15. Jensen
16. Kennedy
17. Robati

18. Reynolds
19. Hetherington
20. Turpin
21. Cobbo
22. Mam
The only thing I think is missing is Oates. I think Kevvie will lean on his experience because this team has been so messed around all week. At least Oates knows his job (apparently :-) )

The Roosters don't have to abide by Covid and the Storm have two sets of results, one on the official books, the other the actual results.
I’d laugh if I wasn’t so triggered by the comment.

Based on what? I am guessing you watched a few highlight reels, you obviously didn't watch the last trial.

That is basic effort, he didn't have any of it, plenty of effort with the ball but not a whole lot without it.
One of the most brutal crashes to Earth I've ever seen, after we'd been hyping him the entire off-season. That half arsed run chase in the Titans' trial made us realize what we lost with Xavier Coates. For all his other shortcomings, Xavier would've bowled that fat **** over the sideline.

But after Kevvie bent to our demands for him to be fast tracked to his inevitable role at fullback against the Titans, that hit like a wet fish to the face. He didn't even look NRL standard. Even more galling was all of us landed on the same page with that performance, but the media saw something else. They only saw the hit-ups.

The same happened with Milford, though more gradually. It took a while for Broncos fans to see what a passenger he'd become but once we did, he never redeemed himself. Yet fans of other clubs - and certain journalists - never watched him through our eyes and still think he's the million dollar white elephant we poached from Canberra. Oddly, one of those people is Wayne Bennett.

But back to Selwyn, I'm still waiting to hear that he was recovering from Covid and that's why he was so gassed. Tick tick tick.

One of the most brutal crashes to Earth I've ever seen, after we'd been hyping him the entire off-season. That half arsed run chase in the Titans' trial made us realize what we lost with Xavier Coates. For all his other shortcomings, Xavier would've bowled that fat **** over the sideline.

But after Kevvie bent to our demands for him to be fast tracked to his inevitable role at fullback against the Titans, that hit like a wet fish to the face. He didn't even look NRL standard. Even more galling was all of us landed on the same page with that performance, but the media saw something else. They only saw the hit-ups.

The same happened with Milford, though more gradually. It took a while for Broncos fans to see what a passenger he'd become but once we did, he never redeemed himself. Yet fans of other clubs - and certain journalists - never watched him through our eyes and still think he's the million dollar white elephant we poached from Canberra. Oddly, one of those people is Wayne Bennett.

But back to Selwyn, I'm still waiting to hear that he was recovering from Covid and that's why he was so gassed. Tick tick tick.

The most alarming non-effort for me was the first one, where the Cows scored.

They'd had basically no ball up until that stage, for some reason he committed himself to the left of the picture playing the sweeping fullback role, they were struggling to get to a kick so he had every opportunity to get back to where the ball was, or at least to a neutral location in the middle to react to the kick, old mate kicks it for himself and Selwyn's not even in the frame. That was only 20 minutes into the game.

He needs to go back to the drawing board and work hard on being able to make just basic efforts without the ball.

We all know what he's capable of with the ball but that's only half the battle in the NRL, particularly for us. We need defensive resolve.

The most alarming non-effort for me was the first one, where the Cows scored.

They'd had basically no ball up until that stage, for some reason he committed himself to the left of the picture playing the sweeping fullback roll, they were struggling to get to a kick so he had every opportunity to get back to where the ball was, or at least to a neutral location in the middle to react to the kick, old mate kicks it for himself and Selwyn's not even in the frame. That was only 20 minutes into the game.

He needs to go back to the drawing board and work hard on being able to make just basic efforts without the ball.

We all know what he's capable of with the ball but that's only half the battle in the NRL, particularly for us. We need defensive resolve.
The only reason I haven't harped on Cobbo is because it could genuinely just be lack of fitness post-covid.

But if he's feeling 100% and that was his output, I wouldn't be talking extensions just yet, because I was very disappointed with a few of his efforts that game. No way is he worth 600k based on that, but hopefully it's just covid hangover because **** we're due to have a hyped up junior who isn't average for once.

The only reason I haven't harped on Cobbo is because it could genuinely just be lack of fitness post-covid.

But if he's feeling 100% and that was his output, I wouldn't be talking extensions just yet, because I was very disappointed with a few of his efforts that game. No way is he worth 600k based on that, but hopefully it's just covid hangover because **** we're due to have a hyped up junior who isn't average for once.
That would certainly explain it, but there might have been a couple of earlier warning bells we've ignored. He was similarly gassed and error prone in his QCup grand final appearance but everyone (me, anyway) put it down to him trying to win the game by himself.

If that's the case maybe he needs to both raise his fitness level (massively) and learn to pace himself so he doesn't get wrong footed from having nothing left in the tank.

That would certainly explain it, but there might have been a couple of earlier warning bells we've ignored. He was similarly gassed and error prone in his QCup grand final appearance but everyone (me, anyway) put it down to him trying to win the game by himself.

If that's the case maybe he needs to both raise his fitness level (massively) and learn to pace himself so he doesn't get wrong footed from having nothing left in the tank.
I think to play fullback you either have elite level fitness or you don't, I can't think of many examples of players suddenly becoming fullback fit, even a seasoned vet like Rapana was vomiting end of game playing fullback. I've said it before, your favourite, Herbie fits the bill for elite fitness, I really want to see him at fullback.

I recall Latrell took a bit of grooming before he became an 80 minute player, it's definitely not easy.

I'm by no means giving up on Selwyn, we've just had a reality check, probably one that a few of us needed to have. Yes he's potentially a great player but it's going to take time to get him there. I wonder how many will now be keen to see how Herbie goes? Before it was people potting Herbie as they wanted Selwyn to get a crack, Selwyn has now had his chance and we've seen his deficiencies. Might be time to give Herbie a chance?

Kevvie will make the right call, from the armchair we all crucified him for not letting Selwyn play fullback, I suspect he knew what we all know now, that is that he wasn't ready.

I recall Latrell took a bit of grooming before he became an 80 minute player, it's definitely not easy.

I'm by no means giving up on Selwyn, we've just had a reality check, probably one that a few of us needed to have. Yes he's potentially a great player but it's going to take time to get him there. I wonder how many will now be keen to see how Herbie goes? Before it was people potting Herbie as they wanted Selwyn to get a crack, Selwyn has now had his chance and we've seen his deficiencies. Might be time to give Herbie a chance?

Kevvie will make the right call, from the armchair we all crucified him for not letting Selwyn play fullback, I suspect he knew what we all know now, that is that he wasn't ready.
I would be all for giving Herbie a chance if he could draw and pass with the ball in hand. Herbie doesn't seem to have the footy smarts to play FB and that was seen last year.

I think to play fullback you either have elite level fitness or you don't, I can't think of many examples of players suddenly becoming fullback fit, even a seasoned vet like Rapana was vomiting end of game playing fullback. I've said it before, your favourite, Herbie fits the bill for elite fitness, I really want to see him at fullback.
I'm fine with Herbie getting a go, and agree his effort, fitness, kicking and safety under the high ball has never been in question. It's only his team play that's been a stickler. I would like to see him linking up with other players rather than just hitting it back up. Then we have a deal.

As it stands, if Herbie is super fit and not suffering from post covid fatigue, he has to have the edge on Selwyn, whether it's the wing or elsewhere.

Selwyn has never been a giving up type of player, I’m fairly confident it can be put down to Covid.

I love your confidence, and would love to share it, but I'd like to have it confirmed he's had Covid first. Besides, none of us think he's a "giving up type of player," I'm saying he's running out of puff by giving it too much that he doesn't have. The mystery is why he doesn't have it.

let's not forget a big preseason and he's only 19 , debut, GF and Allstars .
deserves a bit of grace.

No he doesn't. It's a level playing field. If you're good enough to play, you're old enough to play. But you have to be good enough. What's the point of a trial otherwise?

I'm fine with Herbie getting a go, and agree his effort, fitness, kicking and safety under the high ball has never been in question. It's only his team play that's been a stickler. I would like to see him linking up with other players rather than just hitting it back up. Then we have a deal.

As it stands, if Herbie is super fit and not suffering from post covid fatigue, he has to have the edge on Selwyn, whether it's the wing or elsewhere.

I love your confidence, and would love to share it, but I'd like to have it confirmed he's had Covid first. Besides, none of us think he's a "giving up type of player," I'm saying he's running out of puff by giving it too much that he doesn't have. The mystery is why he doesn't have it.

No he doesn't. It's a level playing field. If you're good enough to play, you're old enough to play. But you have to be good enough. What's the point of a trial otherwise?
Given it's obvious Cobbo isn't ready, Niu is injured and Isaako... Well he's Isaako, I'm hoping we see Herbie named at 1 tomorrow.

Cobbo needs to spend a season or two at wing if he has the chops for fullback, he'll have chances throughout the next 2 years to fill in and show it. I don't know if Herbie has the potential to be there long term, he'll need to develop some sort of link play at minimum but he seems the only one in the team who at least has the fitness and safety to play there. Niu will probably take the 1 back when he's fit, unless Herbie kills it.

We really need to go to market for 2023 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Sproj
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Tmac
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • Culhwch
  • Shane Tronc
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • mrtij
  • Skyblues87
  • Xzei
  • phoenix
  • Aldo
  • Rambstien
  • BruiserMk1
  • Dexter
  • johnny plath
  • Lozza
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.