Resurrected Moga ready for vindication

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
TAUTAU Moga was once rated the next Israel Folau. On Thursday night, he will be happy to settle for playing first grade at the Broncos.

Any hope Moga had of emulating the feats of dual international Folau were dashed by the time he succumbed to a third knee reconstruction at the tender age of 22.

Moga heard the whispers. He was washed up. His knees were shot. It was time to retire. But when the 103kg giant runs out for his Broncos debut against the Sharks at Southern Cross Group Stadium, it will be a vindication of sorts.

The 23-year-old has enjoyed an impressive off-season at Red Hill since quitting the Cowboys and has been rewarded with the Brisbane No. 3 jumper made famous by Steve Renouf.

It will be Moga’s first NRL game in 12 months — and just his eighth in three seasons.

“We brought him here hoping he would play NRL so he has an opportunity now,” Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said.

“Tautau has had a good pre-season, he is injury free. He is a very good athlete and he has a lot of size and speed so he has been impressive.

“He’s very confident and he is not lacking confidence in his knee, so that is the key with those things.”

Kim Bray was a development scout working at the Sydney Roosters when he spotted Moga playing in Ipswich eight years ago.

Moga was 15 and built like Adonis. Bray helped sign him on a spot for $15,000. When former Roosters coach Brian Smith laid eyes on him, he predicted Moga would be a superstar.

The hulking three-quarter scored 18 tries in 13 games in the Roosters’ SG Ball team in 2011. The following season, he was playing NRL at 18. Then came the injuries that destroyed not only his knees, but his confidence.

“I have known Tautau since he was a 15-year-old and he always reminded me of Israel Folau,” Bray said.

“Like Israel, he just had great natural ability and moved so well for a big man. I still keep in touch with Tautau and as a game, we haven’t seen the best of him.”

To cap an emotional week for Moga, he became a father in the lead-up to the Sharks clash.

“He could have easily retired, but moving to the Broncos to be near his family is a bonus for him,” Bray said.

“He got married last year and all of a sudden he’s playing NRL for the Broncos, it’s amazing how it all turns around.

“I think he will be a good signing for the Broncos. If he can stay away from injury, I really believe he can cement that centre spot.

“He should have played for Queensland or New Zealand by now. I honestly believe he is an Origin player in the making. He’s still young enough to have a long NRL career if he can get a good run with injuries.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/0ce53c1003ae97cb880a79fd7e6f1fbf

Very few gave him a chance of starting come round 1 this year. Hopefully he has earned it and has a red hot crack tomorrow night!

I'm hoping he really hoping he fulfils his potential. We will have a real player on our hands if he can.

Thing with that article, they are bigging him up by talking about the Tautau Moga full of potential, in jury free from 8 years ago. He is probably a very, very different player after 3 knee reconstructions. Would probably be better for him i guess if he had a little less spotlight on him.

I think it was @1910 who posted that Moga and Milford were practising kicking together during and after training this week. Looks like he can still jump but then, there's also Oates out there next to him. I certainly wouldn't want to be defending out there. Bring it on Milf, up high and down low. Can't wait.

Thing with that article, they are bigging him up by talking about the Tautau Moga full of potential, in jury free from 8 years ago. He is probably a very, very different player after 3 knee reconstructions. Would probably be better for him i guess if he had a little less spotlight on him.

To be fair that is a courier mail article and they will write about any broncos player knowing they'll get a ton of views out of it.

If any bloody bronco score a hatrick I will be f...ing pumped

Hope the big fella has a great year and forges a great career. Lots of players have fought through set backs and become greats. We have had a few in our club. Go and get it Moga!

Imagine lining up in defence on that side of the field. Not only do you have to try and defend against Milford, but you have 2 100kg plus backline monsters running at you, and that's before the second rower gets involved.

Yeah it that combination could be dangerous. Huge bustling beasts who have decent wheels.

Milford 2015 made Reed look like a superstar. Imagine what a player with talent and size can do.

Defensively.. expect a fair bit of traffic in the direction (Milford Moga Oates).

Good luck to him. Smells a bit too much like a Whitchurch Round 1 good off season reward selection for mine.

No need to worry about that side of the field. I do hope that Moga has Reed like ability to read play. It was one of Jacks strengths I thought. That said I think he will be good enough to do the job WB wants.

Imagine lining up in defence on that side of the field. Not only do you have to try and defend against Milford, but you have 2 100kg plus backline monsters running at you, and that's before the second rower gets involved.
+ Thaiday hahaha

It may take a few games but the left edge is power and the right has a lot speed.

Active Now

• Manlyman
  • Lozza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Nerd
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • Dony Eliakim
  • lynx000
  • Waynesaurus
  • RolledOates
  • Ozired
  • Old Mate
  • Fatboy
  • Redux
  • The Don
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • MrRobot
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.