PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2024] Roosters vs Broncos in Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Yeah I didn't so good point, but even in games last year his kicking game felt a bit lacking. Probably just used to having an elite kicker in Reyno has made me more judgemental
Yeah I agree last year he lacked a lot in a lot of areas. Yesterday looked like he has improved a little bit in a lot of areas though. Looked a lot more silky and fluent I thought, defended a lot better than he did at times last year and I thought his kicking was slightly improved. He has 2 years to figure it out. I think in 2 years time he very well could be the perfect option.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Yeah I agree last year he lacked a lot in a lot of areas. Yesterday looked like he has improved a little bit in a lot of areas though. Looked a lot more silky and fluent I thought, defended a lot better than he did at times last year and I thought his kicking was slightly improved. He has 2 years to figure it out. I think in 2 years time he very well could be the perfect option.
Yeah, He is such a small, I wish he hit them like Ezra does. I think Madden will spend some time in the #7 jumper but I think the future of our club at HB will be Coby Black. Just have a slight feeling he will be a decent option in a few years.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I think I might have seen some kicking footage from pre-game that got me a bit more excited. More so meant it seems he has improved that aspect rather than it being excellent.

Mariner was considered almost a lock to play this year at the start of the pre-season. Come trials time he had almost an impossible task to win the jersey and come the end of trials he is nearly unlickable for rd 1. He clearly hasn’t performed very well on the training paddock or the trials to be in his position. When Kev fronted the press over Selwyns move the lack of confidence and energy for what he was doing that pre-season seemed pretty obvious. Didn’t seem certain around his role or his ability at that stage. I think in this full strength side he would kill it but he had a shocker last week he just can’t come back from for rd 1 with yesterdays performance. None of the wingers have really put there hand up at all these trials which is a bit disappointing. I’d go as far to say Mariner yesterday was probably our best wing performer and all his good work was at centre.
I haven't seen what Kev's been seeing at training but I'd still be inclined to start Mariner on the wing over Jesse. I don't say that with a lot of confidence, though. More that I WANT him to succeed.

Did you notice Jordan Pereira yesterday? He did a few things right.

Sailor is the shittest tackler I think I have ever seen at this level. He has no chance of playing that role and I will riot if he does. He defended horridly at 6. All his work that has got him to a point where he could play 14 has been from fullback we don’t need a fullback on the bench. He just cannot defend in the front line.
I don't have to think back far to think of worse. Let's rank our fullbacks (defence only) since Wayne left.

1. Walsh
2. Martin
3. Farnworth
4. Sailor
5. Cobbo
6. Isaako
7. Niu
8. Milford
9. Boyd <--- lest we forget

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I think we will be fine, when you consider Walsh has a good long and short kicking game (not consistent yet though), mam seems to have a good short kicking game, madden is OKish at both and Walters can chip in a couple mid range kicks as well that are decent.

We will never have as good a kicking game as Reynolds provides but the above is better then 75% of the comp when you consider the options. Thet will improve as well. Reynolds is probably the best, or among the best, kickers of the entire nrl era ffs. We aren't replacing that easily...

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
I haven't seen what Kev's been seeing at training but I'd still be inclined to start Mariner on the wing over Jesse. I don't say that with a lot of confidence, though. More that I WANT him to succeed.

I don't have to think back far to think of worse. Let's rank our fullbacks (defence only) since Wayne left.

1. Walsh
2. Martin
3. Farnworth
4. Sailor
5. Cobbo
6. Isaako
7. Niu
8. Milford

I would still have boyd above Isaako and Niu 😆

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I would still have boyd above Isaako and Niu 😆
I risk being permabanned to remind you of the poster child of the lowest ebb in the Broncos history;

D0810ec4f982bd2312790f62e1a70f81

Screena1cqmphbl9731

55bf733402abf6b0e653fae9f5268ff3

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022

1. Walsh
2. Martin
3. Farnworth
4. Sailor
5. Cobbo
6. Isaako
7. Niu
8. Milford
Cobbo above farnworth. Did farnworth ever even play a game at FB? Sailor has to be 3 or even above Martin based on his winrate at FB.the bottom 4 can duke it out. I would say Boyd is better than Niu and Isaako even in his form drop.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I know Cobbs has a lot to work on defensively but man how good was it to see a centre passing! He just has Inglis written all over him and I was thinking, this is what it would have been like if the Broncs didn't screw up the actual GI signing all those years ago.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018

1. Walsh
2. Martin
3. Farnworth
4. Sailor
5. Cobbo
6. Isaako
7. Niu
8. Milford
But Sailor isn’t playing fullback if he plays 14. What position do you think he is playing? Defensively at fullback system wise he is fine. When he was in the line tackling at 6 it was embarrassingly weak. He was fucking scared. He is just not an option. He made enough crucial errors in defence against 2 reserve grade sides across the trials so far that you just can’t risk it.

He is good enough to play fullback without a doubt no question. He is not good enough in crucial, fundamental defensive areas to play anywhere else though.

Also I thought Pereira was pretty good yesterday but realistically he isn’t in the running to start.

I think if I could pick one winger combo for the entire year it would be Arthars on the left and Mariner on the right. Thats where my head and heart are even though I love Oatesy. I think Arthars would be so much better on the left (even though he is traditionally right sided) and Mariner on the right. By round 5 they would be clicking on all cylinders I reckon let alone finals time. Sadly I don’t think the pre-seasons have been had to get this which is a shame but you have to earn it and it seems he might not have done enough and Oatesy has to end up in the side.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I know Cobbs has a lot to work on defensively but man how good was it to see a centre passing! He just has Inglis written all over him and I was thinking, this is what it would have been like if the Broncs didn't screw up the actual GI signing all those years ago.
I honestly can't tell whether come round 5 we'll all be gushing over Selwyn or demanding he go back to the wing. Just when you think he's the laziest footballer you've ever seen he flicks that switch and magic happens. You have to be on all the time in the centres. We've only ever seen these flashy cameos from him.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I honestly can't tell whether come round 5 we'll all be gushing over Selwyn or demanding he go back to the wing. Just when you think he's the laziest footballer you've ever seen he flicks that switch and magic happens. You have to be on all the time in the centres. We've only ever seen these flashy cameos from him.
I reckon he can do it. He has matured a fair bit even since the end of last season. I much prefer him defending inside oates who has a bucket load of experience, than running the 50cent/5 cent every high ball on the wing.

2021 Herbie was a shite defender in the centres. By 2023 he was our best! Give him more than 5 games and I think you will be surprised.

Lets face it, by round 1 your attention will be all on Billy Walters, shouting Paix or Mozer off the rooftops of Brisbane again anyway.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Hetho has played hooker a few times from the bench. Not that he is a hooker but if you want Sailor to play 14 his chances of attaining that are a lot more likely with Kobe there who can cover middle and hooker.

It must have been a long time ago as I can`t remember him playing hooker ?

I can remember similar talk to what you are saying and it being shot down as he hadn`t played hooker in years ??

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

I thought his defence was better .
He challenged the line before he passed and threw a few real nice passes . He is still waay ahead of the 17 year old every one wanted promoted last week . lol .

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018

I can remember similar talk to what you are saying and it being shot down as he hadn`t played hooker in years ??

His specific role wasn’t hooker coming into the games I don’t think. He just found himself there pretty sure. I can’t remember when this was it was 22’ maybe.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I think we will be fine, when you consider Walsh has a good long and short kicking game (not consistent yet though), mam seems to have a good short kicking game, madden is OKish at both and Walters can chip in a couple mid range kicks as well that are decent.

Smoothy is also a useful kicker he got it wrong by a few centimetres yesterday .
But I could see he is a potential weapon from dummy half as a kicker .

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Boyd's gender reveal after getting absolutely belted by the Cows was the lowest point in the club's history.

Surely you shelve that idea given how badly we were beaten and the way it would have looked, the fact he went ahead just shows how little of a shit he gave about the jersey at that point in time.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Boyd's gender reveal after getting absolutely belted by the Cows was the lowest point in the club's history.

Surely you shelve that idea given how badly we were beaten and the way it would have looked, the fact he went ahead just shows how little of a shit he gave about the jersey at that point in time.
Didn't help the club had just been consigned to its first ever wooden spoon either. It was very poor choice by our captain.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

He played hooker in Norths' Colts, and then five-eighth in 2019 when he moved up to seniors. Since then lock and bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Morkel
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • I bleed Maroon
  • marw
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.