Rejuvenated veteran Benji Marshall could quit Brisbane over contract dispute

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/rejuvenated-veteran-
BENJI Marshall has revealed he is considering quitting the Broncos after being told he will have to play for $100,000 again to continue his NRL career at Brisbane.

I signed here for $100,000 which is probably $400,000 less than what it has been in the past.
“”

100k is more than enough to pay the bills, mortgage and still live reasonably comfortably.

That's not even factoring in the money the mrs brings in.

Some people just don't know how to budget.

If you don't live the high life you should be fine.

Something I've never gotten about footy players + sports stars in general. Once you have a house and bills covered, which you can do inside the first proper contract or two, anything after that you use to set yourself for life. It's not hard. But I guess the money can be a bit of an addiction and it's hard to adjust once it's not there anymore

80% pay cut . Ouch ! . If you have been earning big dollars for 10 years or more then take a 80% cut in pay . You might explore the options too .

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
I reckon 100k is a pretty rude 2nd year offer from the Broncs. Benji has been more than handy to have around.

Hunts gone next year, so who do we have to back up our halves?

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
Who the **** cares about Benji, not wasting cap space on a "has been" is smart, if he wants cash feel free to leave. We don't lose much if anything.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
I reckon 100k is a pretty rude 2nd year offer from the Broncs. Benji has been more than handy to have around.

It's not rude at all, we gave him an income when no one else would. Bennett put his career back on track. He is 32 years old provides really nothing but back up. Take 100k or leave. No one cares.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
If he didn't get Wayne's call, he was potentially retiring, right? So unless he has a guaranteed media gig to walk in to, it's $100k vs $0. Even a coaching assistant or affiliate role would be no more than $100k.

I love how the media phrase it as a "contract dispute", like one party has screwed the other over or some other reason for there to be bad blood between the parties.

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
It's not rude at all, we gave him an income when no one else would. Bennett put his career back on track. He is 32 years old provides really nothing but back up. Take 100k or leave. No one cares.
I get the first bit, but back up is back up.

Hasn't he been of enough value to our club and younger players to hang on to and offer a few more bob than the previous deal? I would have thought so. But then again, I think he should have the number 7 on his back instead of Hunt and that aint happening either.

Wayne's call.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Are you serious.....?

100K is like yesterdays 80K......it aint "more than enough"

Sure, if you don't know how to manage finances and live within your means.

The mrs is also working, and even if she is earning the average wage, that's still more than enough to live off.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
80% pay cut . Ouch ! . If you have been earning big dollars for 10 years or more then take a 80% cut in pay . You might explore the options too .

I don't blame him for exploring his options and going for more money. I would too.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Forget the arguments about his financial situation and what he should have done with his money. Only thing that matters is what he is worth now and that is largely dictated by what someone else will pay. For me it's 200000 max, very cheap for a good backup half who can also act as a halves coach. If he is really that good coaching we can talk 150000 next year but you will get so much more as a skills coach in years to come + this guy has got to be a tpa and media gig magnet. This is assuming cap space but it isn't much over minimum wage. If some desperate cashed up couldn't buy a star club wants to blow their load on him for more and he wants to take it the we wish him our best. But we will watch the live stream with popcorn ready because dragons and later years of west tigers went so well for him...

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016

Niko is a decent backup aka Mr. Fix It if injury should afflict what will be the regular halves next year. (Milf and Bird)

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Sure, if you don't know how to manage finances and live within your means.

The mrs is also working, and even if she is earning the average wage, that's still more than enough to live off.
That bold part there is important.
If you earn $50K a year, you can choose to live on your own in a trailer park, and you'd probably have "more than enough to live off". If instead, you want an actual house in a reasonable neighbourhood and a family, $50K will be a massive struggle.

I'd say 99% of people will live close to the limit of their means, regardless of income, especially when you
I don't know what Benji's household average income has been, but inevitably, with higher income, came higher expenses. Unless you're a hermit, it's highly unlikely you will be able to afford a mortgage on $100K that you got when your income was averaging $400K. Then you have all the bills attached to such a lifestyle, like car repayments, insurance, utilities, private school fees, etc...

Also, being a Rugby League player, he only has so many years of higher income, so each year's income should really be divided by 3, albeit in Benji's case, there is a great likelihood that he will have a media career waiting for him, where he will be able to maintain a reasonable income.

P.S. At the risk of sounding entitled (or like a wanker), I wouldn't know how to cope with a $100K household income now...

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
100k is probably before tax? So you're only really got about 70k to live on. Then once you take out weekly mortgage payments and commodities there isn't much left... so 100k a year doesn't get you as much these days.

N

_noosh

NYC Player
Oct 3, 2016
Niko is a decent backup aka Mr. Fix It if injury should afflict what will be the regular halves next year. (Milf and Bird)
I've become more and more doubtful that Bird will be in the halves next year. He's been pretty poor whenever he's played in the halves recently. Not to mention his lack of kicking game and organisational skills. I can't see it.

I think Benji is unlikely to get a starting halves gig elsewhere. For him, there's still a chance he could be a starting half for us next year if Kodi doesn't work out. That possibility might be the difference for him.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Why does Bennett keep saying KNik will be halfback then?

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
That bold part there is important.
If you earn $50K a year, you can choose to live on your own in a trailer park, and you'd probably have "more than enough to live off". If instead, you want an actual house in a reasonable neighbourhood and a family, $50K will be a massive struggle.

I'd say 99% of people will live close to the limit of their means, regardless of income, especially when you
I don't know what Benji's household average income has been, but inevitably, with higher income, came higher expenses. Unless you're a hermit, it's highly unlikely you will be able to afford a mortgage on $100K that you got when your income was averaging $400K. Then you have all the bills attached to such a lifestyle, like car repayments, insurance, utilities, private school fees, etc...

Also, being a Rugby League player, he only has so many years of higher income, so each year's income should really be divided by 3, albeit in Benji's case, there is a great likelihood that he will have a media career waiting for him, where he will be able to maintain a reasonable income.

P.S. At the risk of sounding entitled (or like a wanker), I wouldn't know how to cope with a $100K household income now...

At the risk of further degenerating into financial judgements there is a HUGE difference between living within your means as paycheck to paycheck and having little to retire on and hoping for the pension to be ok (when it's likely to get harder) and living within your means and planning for a long and comfortable future especially in a short career and very long retirement (how long can he be a media darling after this maybe many years maybe a few at most?). If you have that as a choice you are mad not to make the smart one.

Unread

Active Now

• davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Swordfish
  • Seibs
  • Redfern_1980
  • sooticus
  • teampjta
  • Spooky1013
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Gaz
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Galah
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.