Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you just listed all the reasons why we might be getting pumped
That's why we need a specific game plan that nullifies their strengths. Remember seasons 16-18, when facing the top 4 and we being massive underdogs. The old coach would rally Thaiday or Hodges and they'd be stuck into the oppositions' enforcer/hitman all night, putting him off with errors and penalties and we'd somehow come away with the win.
We gotta be trying something like that at least.

That's why we need a specific game plan that nullifies their strengths. Remember seasons 16-18, when facing the top 4 and we being massive underdogs. The old coach would rally Thaiday or Hodges and they'd be stuck into the oppositions' enforcer/hitman all night, putting him off with errors and penalties and we'd somehow come away with the win.
We gotta be trying something like that at least.

I don’t know if we have anyone with that kind of mongrel though. Tpj would probably get suspended

I don’t know if we have anyone with that kind of mongrel though. Tpj would probably get suspended
That's why we probably need to trade out the prancy pretty boy types and scout the experienced off-the-back fence types who hit as hard as they run.

I am optimistic the Broncs can get a win here!

This year with a year of experience and another off-season to prepare, there's going to be a huge gap in the comp between teams who have adapted to the 6 again rule and those who haven't. It's not going to come down to heart or determination or footy skill, it's just going to come down to who can take advantage of, and work with the new 'touch footy' rules the best.

I fear we're on the wrong side of that ledger after watching the cowboys control the ruck and roll us up the middle. Even when we were ahead and playing well in the first half, we were still getting slaughtered around the ruck. It's been a problem for years and its more important than ever to fix it up.

Hard to see us putting Parra away in this game, but will be glad just to have footy back and get behind the boys and give Kev every chance.

This year with a year of experience and another off-season to prepare, there's going to be a huge gap in the comp between teams who have adapted to the 6 again rule and those who haven't. It's not going to come down to heart or determination or footy skill, it's just going to come down to who can take advantage of, and work with the new 'touch footy' rules the best.

I fear we're on the wrong side of that ledger after watching the cowboys control the ruck and roll us up the middle. Even when we were ahead and playing well in the first half, we were still getting slaughtered around the ruck. It's been a problem for years and its more important than ever to fix it up.

Hard to see us putting Parra away in this game, but will be glad just to have footy back and get behind the boys and give Kev every chance.
Keeping the optimistic coloured glasses on, that seems like a fair view of what happened in the 2nd half. Hopefully Kev can adapt quickly, tough that a rule change like 6 again can make a signing like Matt Lodge, which was probably reasonable enough at the time, a potential liability. Makes it even more important to be frugal with the contract lengths and especially the player options.

Oh God NRL is back. I'm actually scared....

Please be a better year!

Injury updates: Arthars and Flegler are good to go.

HScreenshot 2021 03 01 Casualty Ward Grant to miss five weeks Broncos duo fine

Can't wait for the game. Last year sucked and by the end of it i had become numb to the results so really excited to see the differences in the team and attitude this year now that the Seibold/White stench is starting to wear off.

Since following the team since round 1 1988 there is a different feeling having such low expectations to start a season with, it's almost refreshing. I feel a win is going to carry so much more weight than pretty much any other season and really looking forward to seeing which players will embrace the challenge the club has and grow with it vs. those that will take the easy way out either looking to pastures greener or dialing in on the safety of their fat contracts.

I personally can't see anything other than a parra win this game but doesn't mean some joy won't be found on the individual player performances for the Broncos.

One thing I still can’t understand is how we just seem to have no time. Unless we have them backpedaling and Turps is running/able to run, no matter who we play and where, the second our forward gets the ball he has defenders in his face. I cannot see how teams are always onside maintaining that line speed

I don’t want to jump back on my refs fault stance from my last post in the trial thread, but let’s say it’s something I’ve noticed

It is partly the refs but it is more partly us. The refs aren't calling offsides because 1. they are useless and 2. they have not time either with the frantic pace of the game, so take advantage of it. And for goodness sake, if the ref calls six again, take advantage of it and stay on the player for another 30 seconds, don't just jump off as we always do.

The infringement has been given (usually wrongly), so what do you have to lose? Even a penalty gives us time to catch our breath and re-set the defensive line and goodness me we need it! I hate that you have to bend / break the rules but this is where the NRL is at and the best teams are the best because they simply take advantage of doing the wrong thing.

Anyway, I massively digressed there, the other reason we have no time is because once the going gets tough, our boys stand still. Our line speed is non-existent, in fact our line is often retreating so no wonder other sides just stroll down field. Rush up in defense or jog up or even walk up, I don't care just move forward!

Last edited:
That is good news about Arthars, he actually has looked competent every time he has played centre for us in trials so I say put him in there! Goodness me, we cannot get enough of just competent these days!

I think Kevvie will go:

1. Isaako (yuck but what can you do)
2. Farnworth
3. Arthars
4. Niu
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Pangai Jr
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (c)
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Croft
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. Oates/Teo

I don't really so what else he can do unless he wants to reward Bullemor for his seeming improvement over the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • broncs30
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • broncos4life
  • Hoof Hearted
  • BroncosAlways
  • Skathen
  • Painin the Haas
  • Alec
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • jd87
  • Brocko
  • theshed
  • mrslong
  • Johnny92
... and 56 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.