Replacing Darren Lockyer

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Re: Darren Lockyer Retirement plans?

I still think that Norman is going to develop into something special, no where near Lockyer, but of all of the options currently at the club, I think he is the most likely.

I actually think beale will be a berrigan type utility with his best position being fullback. Perfect bench utility imo

lynx000 said:
I still think that Norman is going to develop into something special, no where near Lockyer, but of all of the options currently at the club, I think he is the most likely.

Yes. He's had flashes of form that are, IMO, more promising than most players his age. I really hope that he gets the 6 jersey full time next year and has the chance to settle in to first grade football.

Coxy said:
People had similar fears about the Broncos when Alfie retired, particularly when Renouf, Peter Ryan and Andrew Gee all left the same season. Life went on.

I think the difference is that back then the Broncos still had a playmaking superstar to build there team around (i.e Lockyer).

IMO 2012 will be the first year since the Broncos inception that they haven't had a genuine superstar playmaker to build their team around (Lewis, Langer and then Lockyer).

Sure some of the players might develop in to superstars (Hoffman is looking the goods), but they aren't anywhere near it yet.

I don't think the Broncos future is all doom and gloom, but I just think with the way the game is these days, it's going to be harder for the Broncos to continually develop, and hold on to, the superstars of tomorrow.

I agree. We face a challenge that we haven't had before. But I'm confident our club and its pride, tradition and culture of winning will come through it well.

I'm going to be completely honest, I don't know how some of you guys are suggesting Darius Boyd plays in 5/8th. The guy is as dumb as dog shit. Yes, he can break the line, bust tackles and do the link up play but he will never IMO be a good 5/8, or moreso the 5/8 the Broncos need next year.

His skillset is more based on his physical talent than the rocks up in his head. I just don't see anything in his game that would suggest otherwise.

Furthermore, we don't have anyone who we can thrust into the 5/8 or halfback position that we can rely on. To be a force we need someone in the halves we can rely on.

I expect to see a big name halfback or 5/8th recruited for 2012 and either we stick with Wallace or groom a junior in either of those positions.

Agreed. Wallace really does worry me as our chief playmaker.

I said Boyd but I meant Cooper... But which one mwahahahaha.

Aeetee said:
I said Boyd but I meant Cooper... But which one mwahahahaha.

Cooper Cronk?

It is a huge concern heightened by the fact Hoffman is a classical fullback and the continuing uncertainty surrounding our number 9. What we wouldn't give to still have Khunt chiming in to ease the play making pressures.

Neither is it through lack of forethought. The club has done all they can. Wallace (an excellent prospect at the time) was bought to fill a hole and no doubt ease the transition to a post Lockyer era. McCullough is IMO one of the best young hooking prospects in the country, whilst Hunt and Norman certainly have the potential to be long term first graders. Their development has been perfectly timed, with 2-3 years of first grade experience they should be ripe to step into the void of Locky. However, if they don't...

The solution? I'm not sure. Cross your fingers and hope that Macca and/or Hunt come of age this year.

JT comes off contract in 2012, if there was one player I'd throw some coin at and would be comfortable with him coming to the Broncos it would be him.

With that said, ideally, I'd just love to see Norman and Hunt step up.

Pretty sure Quade Cooper is currently only on a 1 year contract. So after the Rugby World Cup he'll be a free agent. I know Paul Osborne is convinced he will join Parra but surely the option of staying in Brisbane with the worlds best coach is more tempting than a team with a 20k fan base with 8 teeth between them?

I think he will probably stay in Union to be honest though, he could be making much more money there. And who knows if he would be any good in our code anyway. One thing is for sure, I would love to see some feathers get ruffled should he defect. When the talk of him going to Parra sprang up last year a Union fan on my facebook cracked the shits. But of course when they poach from us, its perfectly acceptable. :roll:

At the end of the day though, Lockyer retiring means we will need a new playmaker asap. I have absolutely no faith in Wallace, Hunt or Norman to fill the gap unfortunately.

m1c said:
What we wouldn't give to still have Khunt chiming in to ease the play making pressures.
Hunt had the same amount of playmaking ability as Wallace. none, that is. he could execute his part in our one pet play very well, but so can any number of other players (as was evident when we scored off it pretty much every other game the season after Hunt left). Hunt as a playmaker was shown up with his absolutely woeful state of origin appearance at 5/8th. i honestly dont know where people got the idea that he was a playmaker from. he had a good grubber kick on him, and could draw and pass, but thats about it.

quite frankly im very worried about us in 2012 and beyond. Wallace couldnt be the chief playmaker in a team to save his life. we'd get beaten xx-0 every single game unless we got a breakaway try from one of our back, cause wallace certainly cant put anyone over the line. Hunt just isnt impressing, and we have noone else. Norman was our next big thing but hes pretty much dropped off the face of the earth atm.

we need to buy a good halfback. through the chequebook at Thurston if he is off contract next year, or throw it at Mitchell Pearce whenever he is. that guy has star halfback written all over him.

Quade is no chance to come to Broncos.
I talked to him recently and he told me he now managed by Khoder Nasser and if he going to play league it'll be for Souths!

Even less chance if that's the case, because Khoder Nasser is not a registered player agent with the NRL.

Souths struggled to get GI under the cap. With the wages Quade Cooper will want I don't see him going there.

Just a side note, I hope Khoder Nasser gets Dysentery.

Scotty said:
Souths struggled to get GI under the cap. With the wages Quade Cooper will want I don't see him going there.

Just a side note, I hope Khoder Nasser gets Dysentery.

I was more thinking Ebola.

That will do nicely [icon_lol1.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • Porthoz
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.