Round 1 2014

Interesting observation about Slater, and the role of FB, to me anyway, from :

The No.1 threats for the finals - NRL.com

"His (Slater's) liveliness, positional play and talk behind the Storm line are major reasons for the success of Craig Bellamy’s defensive structure."

Any comments?

1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Dale Copley
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Sam Thaiday (c)
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Jake Granville
15. Josh McGuire
16. Alex Glenn
17. Corey Oates

The idea of Barba at fullback still gives me goosebumps. If he gets himself right off the field, he'll make a huge difference for us.

Hook could go with Oates in the #4 but I'd prefer my centre to have a range of skills and ideally that man is Jordan Kahu. Right now, JK is a work in progress but if he has a strong off-season he could become a revelation for us.

Milford is wishful thinking at this stage but I'm pretty confident he's coming.

My prop rotation is going to raise a few eyebrows so allow me to explain. By no means is it a reflection of how I rank our props, I just believe that formation suits our team the best. Kennedy is there for the opening exchanges to add some thrust in the middle comes off after 20 and then Show (or Hannant, depends on form) plays the rest of the game.

I've given Oates the last bench spot. I believe a player of his ability needs a place in the side and could be very handy in a pinch-hitting type role.

I have a similar side BP and I agree with Oates on the bench. He is a future backrower so lets get him started and he can also cover centre , wing at this stage if the need arises.
That backline is good and covers just about any scenario with injury during a game which is a bonus.

Interesting observation about Slater, and the role of FB, to me anyway, from :

The No.1 threats for the finals - NRL.com

"His (Slater's) liveliness, positional play and talk behind the Storm line are major reasons for the success of Craig Bellamy’s defensive structure."

Any comments?

And in attack too. I've heard Phil Gould say a number of times that Slater tells Smith and Cronk where to kick the ball. General consensus around NRL fans would be that it's the other way around.

1: Ben Barba
2: Corey Oates
3: Jack Reed
4: Justin Hodges (if avaible)
5: Josh Hoffman
6: Anthony Milford
7: Ben Hunt
8: Ben Hannant
9: Andrew McCullogh
10: Martin Kennedy
11: Sam Thiaday
12: Matt Gillett
13: Corey Parker

14: Alex Glenn
15: Jake Granville
16: David Stagg
17: Lama Tasi

Oh, I forgot:

Coach: Anyone but Griffin.

Let's get Ricky Stuart then

1: Ben Barba
2: Corey Oates
3: Jack Reed
4: Justin Hodges (if avaible)
5: Josh Hoffman
6: Anthony Milford
7: Ben Hunt
8: Ben Hannant
9: Andrew McCullogh
10: Martin Kennedy
11: Sam Thiaday
12: Matt Gillett
13: Corey Parker

14: Alex Glenn
15: Jake Granville
16: David Stagg
17: Lama Tasi

Just gonna dump Josh McGuire?

Just gonna dump Josh McGuire?

Seems like the short term memory hasn't completely returned. Yes he would be there in the place of Martin Kennedy with Kennedy put on the bench.

will-smith-snapbacks-310x150.gif

I'm kinda torn between having Hoffman on the wing and having him in the centres.

On the one hand, we can see how Hoffman runs the ball at fullback in attack, with a lot of footwork being used to try to beat the defender. You'd think that sort of style of benefit him playing with a bit of extra space at centre. It could easily fool the centre into coming in too, allowing Hoffman to hopefully draw and pass.

On the other hand, playing on the wing allows him almost completely forget about passing, and build on the combination with Reed. Reed is honestly a fairly ordinary ball runner, but having someone of Hoffman's class outside of him will not allow him to hog the ball.

I'm kinda torn between having Hoffman on the wing and having him in the centres.

On the one hand, we can see how Hoffman runs the ball at fullback in attack, with a lot of footwork being used to try to beat the defender. You'd think that sort of style of benefit him playing with a bit of extra space at centre. It could easily fool the centre into coming in too, allowing Hoffman to hopefully draw and pass.

On the other hand, playing on the wing allows him almost completely forget about passing, and build on the combination with Reed. Reed is honestly a fairly ordinary ball runner, but having someone of Hoffman's class outside of him will not allow him to hog the ball.

This is your answer, IMO. I've actually given this question a lot of thought (scarily, lol), watched a lot of footage and Hoffman is best suited to Wing. No question. You get his freakish finishing ability, his solid hitups coming out of our own end and his safety at the back under the high ball. Sorry Josh, it's your best position, buddy.

And in attack too. I've heard Phil Gould say a number of times that Slater tells Smith and Cronk where to kick the ball. General consensus around NRL fans would be that it's the other way around.

KHunt used to be good at pushing the guys around too, and Locky was a gem of course. Hoffy could learn a lot by watching off-the-ball tapes of these guys, if he really is keen on FB. Especially since the other guys seem to love him so much, they should listen to him = good.

HOWEVER - much as I like Hoffy, it would be absolutely criminal to NOT play the reigning Dally M FB, at FB...

1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

Interchange:
14. Jake Granville
15. Corey Oates
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Martin Kennedy

With current signings:

1. Hoffman
2. Oates
3. Reed
4. Glenn
5. Copely
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Stagg
17. Lui

1 Barba
2 Hoffman
3 Oates
4 Reed
5 Copley
6 Gillett
7 Hunt
8 Parker
9 McCullough vc
10 Hannant
11 Thaiday c
12 Glenn
13 McQuire
14 Granville
15 Kennedy
16 Dodds
17 Stagg

1 Barba
2 Hoffman
3 Reed
4 Oates
5 Kahu
6 milford/strasser
7 hunt
8 hannant
9 McCullough
10 Kennedy
11 thaiday
12 Gillette
13 Parker

14 granville/baptiste/c . Cullen
15 Glenn
16 Maguire
17 hala / tasi

I know a lot of people on here are norman haters but I would of liked to see him at 6 with hunt at 7 , he is a great ball runner hard to put down with all the skill set of a old school 6 (Lewis / fittler / daley ) would easily have the potential to be better than Sutton. But i think there moving towards a halves pairing like Pearce and Maloney hence the reason why there chasing milford and have signed strasser and Taylor .

My team, based what we know now: Barba is coming, JYY will be fit for Rd1, Hodges won't be fit for Rd 1, and Milford won't be here.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Yow Yeh
6. Kahu
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Stagg
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Kennedy
16. Tasi
17. Gillett

If we got Midlford, I would drop Glenn off the bench, place Milford in the 6 and Kahu as the bench utility.
6. Milford
14. Kahu

My team, based what we know now: Barba is coming, JYY will be fit for Rd1, Hodges won't be fit for Rd 1, and Milford won't be here.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Yow Yeh
6. Kahu
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Stagg
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Kennedy
16. Tasi
17. Gillett

If we got Midlford, I would drop Glenn off the bench, place Milford in the 6 and Kahu as the bench utility.
6. Milford
14. Kahu
I hope you're going to find space in the side for totoro and the radish spirit.

Yeah Tsai and kahu refs deserve to be there more so than Gillett and Oates, two of our top three prospects. Both likely future Australian players.

Active Now

• rj9
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Morkel
  • Old Mate
  • bb_gun
  • lynx000
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Foordy
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Browny
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.