Round 1 2014

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
What would your guys teams be for round 1 next year assuming were full strength with no injuries during the pre season? I can't actually think of mine atm but I'd be interested to what everyone else thinks.

1 Barba 2 Hoffman 3 Reed 4 Oates 5 Kahu 6 Milford 7 B Hunt 8 Hannant 9 McCullouch 10 Thaiday 11 Glenn 12 Gillett 13 Parker 14 Granville 15 Kennedy 16 McGuire 17 Stagg

Mid Year...................1 Barba 2 Hoffman 3 Reed 4 Hodges 5 YY 6 Milford 7 Hunt 8 Hannant 9 McCullouch 10 McGuire 11 Oates 12 Gillett 13 Parker 14 Granville 15 Thaiday 16 Kennedy 17 Glenn....... after the return of Hodges and YY, Oates moves to back row, Thaiday and Glenn to bench.

Barba
Oates
Reed
Kahu (until Hodges)
Hoffman
..... (Kahu when Hodges returns unless we get Milford)
Hunt
Hannant (passing the ball)
Macca (80 minutes)
Parker (passing the ball)
Gillett
Glenn
Thaiday (passing the ball)

McGuire
Kennedy
Tasi
Stagg

(2nd receiver: Milford/Kahu/Taylor/Cullen)

Everyone minus the fat and + the equivalent in muscle)

Last edited:
1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Oates
5. Kahu
6. Milford (I guess)
7. Hunt
8. Hannant/Kennedy
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Hannant/Kennedy (on pre-season form)
16. & 17. Stagg/Thaiday/Tasi/Wallace/Hala/Dodds (on pre-season form)

Probably forgetting someone from the bench.

Oates to put on about 5- 8 kilos OF MUSCLE and play off the bench. He is our emerging backrower let's play him there and make sure he gets time, at least 15 mins before halftime and 15 after.
It's still a concern who is going to organise us even with a halves combo of Hunt and Milford but that is a solid 17 I reckon.

1. Barba

2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Hoffman
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Kennedy
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Hannant
16. Glenn
17. Oates

Dodds
J Wallace
Tasi
Drew

Last edited:
Oates is a gift horse. Our equal best winger bar none - why look a gift horse in the mouth?

He scores a try a match - often in pairs

He will also get the chance to develop speed and ball skills out wide and IMO we have enough back rowers for the moment.

He is 18 FFS and a try scoring machine - the back row can wait

Kahu has a beautiful step and limited speed - great centre or 2nd receiver for mine

Last edited:
1. Barba
2. Oates (Hoffman after Hodges Return, unless Yow Yeh isn't up for it)
3. Reed
4. Hoffman (Hodges when he returns)
5. Yow Yeh (Hoffman when hodges is back and he can't handle it)
6. Milford/Walker/Strasser
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Kennedy
11. Thaiday
12. Glenn
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Gillett
16. Hannant
17. Tasi/Dodds

After watching the YY highlights (yet again) I cannot possibly see him on the wing again although I am praying for miracles

Again, for mine, in Oates and Hoffman, we have 2 try scoring machines for 2014 - leave it that way

Hoffman and Oates can also sub in other positions if needed

Oates in the centres until Hodges returns.

Oates in the centres until Hodges returns.

... which means 1-2 tries less per game IMO

I feel he should enjoy his initiation into the top level with less than more pressure, aside from his great wing play.

He can go to centre when Hodges retires

Last edited:
With Hoffy on the wing, I don't think we'll lose much by moving Oates a little bit more infield, but I think he can provide us with more. We've already seen him bust straight through would-be tacklers when closer in field, I reckon we make the most of his size/strength/speed.

I wouldn't be against keeping Oates on the wing though, basically I just don't want him to meat up over the summer, we already have a few backrowers so there's no reason to rush him into the spot.

Hodges won't be back until July/ August.

With Hoffy on the wing, I don't think we'll lose much by moving Oates a little bit more infield, but I think he can provide us with more. We've already seen him bust straight through would-be tacklers when closer in field, I reckon we make the most of his size/strength/speed.

I wouldn't be against keeping Oates on the wing though, basically I just don't want him to meat up over the summer, we already have a few backrowers so there's no reason to rush him into the spot.

I'd love to see Oates in the centres. I just think he's not quite there yet and the last thing I want to see is doing a Norman on him.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copely/hodges
5. Yow yeh
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. Moose
12. Glenn
11. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Oates
17. Thaiday

18. Stagg
19. Dodds
20. Tasi
21. Hala
22. Lui
23. Kahu

I think Griffin's Round 1 will be:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copely
5. Kahu
6. Qld cup/Under 20's option, basically whoever steps up drung the trials. I'm not convinced Milford is a gimme atm
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McQuire
11 . Thaiday (c)
12. Gillett
13. Parker
Bench: Kennedy, Glenn, Dodds, Granville

1 - 5, take your pick on pre-season form of Barba, Hoffman, Oates, Copely, Kahu, Reed, Maranta, insert other young wingers. JYY - love the guy, but God I think he is going to struggle to displace the current crop. Unless he smashes the off season and comes back stronger. Give him time in QCup on the wing and let him build up. Fingers crossed he pulls an awesome pre-season and surprises everyone.

6 - Depends on Milford's signing. If he doesn't sign, geez we're really short there. Hook would probably play Stagg, McCullough or Capewell or another low risk option. Or Barba. And completely negate him as an attacking threat.

7. Hunt

8,9,10, 16 - Pick themselves. Hannant, Kennedy and McGuire - bloody good rotation there.

11,12,13 - Glenn, Parker and Thaiday. Gillett off the bench for mine. Staggy is a true professional and a great Dallas Johnson type, but we've got the best 80 minute lock in the game so it's hard to find a spot for him. He'll have plenty of game time with injuries and SOO, but not in our best 17.

14. Granville/Baptiste - Granville is a bit goofy, but adds a POD to the team? Baptiste - I think he's in Hooks's permanent bad books after one bad performance.
15. Gillett
17. Hala/Tasi/Dodds/Anderson/Jarrod Wallace/Molo/Timu - but never ever together on the same field at once.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Santa
  • winslow_wong
  • Dazza 92
  • FACTHUNT
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.