PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2022] - Broncos v Rabbitohs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports coming out that Isaako is training at Fullback and Cobbo is training with the reserves.

Sounds like this will be the R1 back line -

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Pereira
well that is disappointing for cobbo

Reports coming out that Isaako is training at Fullback and Cobbo is training with the reserves.

Sounds like this will be the R1 back line -

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Pereira
maybe not a bad thing, Cobbo could be struggling with the reported big preseason. plenty of experience to start the season.

Honnery reckons Oates is the weakest link. Reckons the wings will go to Cobbo and Periera, and that Corey's best chance is if Cobbo is favoured over Isaako at the back. Sounds about right to me.

Here's Oates, being candid about only pulling his finger out when he wants a contract:

“I’ve done it pretty much every time I’ve signed a contract, I’ve left it late until the middle of the year. I don’t want to be picked on my performances from previous years. I want to be signed on from what I can bring this year. That’s up to me and my performances. That’s all I’m choosing to do on the day. I’ve done it before, I can do it again."

“I know I can get back to the player everyone thinks I am and I honestly feel really good about myself and my body. If I keep doing all of the extra stuff to keep my body feeling fresh, I can only be happy with what I put on the field. The rest is up to Kevvie. The contract thing will sort itself out if my performances on the field are what I want them to be.”

“I’ve just got to do my job and put my best foot forward and be happy with my performances in the trials. I feel like we’re doing a pretty good job. I’m just trying to keep getting better and keep doing them little extras, keeping my body feeling well and looking after myself. I do feel really good this year. I feel a lot better than I have for a long time. I can only do what I can control and that’s my performances. My performances reflect on my training and all the little extra stuff from training so if I can make sure I’m doing all of that … I’ll be pretty happy with myself and the decisions from Kevie.”

McHunt

If Cobbo is a healthy scratch, that won't go down well with the fans but it's more about his development as a player, he did a few things in that last trial that weren't NRL standard.

well that is disappointing for cobbo
maybe not a bad thing, Cobbo could be struggling with the reported big preseason. plenty of experience to start the season.
ISC and NRL don't align so if Cobbo doesn't play this week he'd get a week off which might not be a bad thing.
In fairness, if trial form means anything, Selwyn hasn't earned his spot. It's an interesting comment on the failure of sports journalism that every commentator gushed over his trials but every fan who actually watched the games was shocked by his poor fitness and general game awareness. Makes you wonder if they only watch the highlights.

By the same logic I wouldn't be picking Herbie either - if he's available - unless he's been blowing everyone else off the park in training. I'd also be putting a big questionmark over the fitness of anyone who's recently had covid.

That said, without Adam, I'm prepared to treat this as a trial match, and accept a bad result in return for a little experimentation. Here's my team:

1. Selwyn (if Covid recovery explains his shithouse form), otherwise Jamayne
2. Jordan (trial)
3. Brenko (trial)
4. Kotoni
5. Herbie/Selwyn/Jamayne (all subject to fitness)
6. Ezra (trial) <--- non negotiable
7. Albert (subject to fitness)
8. Patty
9. Jake
10. Payne
11. Kurt (captain)
12. Jordan
13. TC

14. BUBBLE 'O BILL (WHAT A CATCHY NICKNAME)
15. Ryan
16. Keenan
17. Corey Jensen/Corey Oates (last chance, or send him packing)

I've always though Walters was the coach we had to have to stop a lot of the outside noise rather than the coach we actually needed. Now i dont know who that would have been either at the time, but i sadly dont think Kevvie is going to last here.
I agree, but he would have to really tank for Broncos to be able to sack him without the old boys getting off sides again.

If we end up say 2-8 after the first 10 games and end up bottom 4, I think it's safe to say he might not last to next year. Old boys will still come in to bat for him but won't be as vocal....the results speak for themselves.

If we just miss the 8, it's still a failure for the Broncos, but would be a lot harder to justify sacking him as it is still an improvement on last year. The old boys will lose their shit again. I think we would be up for another year of mediocrity next year unless we can solve the current problems with the roster......5/8, FB and Hooker.

I'm all for the Broncos getting out and about helping with the flood cleanup, but is anyone else nervous given how much covid is out there? There might not be a bubble, but we should still be careful.

I'm all for the Broncos getting out and about helping with the flood cleanup, but is anyone else nervous given how much covid is out there? There might not be a bubble, but we should still be careful.
Kotoni and Jake are housemates and are pretty social. If they haven't already had it I reckon they must know what they're doing (ridiculous wishful thinking, I know). Albert must've already tested negative after isolation, otherwise literally wtf.

Besides that, they're not breaking any rules. Our state's CHO is encouraging us to get out there and circulate. For better or worse.

I expect Isaako, Oates and Kennedy will all be named. I'm just pointing these out because they're contentious selections. Cobbo looks like a development player still.
I imagine it will be Gamble with Reynolds. Turps with BWalters in 14. I'd have Haas and Kennedy start but it will probably be Carrigan instead.

Oates was pretty good in the trials and really helped with go forward. Handling was okay too so on the basis of his trial form and proven nrl prowess I'd think he'll get the nod.

Bench is where it gets tricky. I think Kennedy and Walters most likely but the other two forwards? Replacing props with props has always worked for me so maybe James( not that he impressed) but we have choices.

Going to be an interesting game... Looking forward to watching.

Broncs at $3.60 currently, seems fair enough.

I will riot if Cobbo is not selected.

I reckon it will be @Jedhead:

1. Isaako
2. Pereira
3. Stagg
4. Lee
5. Farnworth
6. Kelly
7. Gamble
8. Haas
9. Paix
10. James
11. Capewell (c)
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Walters
15. Jensen
16. Kennedy
17. Robati

18. Reynolds
19. Hetherington
20. Turpin
21. Cobbo
22. Mam

I reckon it will be @Jedhead:

5. Farnworth
6. Kelly
7. Gamble
9. Paix
18. Reynolds
All currently out with Covid. Except maybe Albert.

UPDATE:

Albert and Herbie back at training.
Cobbo, Oates, Walters, Lee, Farnworth, Roberts, TMM, Turpin, Isaako and Mam in the mix.
Isaako likely fullback.
Cobbo likely wing outside Staggs.

All currently out with Covid. Except maybe Albert.

UPDATE:

Albert and Herbie back at training.
Cobbo, Oates, Walters, Lee, Farnworth, Roberts, TMM, Turpin, Isaako and Mam in the mix.
Isaako likely fullback.

Don't forget the rule changes, hence these guys all being included (with the exception of perhaps Gamble).

Don't forget the rule changes, hence these guys all being included (with the exception of perhaps Gamble).
I'm leery about rushing to pick guys who are recovering from an illness that severely impacts fitness. That's if they've actually been sick.

FWIW, Paix is on Day 5 and is asymptomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Sproj
  • marw
  • Broncosgirl
  • Morkel
  • Pablo
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • eazy-duzzit
  • porouian
  • TimWhatley
  • Stix
  • whykickamoocow
  • Waynesaurus
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.