PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2024] Roosters vs Broncos in Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I reckon he can do it. He has matured a fair bit even since the end of last season. I much prefer him defending inside oates who has a bucket load of experience, than running the 50cent/5 cent every high ball on the wing.

2021 Herbie was a shite defender in the centres. By 2023 he was our best! Give him more than 5 games and I think you will be surprised.

Lets face it, by round 1 your attention will be all on Billy Walters, shouting Paix or Mozer off the rooftops of Brisbane again anyway.
I've never advocated Paix, only rated him relative to Billy when they played back to back. If you'd have said Herbie was a shit defender in 2021, you'd have been howled down by his legion of fanboys.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I've never advocated Paix, only rated him relative to Billy when they played back to back. If you'd have said Herbie was a shit defender in 2021, you'd have been howled down by his legion of fanboys.
yes, you have a dartboard with Billys head on it. I don't get it though, the son of the most successful player in our clubs history. Part of the reason we have turned it all around, getting paid pittance (less than Paix) so that we can keep the likes of Ezra and Walsh.

Hard to not like the bloke, specifically with what he's achieved at hooker - a grand final in his second year (first full year) wearing the jersey. Even you can't say he isn't the clubs best #9.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
This idea of Sailor on the bench to me is so pointless. He is a defensive liability and would need to defend in the front line.
its a gamble isnt it. Although in Kevy we trust...

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Ezra says he'll be good to go in Round 1.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I was pretty happy with Jock on the weekend... his first game against Souths was rough with his defence looking really poor and then not really offering much in attack.

That got flipped on its head when he had to lead the team in Townsville against the cows... he had some nice plays in that one including some ball playing... we ended up running away with the game in what is an historically tough rivalry game.

In the trial on the weekend you could see cows constantly cheating up when we went to the edge... Reyno and Jock both went deep into the line, which is exactly what you want from the halves, but cows were triggering on the pass from them to rush up and shut down the move. It was looking like the cows reserves were able to handle some of our best attacking players. However after a while we adjusted and started to exploit them for it.

Both of Piakura's tries being an example of the adjustment with Reyno holding up his pass for Piakura in space, and Jock holding it up perfectly and going the short ball when the outside defence had rushed up too far.

It showed that Jock was reacting to the defence rather than going through the motions and looking predictable, which they were early in the game.

I would agree that I want to see more from his kicking... he gives off Bhunt during the Griffinball days vibes... with the 6th tackle drop punt to the corner.

It's the stock kick for 99% of teams, but the difference that Reynolds brings is landing his bombs inside the 10m and having the hangtime to let the chase get to him... I'm not sure I've seen that level of elite kicking from Jock, but if we're to remain a dominant team after Reynolds retires then it is a must have for the kicking game and winning the territory battle.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
This idea of Sailor on the bench to me is so pointless. He is a defensive liability and would need to defend in the front line.
It wouldn't be pointless, but it would put stress on our forwards by depriving them of an interchange.

The point would be to inject some energy late in the game. It would also allow us to replace Reyno or Walsh, who are invariably limping by the end of the game.

For example: if Kevvie is seriously thinking about gradually transitioning Ezra to half. He could maybe switch Reece to 6, Ezra to 7 and Tristan to 1. Or the permutation of his choice.

Note: it's Kevvie who's mulling this over in the press, not really the fans.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I was pretty happy with Jock on the weekend... his first game against Souths was rough with his defence looking really poor and then not really offering much in attack.

That got flipped on its head when he had to lead the team in Townsville against the cows... he had some nice plays in that one including some ball playing... we ended up running away with the game in what is an historically tough rivalry game.

In the trial on the weekend you could see cows constantly cheating up when we went to the edge... Reyno and Jock both went deep into the line, which is exactly what you want from the halves, but cows were triggering on the pass from them to rush up and shut down the move. It was looking like the cows reserves were able to handle some of our best attacking players. However after a while we adjusted and started to exploit them for it.

Both of Piakura's tries being an example of the adjustment with Reyno holding up his pass for Piakura in space, and Jock holding it up perfectly and going the short ball when the outside defence had rushed up too far.

It showed that Jock was reacting to the defence rather than going through the motions and looking predictable, which they were early in the game.

I would agree that I want to see more from his kicking... he gives off Bhunt during the Griffinball days vibes... with the 6th tackle drop punt to the corner.

It's the stock kick for 99% of teams, but the difference that Reynolds brings is landing his bombs inside the 10m and having the hangtime to let the chase get to him... I'm not sure I've seen that level of elite kicking from Jock, but if we're to remain a dominant team after Reynolds retires then it is a must have for the kicking game and winning the territory battle.
He was fine yesterday. Defensively okay. He does read the opposition well, and put players through gaps. Maybe as well as Reynolds, I wouldn't like to say. But it's a pass-mark in his position.

He suffers more in comparison. He doesn't have the wow factor of Walsh, Mam and Sailor. His kicking game is inferior to Walsh, Reynolds and Sailor. Mam's isn't great either. But those four are all freakishly talented. Jock is solid. No one outside this forum is talking about him today.

mrtij

mrtij

NYC Player
Sep 14, 2021
I really hope we get to see Ezra with dreads in Vegas, I think it could take him to the next level.
EZRA MAM EXTENDS ✍️ Bronco #280 - YouTube

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
He was fine yesterday. Defensively okay. He does read the opposition well, and put players through gaps. Maybe as well as Reynolds, I wouldn't like to say. But it's a pass-mark in his position.

He suffers more in comparison. He doesn't have the wow factor of Walsh, Mam and Sailor. His kicking game is inferior to Walsh, Reynolds and Sailor. Mam's isn't great either. But those four are all freakishly talented. Jock is solid. No one outside this forum is talking about him today.

This is good. When we have so much money tied up in forwards plus 2x million-dollar players already in the spine, the others must be solid players on not too much coin, or there won't be enough left under the cap to put good players around them. This is why Billy fits the bill brilliantly - and Jock is also perfectly fine. We can't have superstars across the park. You could argue we already have too many and it's causing us salary cap concerns. DD and co have a tightrope to walk for sure.

I think Jock is the man while Black comes through, personally. And when young Cody becomes ready, he will unseat Jock if he's better.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
It wouldn't be pointless, but it would put stress on our forwards by depriving them of an interchange.

The point would be to inject some energy late in the game. It would also allow us to replace Reyno or Walsh, who are invariably limping by the end of the game.

For example: if Kevvie is seriously thinking about gradually transitioning Ezra to half. He could maybe switch Reece to 6, Ezra to 7 and Tristan to 1. Or the permutation of his choice.

Note: it's Kevvie who's mulling this over in the press, not really the fans.
It would be pointless. Who in ***** name is changing 3/4 of your spine for less spark than the blokes already on the field. The only place you can play Tristan is 1. Why are we playing tactically inept to include this dude. He isn’t that special of a player. Being good enough to start at most NRL clubs and dominating q-cup quality (the substantially lesser of the two reserve grade comps) doesn’t make you good enough to leave us so fucking vulnerable. He has showed he is only defensively capable at fullback. NO FUCKING POINT playing him on the bench if that’s the case. If it came down to playing him at 14 or cut him loose I’d cut him loose. Thats how against this theory I am. I hate it with every bone in my body. I’d do a week in prison before we run that. Like seriously how can you possibly think it’s a good idea. He fucking reaks at defence and can barely play 6 and can play fullback. Doesn’t really help us at any given point.

P.s. sorry @Sproj

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022

The defence all thought it was going to walsh, who's mere presence in an attacking structure, frightens the life out of teams. Was a good moment from Madden, saw him do the same for Carrigan last year and put him through a hole. One of his weapons thats for sure.

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
I know Cobbs has a lot to work on defensively but man how good was it to see a centre passing! He just has Inglis written all over him and I was thinking, this is what it would have been like if the Broncs didn't screw up the actual GI signing all those years ago.
and running short of Walsh. And contesting kicks (and catching...Coates anyone)

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It would be pointless. Who in ***** name
Who? Like I said, that would be the coach, Kevin Walters:

“Tristan put the icing on the cake. I think that utility role from the bench could be an option. We have spoken about that with Tristan and ways we can use him at the next level because as you saw, he was the difference between the two teams. Tristan covers a lot of positions … he did himself plenty of favours with that display.”​
"He covers so many positions and we want to give him opportunities. Even if Reece is playing fullback ... if Tristan keeps developing like this, he will force himself into the side somewhere.”​
As for changing the spine, that would also be Kevin Walters, along with Adam Reynolds and Ezra Mam.

But in this case, not just with an eye to the future, but we have two fragile players in Walsh and Reynolds who are prone to injury.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
He played hooker in Norths' Colts, and then five-eighth in 2019 when he moved up to seniors. Since then lock and bench.

That`s what I thought .
Played hooker as a kid not in seniors ?
its a gamble isnt it. Although in Kevy we trust...

I was querying could he play in the front line on the edge or as a lock last week .
He was weak in that one tackle yesterday .But halves getting isolated by edge forwards is nothing new. Didn`t look good though . Not the end of him . He has been in NRL systems for several years I doubt he would have made it at all if he couldn`t tackle for shit . Hopefully that was an anomaly and he can be trusted if required .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Yeah I didn't so good point, but even in games last year his kicking game felt a bit lacking. Probably just used to having an elite kicker in Reyno has made me more judgemental

Kicking can be improved with practice .
I remember Milf did some extra curricular with the Brisbane Lions .
Reynolds has had a few more years of practice . But who better for the up and comers to learn the finer details from .

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Broncos Head Of Performance Dave Ballard:
"The scans show Brendan Piakura has picked up a low-grade strain to his MCL. We'll see how he pulls up over the next 24 hours before mapping out a rehab program over the coming days. Brendan remains a chance to play Round 1 but there is a full season ahead of us, so we will see how it settles before making a final decision.”​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • Manofoneway
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Lostboy
  • Notorious
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Culhwch
  • The Boss
  • Jedhead
  • winslow_wong
  • Tim K
  • FACTHUNT
  • Skathen
  • Aldo
  • RolledOates
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.