Round 1 2014

Throwing Taylor into FG is way too early, but keeping him in U20s is poor too. Young halves especially should be learning in QLD Cup with more experienced players and better defence.

Agreed, hopefully he dominates the early rounds of U20's and gets moved into QCup for the remainder of the season. Sure if he continues to dominate even in Q Cup give him a crack around Origin (Barba's career best form will demand his selection ;) ).

I'm all for giving him a shot in first grade next season IF he works his way up to first grade and ABSOLUTELY demands selection but realistically that wouldn't ever happen. I'd be ecstatic if at the end of the season we can say wow Taylor's gone to Q Cup and performed really strongly so next season we have a half that's a genuine chance of forcing his way into the side and if not he spends another year learning and waiting for his chance.

Nothing wrong with giving him a full season of 20s football next year depending on his development and what the situation is across our club and the affiliates.

If there is one positive for his development, it's that I don't think the 20s will necessarily need him. Next year we have the Nikorima brothers & Paia'Aua among others who can fill in the halves, it's probably the most depth we've ever had in the position.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with giving him a full season of 20s football next year depending on his development and what the situation is across our club and the affiliates.

Success in U20's isn't a very reliable indicator of success in first grade though, so I'd like to see him moved to Q Cup next season if he performs strongly in 20's. Also considering we don't have a clear solution for a long term 5/8th speeding up his development could be very important considering he might be needed in first grade before to long.

The same point can be made about any second tier competition really. Fans are going to have their own agendas when it comes to the 20s but I don't think Taylor is necessarily at the stage where NYC football is going to have a detrimental impact on his game. Fans need to remember he only played 8 games at half last season. Including his time off the bench, he didn't even manage half a season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Taylor play QCup too but I wouldn't be too surprised or upset to see him spend the bulk of the season in the 20s.

Last edited:
There's quite simply no chance that we will be seeing Ashley Taylor or Cameron Cullen in a Broncos jersey this season, I think Zac Strasser is extremely long odds as well.

If it isn't Milford & Hunt in the Halves, it'll be either Barba, Hoffman or Kahu partnering Hunt

There's quite simply no chance that we will be seeing Ashley Taylor or Cameron Cullen in a Broncos jersey this season, I think Zac Strasser is extremely long odds as well.

I wouldn't say no chance. We won't know until after watching the trials.

If it isn't Milford & Hunt in the Halves, it'll be either Barba, Hoffman or Kahu partnering Hunt

Why not Cullen, hes been in QLD cup right next to strasser, it's now or never for those two, no more u20's.

Please not Cullen he is to small for front line defence.

The same point can be made about any second tier competition really. Fans are going to have their own agendas when it comes to the 20s but I don't think Taylor is necessarily at the stage where NYC football is going to have a detrimental impact on his game. Fans need to remember he only played 8 games at half last season. Including his time off the bench, he didn't even manage half a season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Taylor play QCup too but I wouldn't be too surprised or upset to see him spend the bulk of the season in the 20s.

I'd agree to that next season, though I would start to worry if his still playing there in 2015, that could really hamper his development, one thing is for sure I don't want to see one of the youngsters on the bench unless they really have proven themselves in the lower grade to be actual utilities, it hampered Hunt's development and I wouldn't want to see it happen to one of them.

I wouldn't say no chance. We won't know until after watching the trials.

Or what happens from an injury perspective, 1-2 injuries to our more "experienced" halves options and it happens. Then there's the rep season where you may see Barba in the Queensland side etc. The season can unfold a lot more differently then you predict.

Last edited:
But Langer had a tackling technique that is not allowed any more, and Campbell was a fullback. We don't need 2 Hunt like players in one team.

Last edited:
Attack is far more important for halves than size or defence. Much more so than any other position. You'd soooner put a pure defensive player right next to them for protection then go with a poor attacking half and a better attacker next to them.

Last edited:
Provided they are upto the task defensively then yes, attack is more important however often you will find though a Campbell, Barba etc playing fullback cause it takes them defensively out of the line, less tiring(making them more effective) and more freedom to work with. You still want them to be able to hold their ground defensively or you will pay for it.

I can never remember Presto's defense being much of a problem he always was willing to throw himself at the big guys and had a very good technique of going low and driving hard.

In the games I watch with Alfie he struggles defensively a bit.

But Langer had a tackling technique that is not allowed any more, and Campbell was a fullback. We don't need 2 Hunt like players in one team.

Preston Campbell won the Dally M playing in the halves

Alfie's tackling style was still allowed at the time he retired and is still allowed to this day. Alfie was one of an elite group of athletes in australian sporting history who had rules imposed on their sport specifically designed to stop them doing as they were. From memory the authorities changed the rules twice, banning a certain style of tackle and perhaps stealing the ball. In the end he was required to have two hands on the tackled player to effect a legal tackle, something he managed to do with ease. His effectiveness in tackles was not hindered in the least.

A small player must always have a place in rugby league.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Dazza 92
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Harry Sack
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • FACTHUNT
  • Astro
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Stix
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.