PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2022] - Broncos v Rabbitohs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Broncos Weekly got it right this week.

Ezra would still be playing cup for the next 2 seasons under the Storm system.

Gotta learn the right lessons from how badly we handled Dearden...

Same goes for "Andrew McCullough" whose name we shall not mention here....:secret:

They do develop very well really. They give these young guys tasters of NRL footy, but they learn their trade in the lower grades. We cave in and hand out huge contracts to them and throw them in before they are ready to keep them happy. I know i'll get shit for it, but Cobbo is going to be the new example of this and he doesnt deserve the contract he will probably get. Its something i've been vocal about in the past with others and i havent changed my opinion. These young guys need to prove they deserve a good contract, not get one based on hype.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
They do develop very well really. They give these young guys tasters of NRL footy, but they learn their trade in the lower grades. We cave in and hand out huge contracts to them and throw them in before they are ready to keep them happy. I know i'll get shit for it, but Cobbo is going to be the new example of this and he doesnt deserve the contract he will probably get. Its something i've been vocal about in the past with others and i havent changed my opinion. These young guys need to prove they deserve a good contract, not get one based on hype.

I don’t think many if any would disagree but they aren’t the same conditions.

Look at Voss et al talking up Mariner in the first televised trial, Broncs weren’t even playing. Fifita gets offered a million dollar plus contract, similar happened with Walsh, Coates, Haas right now despite being under contract. Meanwhile Storm re-signs Paps for a sandwich, all their next big things escape offers despite being a FAR better system. Where are all the offers for the Roosters’ gun kids they steal from elsewhere? It isn’t an even comparison because our kids get hyped up more than anyone else’s.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I don’t think many if any would disagree but they aren’t the same conditions.

Look at Voss et al talking up Mariner in the first televised trial, Broncs weren’t even playing. Fifita gets offered a million dollar plus contract, similar happened with Walsh, Coates, Haas right now despite being under contract. Meanwhile Storm re-signs Paps for a sandwich, all their next big things escape offers despite being a FAR better system. Where are all the offers for the Roosters’ gun kids they steal from elsewhere? It isn’t an even comparison because our kids get hyped up more than anyone else’s.
I dont think clubs tend to target Storm players because of the strength of their system tbh. Players go there knowing they are going to improve as footballers and they are not pushing their managers to find them better deals like they do here. They dont have the drive to get away from the place because its so successful. Success lets you pay players a bit less because the desire to leave is outweighed by being a winning club.

We need to be stronger and ignore the outside noise really. Its always been an issue that we attract attention because we are such a big club, been like it for decades really. I personally think the way we have gone about things has weakened us. The conditions you mentioned are there, but a strong club just gets on with it regardless and ignores them. I think we just have to accept now its going to take time to rebuild our system from the ground up to where we develop and keep our best. We are going to lose players in the short term, but we need to start playing the long game.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I just hope people who thought Cobbo was going to transition into a genuine game winning fullback can now see for themselves, that's not how it works in the NRL.

I have no doubt in time he will be a game winning fullback but it won't be anytime soon, he needs time to develop not only as a player but also as a person, he's 19 years old ffs. He needs to find a voice, that's the biggest thing I noticed. Probably not something that can be coached overnight, more to do with someone feeling comfortable within themselves to start telling older men what to do. It will come but he's not there yet.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I just hope people who thought Cobbo was going to transition into a genuine game winning fullback can now see for themselves, that's not how it works in the NRL.

I have no doubt in time he will be a game winning fullback but it won't be anytime soon, he needs time to develop not only as a player but also as a person, he's 19 years old ffs. He needs to find a voice, that's the biggest thing I noticed. Probably not something that can be coached overnight, more to do with someone feeling comfortable within themselves to start telling older men what to do. It will come but he's not there yet.
The Valentine Holmes try (1 minute in) is woeful fullbackery:

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It seems there are a few ‘Told you so’s’ in here about Cobbo when the reality is, I don’t know if many were calling for him to be PERMANENT fullback right now.

However, there are a lot, including me, saying given the dearth of fullbacks we have and given Niu is out for 2 weeks most likely, it is the perfect time to give him a learning opportunity and then when Niu is back, Cobbs goes back to centre/wing.

This is not a bad option when the alternatives are Mead or Isaako (unless we try another untried player in Herbie).

I don’t know whether Cobbs’ disappointing trials are down to Covid, injury or second year syndrome though and it’s second year potential that worries me out of those.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
It seems there are a few ‘Told you so’s’ in here about Cobbo when the reality is, I don’t know if many were calling for him to be PERMANENT fullback right now.

However, there are a lot, including me, saying given the dearth of fullbacks we have and given Niu is out for 2 weeks most likely, it is the perfect time to give him a learning opportunity and then when Niu is back, Cobbs goes back to centre/wing.

This is not a bad option when the alternatives are Mead or Isaako (unless we try another untried player in Herbie).

I don’t know whether Cobbs’ disappointing trials are down to Covid, injury or second year syndrome though and it’s second year potential that worries me out of those.

He cannot be picked again after some of those efforts at the back, let's be fair here, if it were Isaako we'd all be out with pitchforks.

The first try, having watched the replay, he's not even in the frame and I watched it a bit further back to see why he's not in the frame and it wasn't as though he got caught up in the defensive line making a tackle, he over committed to the left of screen and didn't even make an effort to get across to where the ball was (keeping in mind the Cows were retreating themselves to just get a kick away), it was just a lazy effort.

I don't expect him to make try savers every time we need him to but geez, some of his efforts just said to me that he'd rather not put his body on the line, I wish I could say it was fatigue but the first try was 20 minutes into the game, again, he was nowhere to be seen. I suspect upon video review Kevvie would've been sitting him down for a bit of a chat, it was just lack of effort.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I still think Cobbo is one of the most over-hyped players in recent memory. People think he is the next Inglis, when he is more likely to turn into the next Dane Nielson. Blokes got talent, but FMD some of the chat around him is nearing delusional.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I still think Cobbo is one of the most over-hyped players in recent memory. People think he is the next Inglis, when he is more likely to turn into the next Dane Nielson. Blokes got talent, but FMD some of the chat around him is nearing delusional.

I think he has immense potential but it takes hard work to get there, you don't just roll into the NRL at the age of 19 and slot into the spine and take control of the game.

I know we as a team are crying out for someone to do that but it can't be a 19 year old and it surely can't be because "why not".

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He looked like the next Milford in the last two matches. But latter day Milford.

Not his fault he's been over hyped, but he will need to lift his workrate.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Because the Broncos haven't produced a great outside back since Yow Yeh.

Sick of these junior highlights players who just end up like Beale/Copley/Hoffman

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

He looked unfit. Fullback takes a while to build up fitness for and Latrell struggled big time in his first season there until he got used to it. The concern though is Cobbo also looked completely gassed on the wing the game before too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • jd87
  • Skathen
  • Santa
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Strop
  • Mr Fourex
  • Footy Fanatic
  • kwomo
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Old Mate
  • Manofoneway
  • Shane Tronc
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.