PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2023] Panthers vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another note, especially for those of of you who get to watch Panthers play live this year, watch for this:

The work that their 1-5 put in on kick returns. You will see that the back 5 bring back 80+% of the ball coming out of their own half. The forwards pretty much won’t touch the ball until they’re in the opposition half. This isn’t “new” and other teams do it to an extent.. BUT..

Penrith do this right through from their lowest junior grades to the NRL. They do it consistently! That’s the difference. Leota, JFH etc are fresh when it matters and they can defend right up to the end, because their back 5 get through a mountain of work, consistently.
And this is why we need to have one reserve grade team to have all our players playing together so everyone's on the same page when they come into first grade.

Yep he filled in there a couple of times. Never take what the media says about league as truth.
I think one Pete Badel would disagree with you @Sproj. Nothing but solid & factual journalism from him 😂. Always on the money.

Oh lol. Well that’s stupid.

If anyone wants to watch Selwyn playing fullback v the panthers it’s on Kayo. Niu does his hammy with 6 minutes left of the first half and Selwyn plays the rest of the game at fullback to ah…mixed results.
I gotta eat crow a bit here. I just finished watching the game and Cobbo was actually pretty solid at fullback. A few positional issues here and there but overall quite strong.

Im now convinced he’s going to have the game of his career so far and will have some questioning if Walsh should just walk back in. Lessgo

Speaking of Cobbo, watch the Inglis things in this video:

Tell me you can't see Cobbo there. Selwyn has done something similar twice already just in the trials.

Speaking of Cobbo, watch the Inglis things in this video:

Tell me you can't see Cobbo there. Selwyn has done something similar twice already just in the trials.

**** that was a good watch, @Sproj !! There is more than a bit of Inglis in Cobbo, there's no denying it. I, like many others, have doubts about his temperament however...I hope he settles in for the long haul, though, because the kid could be anything.

I think Cobbo is a few years away from being a FB with his body stamina wise, be an elite centre first than transition, he is identical to Inglis and Latrell as a Natural left sided Centre that can play Fullback with that big and tall with long limbs indigenous body shape, perfect balance between being as huge as possible while also have tonnes of speed with the long arms to swat defenders away easily.

Given who’s available, I am ok with Kev’s list. Like most here, I would’ve gone in with Piakura instead of Palasia.
Most important thing I am looking forward to changing this season is – I want Kev to use Payne & Patty wisely instead of burning them out by playing longer minutes. They must come off by 30th minute.
By playing them longer minutes last season, Kev barely used the 17th man and our interchanges aren’t fully used. Palaisa was that 17th man unused mostly. Hope the football department picked on our interchange usage and put some thought process into it.

Once the ISC starts next week, we could mandate Piakura & Willison to punch out more minutes so they're NRL ready when we look to get them in after R5,R6 perhaps. Only concern is, their injuries and not potential.

I also would like to see Cobbo and Arthurs switching roles when defending. Switching of roles confuse the opposition often.

All in all, I am positive that we will witness a better footy from our team this season. Go you good thing!

Given who’s available, I am ok with Kev’s list. Like most here, I would’ve gone in with Piakura instead of Palasia.
Most important thing I am looking forward to changing this season is – I want Kev to use Payne & Patty wisely instead of burning them out by playing longer minutes. They must come off by 30th minute.
By playing them longer minutes last season, Kev barely used the 17th man last season, and our interchanges aren’t fully used. Palaisa was that 17th man unused mostly. Hope the football department picked on our interchange usage and put some thought process into it.

Once the ISC starts next week, we could mandate Piakura & Willison to punch out more minutes so that they're a NRL ready when we look to get them in after R5,R6 perhaps. Only concern is, their injuries and not potential.

I also would like to see Cobbo and Arthurs switching roles when defending. Switching of roles confuse the opposition often.

All in all, I am positive that we will witness a better footy from our team this season. Go you good thing!
Yeah, it seems to be a lack of faith in the forward rotation. I would want bench forwards to go in and do as good a job as the starters. Is that too much to ask?

Also, is Willison going to have to stop playing with all these concussions? It is pretty worrisome IMO. Has he lasted long at all on the pitch for us? I can't remember a stint longer than a few minutes .

Yeah, it is very unfortunate for him to not play longer minutes. The kid's got great potential but the head knocks are taking a toll on him at a very young age. Poor lad.

In addition to Piakura & Willison, I am eager to see how Shalom and B. Frei develop in ISC this year particularly, Shalom. Reckon he could cover both back row and lock easily.
As much as I want Logan Brow to demand a spot in starting 17, sadly I do not see it in him(yet). I hope he proves me wrong.

Shalom is an interesting one. I thought he looked pretty good in the trials. I would be looking to bring him through and challenge him to take a bench spot. Certainly over Palasia who is leaving.

Same thing with Piakura. Really make a concerted effort to bring the best out in him. We’ve thrown way too much cash at the kid for realistically, very little return. Let’s allow him to stand up and take it or get chewed up and end up at the marine mammals.

Same thing with Piakura. Really make a concerted effort to bring the best out in him. We’ve thrown way too much cash at the kid for realistically, very little return. Let’s allow him to stand up and take it or get chewed up and end up at the marine mammals.

I guess we’ve paid him about 900k in total for the last three years so if Piakura plays one game this is well, he will have received 300k per game and given both games so far have been extremely limited game time, like 20k a minute. Let’s hope he does something this season.

Yeah, it is very unfortunate for him to not play longer minutes. The kid's got great potential but the head knocks are taking a toll on him at a very young age. Poor lad.

In addition to Piakura & Willison, I am eager to see how Shalom and B. Frei develop in ISC this year particularly, Shalom. Reckon he could cover both back row and lock easily.
As much as I want Logan Brow to demand a spot in starting 17, sadly I do not see it in him(yet). I hope he proves me wrong.

Frei isn’t going to develop, he’s 27 and been at three NRL clubs- he’s safe and dependable if needed

Frei isn’t going to develop, he’s 27 and been at three NRL clubs- he’s safe and dependable if needed
Ohh, then I’ve mistaken him to someone else who’s in early 20’s. But yeah, if the need be, he should be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Sproj
  • DrGee
  • MrMoore
  • broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • Accept
  • lynx000
  • Broncojim
  • Dreaglor
  • Hurrijo
  • Russell Coight
  • Porthoz
  • Battler
  • Dash
  • Maroon4life
  • Scorchie
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.