PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2022] - Broncos v Rabbitohs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I still think Cobbo is one of the most over-hyped players in recent memory. People think he is the next Inglis, when he is more likely to turn into the next Dane Nielson. Blokes got talent, but FMD some of the chat around him is nearing delusional.

People base it off probably his performances for Wynnum in ISC. I think he is potentially a really good player, but only if we pick a position for him and let him develop accordingly. If its fullback, then it has to be in Queensland Cup.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
It’s the Broncos. Every player gets overhyped.
The media write it, it gets clicks and they keep regurgitating the same shit.
Players like Mam, Mariner, Mozer and Cobbo I genuinely feel sorry for. They’re young blokes, who all seem quite down to earth but then every paper in the country writes headlines about them being the next..
It certainly can be a hindrance to their development and that’s where the club needs to nurture these blokes and have plans for them otherwise, club x will no doubt offer four times their market price and offer them their jersey of choice.
And that certainly is an area the Storm excel

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
People base it off probably his performances for Wynnum in ISC. I think he is potentially a really good player, but only if we pick a position for him and let him develop accordingly. If its fullback, then it has to be in Queensland Cup.
Not necessarily, when RTS was at the Roosters him and Mino used to swap in attack. Mino would go to the wing and RTS to the back. This would allow Mino to do all the hard work and defensive coordination. While RTS could preserve energy to produce that beautiful running game. Over time RTS motor improved and we all know what happened.

Obviously we don't have the luxury of an experienced fullback who can switch like that. I would at a stretch consider Mead as a possible option for it. Really all our fullbacks are not up to NRL standard in defense. Niu was making all the same mistakes last year that Cobbo did the other night and a lot of it comes down to fatigue. Fullback requires a different type of engine and it comes from doing it week in week out. How many preseasons has Cobbo had?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Not necessarily, when RTS was at the Roosters him and Mino used to swap in attack. Mino would go to the wing and RTS to the back. This would allow Mino to do all the hard work and defensive coordination. While RTS could preserve energy to produce that beautiful running game. Over time RTS motor improved and we all know what happened.

Obviously we don't have the luxury of an experienced fullback who can switch like that. I would at a stretch consider Mead as a possible option for it. Really all our fullbacks are not up to NRL standard in defense. Niu was making all the same mistakes last year that Cobbo did the other night and a lot of it comes down to fatigue. Fullback requires a different type of engine and it comes from doing it week in week out. How many preseasons has Cobbo had?
That quality fullback you said about he could interchange with made a massive difference. I do think RTS had fullback fitness tbf as well compared to Cobbo. He had the benefit of playing NYC and for Newtown Jets as well. They just managed him a lot better than we probably can with Cobbo. I dont think we have the team to be able to do what the Rorters did.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
That quality fullback you said about he could interchange with made a massive difference. I do think RTS had fullback fitness tbf as well compared to Cobbo. He had the benefit of playing NYC and for Newtown Jets as well. They just managed him a lot better than we probably can with Cobbo. I dont think we have the team to be able to do what the Rorters did.

He played 17 NYC games in 12 and was making his NRL debut by July 2012. He'd only taken up league 12 months earlier in NZ. He didn't do much of an apprenticeship at all.

Only three of his first 57 games were at fullback though, 54 on the wing. That's probably more the key.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Yep, Cobbo had a bit of a shocker the other night.

So did Hodges in his Origin debut and Lockyer in his Australian debut. Shit happens. Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. The kid has played 7 NRL games and a handful more ISC.

People only think he’s overrated because they believe this next Inglis / Latrell bullshit. He looked quite solid in his 7 NRL games last season at centre / wing. Give him time.

I personally don’t think he’s overrated. I also don’t think he’s underrated. I think he’s a 19 year old kid with potential and that’s about it.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I'm expecting to see Pereira and Cobbo on the wings with Farnworth and Staggs in the centres. Lee if Farnworth is injured.

Isaako will be fullback. Cobbo didn't do a well enough job to take the spot from Isaako.

I'm expecting Walters to get the nod over Gamble. I think Gamble is going to be playing reserve grade and I think Paix will be starting hooker with Turpin playing from the bench.

I don't expect any surprises with the rest of the forward pack.

F

Footy Fanatic

NRL Player
Dec 12, 2018
I think Kelly is the most likely partner for Reynolds based off his experience and skill set.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I'm expecting to see Pereira and Cobbo on the wings with Farnworth and Staggs in the centres. Lee if Farnworth is injured.

Isaako will be fullback. Cobbo didn't do a well enough job to take the spot from Isaako.

I'm expecting Walters to get the nod over Gamble. I think Gamble is going to be playing reserve grade and I think Paix will be starting hooker with Turpin playing from the bench.

I don't expect any surprises with the rest of the forward pack.
1. Isaako
2. Pereira
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Walters
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Paix
10. Carrigan
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Hetherington
14. Turpin
15. Jensen
16. James
17. Robati/Palasia
Is this your side??

Add Flegs and Tesi into that and we will be just fine. Edge defence and keeping their heads on will be all we need to work on.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
He played 17 NYC games in 12 and was making his NRL debut by July 2012. He'd only taken up league 12 months earlier in NZ. He didn't do much of an apprenticeship at all.

Only three of his first 57 games were at fullback though, 54 on the wing. That's probably more the key.

In terms of his fullback fitness i was talking about it was more that i think he is just naturally fitter than Cobbo is.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yep, Cobbo had a bit of a shocker the other night.

So did Hodges in his Origin debut and Lockyer in his Australian debut. Shit happens. Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. The kid has played 7 NRL games and a handful more ISC.

People only think he’s overrated because they believe this next Inglis / Latrell bullshit. He looked quite solid in his 7 NRL games last season at centre / wing. Give him time.

I personally don’t think he’s overrated. I also don’t think he’s underrated. I think he’s a 19 year old kid with potential and that’s about it.
The next Ingliss/Latrell bullshit as you call it is exactly the overrating we’re taking about. But we’ve all been guilty of overrating him here. Pretty much all of us to a man were demanding he be fullback and expecting a revelation.

Right now, maybe we’re underrating him. Let’s see him prove it.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Broncos Weekly got it right this week.

Ezra would still be playing cup for the next 2 seasons under the Storm system.

Gotta learn the right lessons from how badly we handled Dearden...

Same goes for "Andrew McCullough" whose name we shall not mention here....:secret:
The media don't hype up their juniors deluxe though. We have to contend with kids who are yet to play a game of NRL being offered insane money.

EDIT: already covered by other posters lol :)

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
1. Isaako
2. Pereira
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Walters
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Paix
10. Carrigan
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Hetherington
14. Turpin
15. Jensen
16. James
17. Robati/Palasia
Is this your side??

Add Flegs and Tesi into that and we will be just fine. Edge defence and keeping their heads on will be all we need to work on.

Yeah that's pretty much the side I'm expecting.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Watching Melbourne play Newcastle late on Kayo, all it does is illustrate how off the pace we actually are. Every play Melbourne make has some sort of structure about it. Is the ball coming out to the right fast? Jennings is on the run ready to receive it. Munster has made a break down the middle? His hooker is flying up in support. They don't even have to wonder if their teammate is going to be there to support or to play their role, they just know they will be, because if they don't they're gonna have to deal with Bellyache at the half time break and that's enough to intimidate the toughest footballer. Walters looks like a Retriever puppy by comparison.

That's what real accountability looks like. Not this silent treatment shit we see from our mob and the limp noodle attempts to pull a Bennett and manipulate the media that Kev busies himself with.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Watching Melbourne play Newcastle late on Kayo, all it does is illustrate how off the pace we actually are. Every play Melbourne make has some sort of structure about it. Is the ball coming out to the right fast? Jennings is on the run ready to receive it. Munster has made a break down the middle? His hooker is flying up in support. They don't even have to wonder if their teammate is going to be there to support or to play their role, they just know they will be, because if they don't they're gonna have to deal with Bellyache at the half time break and that's enough to intimidate the toughest footballer. Walters looks like a Retriever puppy by comparison.

That's what real accountability looks like. Not this silent treatment shit we see from our mob and the limp noodle attempts to pull a Bennett and manipulate the media that Kev busies himself with.
Bellamy didn’t waltz into a bottom 4 team and start ripping everyone new arseholes though. He built it over time and was lucky enough to have a nucleus of players to help him do it.

Whilst I can’t stand the large proportion of delicate flowers we’ve had at our club the last 5 years or so, Michael Maguire is a good example of what happens when you do exactly what you’d like Walters to do.

Like it or not, coaches have to stroke the many egos at the club these days, otherwise player power (whatever the **** that is) wins out and the coach is sacked.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Bellamy didn’t waltz into a bottom 4 team and start ripping everyone new arseholes though. He built it over time and was lucky enough to have a nucleus of players to help him do it.

Whilst I can’t stand the large proportion of delicate flowers we’ve had at our club the last 5 years or so, Michael Maguire is a good example of what happens when you do exactly what you’d like Walters to do.

Like it or not, coaches have to stroke the many egos at the club these days, otherwise player power (whatever the **** that is) wins out and the coach is sacked.

Unfortunately this is very true.

My old man lives on the Northern Beaches of Sydney and is mates with a few of the ex-Manly players of the old days. Some of them played under Bennett throughout their career and are still mates with him.

One of them went to Souths training a couple of years back and saw one of the players (unsure which one) being lazy / slack / putting in no effort and Wayne went over and asked the player if he was ok and lightly suggested he may be able to go a little harder... The ex player laughed and said to Wayne something along the lines of 'jeez mate if that was me back in the day you would have ripped my head off, have you gone soft?!' and Wayne basically sighed and just said that it's a different world now, saying 'if I treated these kids how I used to treat you blokes then they couldn't handle it. They'd just quit'.

Even legendary coaches now walking on eggshells amongst these snowflake players and everyone has had to adapt because like Wayne said, it's all well and good to get stuck into them, but they'll just break contract and go to another team or quit and you'll be left with nothing.

Sad state of affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• achievedrap
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Swordfish
  • LittleDavey
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • johnny plath
  • Wolfie
  • Brotherdu
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Totally Unr3al
  • BroncoFan94
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • jd87
  • Skathen
  • broncos4life
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.