PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2022] - Broncos v Rabbitohs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I don't know who's had covid. Do you? Has Selwyn had it, for example?

UPDATE:

Kevvie talks about Covid recovery here. He says only 4 of the squad haven't had it, and that Patty and Payne struggled when they came back:

26 of the 30 have had COVID .
4.04 minutes of the interview . Expect lots of fatigue late in games is my prediction .

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
4.04 minutes of the interview . Expect lots of fatigue late in games is my prediction .
I'd say the number who've had is a lot higher than 26. He literally said 4 haven't had it. No idea how many players he was talking about - whether it's the top squad - but there's more than 30 knocking around training.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Would have used Lee and put staggs at 6, I’m still seriously concerned about staggs defence at Center. He does not look improved at all when it comes to that, 6 is easier to defend.
There will be at least three tries down his edge on Friday night.
Really? In the opening game and without rehearsal you're picking Staggs for the 6? Rather Kennedy or Isaako! Hell, Oates even.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Absolutely agree and good point. Even younger superfit people will likely suffer after effects.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Really? In the opening game and without rehearsal you're picking Staggs for the 6? Rather Kennedy or Isaako! Hell, Oates even.
Wasn’t saying anything about Kennedy or Isaako. I would have have had staggs in the halves with Kelly or billy and either those two in the 14 with Lee starting at Centre. I just don’t like roberts randomly in the team.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Wasn’t saying anything about Kennedy or Isaako. I would have have had staggs in the halves with Kelly or billy and either those two in the 14 with Lee starting at Centre. I just don’t like roberts randomly in the team.
I know you weren't ragging on RK or Isaako. I still don't understand how you think it's reasonable to put a guy at 6 who hasn't played there! Alright, he's had a game or two there a long time ago but seriously? Roberts isn't random, he's played nrl for a long time and he's covering very familiar positions.

Don't be surprised if he's handy and KW didn't just randomly pick him. You never know, Roberts may have impressed KW behind the scenes and KW may identify with Roberts insomuch that KW didn't see himself amongst the gifted.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Perfectly sane conspiracy theory, part II:

1. This is a trial for who partners Reynolds next week. Albert vs Billy (spoiler alert: who's wearing the 6?)
2. Roberts can come into the 6, and Billy can take over at 9. Turpin is on trial now.
3. Now we're also trialing Billy as the utility.
4. If Billy doesn't **** up, he gets the 6 and Gamble can take the bench. Same drill next week.
5. If Billy doesn't cut it at 6, he swaps with Gamble on the bench.
6. Win-win for the Walters.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
One thing that needs to be addressed from the trial games is kick pressure. Our kickers were constantly swamped, we let their kickers play in a dinner suit. It's one of the "effort" areas that, if it isn't under-rated by the Broncos, was at least seriously neglected in the trials.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
One thing that needs to be addressed from the trial games is kick pressure. Our kickers were constantly swamped, we let their kickers play in a dinner suit. It's one of the "effort" areas that, if it isn't under-rated by the Broncos, was at least seriously neglected in the trials.
I think 'constantly swamped' is seriously overstating things but you're right in that it is an area which requires improvement. I thought we were slightly improved despite having many changes around the ruck in the trials.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
I have another perfectly sane conspiracy theory counter to yours:

1. This round is about another 5/8th's debut, one the coach would love to be the future of the club.
2. This is Billy's big chance to land the glamour position. It's what Kevvie wants, but he still has to earn it.
3. Billy isn't being shielded from the press. But the press isn't very interested.
4. Nothing wrong with Kevvie wanting his son to succeed. As long as it's good for the club.
5. But here's the conspiracy theory: he doesn't want the utility to overshadow him.
6. But he also doesn't want the utility to let the team down.
7. Problem.
8. So he's chosen Roberts, who can do the job, but probably isn't going to steal Billy's thunder.
9. There will be no Ezra because he'll steal the spotlight.
10. Billy will need to fail before we see Ezra at 6.

"There might be a late change" conspiracy theory.

What do they know!

Seen a lot of love for the Eels. They're pretty much fucked, right?

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Parra are the only side in there that could potentially take down one of the Roosters, Penrith or Melbourne in a big semi-finals game, if they don't have any big injuries

I think that the Roosters will be very hard to beat this year, Melbourne will have a good year but I don't think they'll be the team setting the pace, still will be in the top 4 though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.