Rejuvenated veteran Benji Marshall could quit Brisbane over contract dispute

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
He said it once and that was before he had to drag him in two consecutive games. He isn't paying Bird 750K to play in the centres and then only offer the Jet 400K for an extension. That doesn't make any sense. Kodi is a decent player but he will never be the regular #7 in this great club IMO. Bird will be able to audition his skills in the halves to us with Maloney ruled out for a month.

Bird is a talented player who I'm happy to have come to us but he's a pretty useless half.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Bennett also said it when Kodi re-signed last week.
Bennett has changed his mind plenty of times in the past. He will go with whoever is best suited for it at any given time. But as far as next year goes, Bird and Milf will be the main halves pairing and could do so for many years to come. Bird is a special player and he will add plenty to this squad.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Bennett has changed his mind plenty of times in the past. He will go with whoever is best suited for it at any given time. But as far as next year goes, Bird and Milf will be the main halves pairing and could do so for many years to come. Bird is a special player and he will add plenty to this squad.

He may well be but I think you are suggesting you know more than you actually do.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
He may well be but I think you are suggesting you know more than you actually do.
I just do the math. It's not hard to see even for the President of the Kodi fan club.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Bennett changes his mind when someone better comes along.

No one better is coming along.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
100%. I work a govt job (albeit first year and low-rung) and I'm maybe pulling in 45 after tax.

You got a mortgage.....kids in school...etc etc?

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
You got a mortgage.....kids in school...etc etc?

Kids are a choice. And I rent, which save for interest and the option to leave can be in the same ballpark as a monthly expense. Besides, I'm not the guy who's had a successful footy career for over a decade which included an apparent $1.1 million deal at the Dragons over 2 and a half seasons

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Niko is a decent backup aka Mr. Fix It if injury should afflict what will be the regular halves next year. (Milf and Bird)

Don't think Bird will be playing in the halves.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Bennett wants winners, bird is a winner. It honestly doesn't matter where he plays, he's a pr*^% and that's exactly what we need. And nikorima is a halfback that has all the attributes we need except a long dostance kicking game (something that can be split between Milford, benji when he's on and McCullough), he knows how to bring Roberts and Gillett into the game with a simple passing game & has a great running game himself. I think the team next year should be...
1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Opacic
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Sims
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Bird

14. Marshall
15. TPJ
16. Blair
17. Thaiday

Sims on with McGuire simply for initial aggression mixed with size, Blair will come on to do 1 percenters and steady the ship, tpj is better than sims and it's only a matter of time but round 1 2018 might be too soon, Thaiday prob should retire but at least it's experience and game changing ability on the bench, Marshall can change/settle a game with his experience. I also wouldn't mind opacic and Oates swapping as it brings Oates in more and increases his impact as he won't take that first run which will take away that battering ram effect.. McGuire still needs to not take the 1st hit up & do what he has in lock, bird is hard to tackle and will need to bulk a little bit.. game winners all over the park with different options... the only concern is whether their is enough metres in the forward pack without ese, lodge or offa although offa would be 18th, with Sua,haas and fai close by, Pearson, isaako and mead the back reserves. Great depth still, amazing actually, hence why we didn't need to pay overs for the players that simply "play their role" when there are others who can anyway

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Kids are a choice. And I rent, which save for interest and the option to leave can be in the same ballpark as a monthly expense. Besides, I'm not the guy who's had a successful footy career for over a decade which included an apparent $1.1 million deal at the Dragons over 2 and a half seasons

I'm not referring to Marshall....I'm challenging the assumption that 100K is "more than enough" for anybody to live on.

If you're a family of 5 with the 3 kids in school / uni.....they play sport, schooling, camps etc etc, plus you're paying off a mortgage, 2 cars.....you like home entertainment....you like x-mas vacations.....bills bills bills

100K doesn't go as far as it used to. You can tread water .....but as for getting ahead of the game, it's tough.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I'm not referring to Marshall....I'm challenging the assumption that 100K is "more than enough" for anybody to live on.

If you're a family of 5 with the 3 kids in school / uni.....they play sport, schooling, camps etc etc, plus you're paying off a mortgage, 2 cars.....you like home entertainment....you like x-mas vacations.....bills bills bills

100K doesn't go as far as it used to. You can tread water .....but getting ahead of the game, is tough.

Like I said, kids are a choice. For instance I don't want any for the foreseeable future because I'm time-selfish. I don't like having obligations. Putting aside any natural instinct or desire to reproduce, kids are the biggest financial decision of your life. Don't come crying that you can't afford to live when you know how much kids can cost.

I can also say that my family was exactly your example growing up (bar major tertiary costs) We all played sport and were rarely denied anything growing up. Dad worked the same job he has now (edging to maybe 55k take home now. No doubt a lot less 30 years ago when my sister was first born) and mum stayed at home with us kids until I was in upper primary school - roughly 17 years as I was youngest. There was a time when we 18 cents to our name and still under mortgage. It's doable. Hard, but doable.

Obviously I understand the cost of living has gotten to ridiculous levels since the 80/90s and has outpaced wage increases for most people, but my point still stands.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Bennett wants winners, bird is a winner. It honestly doesn't matter where he plays, he's a pr*^% and that's exactly what we need. And nikorima is a halfback that has all the attributes we need except a long dostance kicking game (something that can be split between Milford, benji when he's on and McCullough), he knows how to bring Roberts and Gillett into the game with a simple passing game & has a great running game himself. I think the team next year should be...
1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Opacic
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Sims
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Bird

14. Marshall
15. TPJ
16. Blair
17. Thaiday

I agree with everything you said except personally, I can see TPJ being an absolute weapon at lock. Does all the grunt work expected of a big man and has a mean offload. I would like to see Bird take Moga's spot because imagine a team with a left side of Glenn, Milf, Bird, Oats and a right side of Niko, Gillo, Jimmy, and Kahu. With Boyd popping up for sweeping plays on either side. That gives us unbelievable attacking threats across the entire park. Moving TPJ to lock also free up a bench spot for Offa, who is starting to show signs of potential again after his slight regression.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milf
7. Niko
8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Sims
11. Glenn
12. Gillo
13. TPJ

14. Benji
15. Thaiday
16. Blair
17. Offa

I think that line up perfectly spreads out talent across the entire field without leaving any weak spots.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Like I said, kids are a choice. For instance I don't want any for the foreseeable future because I'm time-selfish. I don't like having obligations. Putting aside any natural instinct or desire to reproduce, kids are the biggest financial decision of your life. Don't come crying that you can't afford to live when you know how much kids can cost.

I can also say that my family was exactly your example growing up (bar major tertiary costs) We all played sport and were rarely denied anything growing up. Dad worked the same job he has now (edging to maybe 55k take home now. No doubt a lot less 30 years ago when my sister was first born) and mum stayed at home with us kids until I was in upper primary school - roughly 17 years as I was youngest. There was a time when we 18 cents to our name and still under mortgage. It's doable. Hard, but doable.

Obviously I understand the cost of living has gotten to ridiculous levels since the 80/90s and has outpaced wage increases for most people, but my point still stands.

Not quite sure what you're point is......you've just admitted that it's "do-able, hard, but do-able", of which I agree. Your father's, much like my own fathers 45-55K, 30 years ago, would be the equivalent now (IMO) to about 80K.
My point is that 100K/yr isn't as much as you think for a family to flourish on......and those that think it is, aren't trying to raise a teenage family.

Different story if you're content to live alone, in a 2 br apartment.....plonking away at your keyboard. Others aspire to bigger things.....

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Not unreasonable for Benji to want a bit of a pay raise.

Sure, 100k isn't living on the breadline, but when you've got dependents and you're approaching the end of your career, it's silly to suggest you should be happy with close to minimum wage (for his profession).

Remuneration should be a reflection of value to an organisation. Given his on and off field work thus far, I would not be opposed to us upping his deal, though I wouldn't break the bank.

If he wants significantly more than 200k, it's probably best he looks at his options external to the Broncos.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I agree with everything you said except personally, I can see TPJ being an absolute weapon at lock. Does all the grunt work expected of a big man and has a mean offload. I would like to see Bird take Moga's spot because imagine a team with a left side of Glenn, Milf, Bird, Oats and a right side of Niko, Gillo, Jimmy, and Kahu. With Boyd popping up for sweeping plays on either side. That gives us unbelievable attacking threats across the entire park. Moving TPJ to lock also free up a bench spot for Offa, who is starting to show signs of potential again after his slight regression.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milf
7. Niko
8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Sims
11. Glenn
12. Gillo
13. TPJ

14. Benji
15. Thaiday
16. Blair
17. Offa

I think that line up perfectly spreads out talent across the entire field without leaving any weak spots.
I can't argue with that either and would be happy with it. TPJ is going to be a machine and if we can keep tpj and haas together the pack will be very very scary in years to come. Opacic isn't a weak link though at all. He reminds me of Darren smith a lot. Great defence, scores tries and brings in his winger well, very tough... coincidentally we have a Renouf-like player on the other side.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • kman
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Ejbroncos
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.