the time my bank account has nothing more than a couple hundred in it, the earnings go to paying down an investment....and THAT investment wasn't taken on until I owned my home. This ensures if the worst should happen I can sell the investment and still have no financial concerns. Where people get in trouble is being over extended if something troubling happens. A three year contract for a footballer, like Moga's for example should be ample to gain real security...just as long as the home is modest.

Thinking you are entitled to the best of the best in everything completely misses the point.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
100k is a fucking good wage, if you don't think it is, you're out of touch with how the vast majority live. Most people would be happy to be on 60k a year.
100 k IS a good wage with the overwhelming majority of aussies earning well under that.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
He' s coming to the end of his career. There was always going to be a point where his income goes from heaps to not much. Or nothing. So if he hasn't planned ahead for this situation then that's on him.

N

_noosh

NYC Player
Oct 3, 2016
Why did this become a "can you live on 100k" discussion?

Benji's human. He'll weigh up pros and cons, a big one of which is money. If he's able to earn a lot more money elsewhere, then are the people here honestly saying they wouldn't consider it if they were in his shoes?

Whether you can live comfortably on the money he's offered is completely irrelevant to his decision. He's not you. If money mattered so little, then why offer anyone more than 100k? Milford, Roberts, Boyd? The argument that he shouldn't ask for more than 100k because some of you can live comfortably on 100k is silly.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Why did this become a "can you live on 100k" discussion?

Benji's human. He'll weigh up pros and cons, a big one of which is money. If he's able to earn a lot more money elsewhere, then are the people here honestly saying they wouldn't consider it if they were in his shoes?

Whether you can live comfortably on the money he's offered is completely irrelevant to his decision. He's not you. If money mattered so little, then why offer anyone more than 100k? Milford, Roberts, Boyd? The argument that he shouldn't ask for more than 100k because some of you can live comfortably on 100k is silly.
Because Benji brought up the he has a mortgage to pay line, so therefore the 100k to live does become relevant.

My view is he deserves a pay rise of 50 to 100k, but not if it costs us someone else. He's handy to have, not crucial. He doesn't have more than a year or two left in him for first grade.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
100k is a fucking good wage, if you don't think it is, you're out of touch with how the vast majority live. Most people would be happy to be on 60k a year.

100%. I work a govt job (albeit first year and low-rung) and I'm maybe pulling in 45 after tax.

N

_noosh

NYC Player
Oct 3, 2016
Because Benji brought up the he has a mortgage to pay line, so therefore the 100k to live does become relevant.

My view is he deserves a pay rise of 50 to 100k, but not if it costs us someone else. He's handy to have, not crucial. He doesn't have more than a year or two left in him for first grade.

I'm sure it was just an offhanded comment in an interview that we're overanalysing. I agree with your opinion. 150k, 200k max should be our offer. I just find the talk that 100k is enough, therefore he shouldn't ask or look for more a little silly and judgemental.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
100%. I work a govt job (albeit first year and low-rung) and I'm maybe pulling in 45 after tax.
Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation I paid 60k IN tax !

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I'm sure it was just an offhanded comment in an interview that we're overanalysing. I agree with your opinion. 150k, 200k max should be our offer. I just find the talk that 100k is enough, therefore he shouldn't ask or look for more a little silly and judgemental.

No one is saying he shouldn't look or ask for more money.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015

Hmm. People don't really make offhanded comments about how much they earn. Especially public figures to journos. I would say he had some kind of motivation for mentioning it.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Why does Bennett keep saying KNik will be halfback then?
He said it once and that was before he had to drag him in two consecutive games. He isn't paying Bird 750K to play in the centres and then only offer the Jet 400K for an extension. That doesn't make any sense. Kodi is a decent player but he will never be the regular #7 in this great club IMO. Bird will be able to audition his skills in the halves to us with Maloney ruled out for a month.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He said it once and that was before he had to drag him in two consecutive games. He isn't paying Bird 750K to play in the centres and then only offer the Jet 400K for an extension. That doesn't make any sense. Kodi is a decent player but he will never be the regular #7 in this great club IMO. Bird will be able to audition his skills in the halves to us with Maloney ruled out for a month.

Bennett also said it when Kodi re-signed last week.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Xzei
  • MasterWright
  • Porthoz
  • Aldo
  • Johnny92
  • phoenix
  • Astro
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.