PRE-GAME Round 1 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

I'll be stunned if Oates isn't named. Dodds is a waste of space.

Oates hasn't had a decent hit out yet
I reckon he will start in the QLD cup. Bennett will want another prop in the rotation and he has already said the club views Oates as a winger this year

Then prepare to be stunned...

Dodds was showing some good signs at the end of 2013 before he did his ACL. We also need to remember that he has barely played any footy for 18 months

why do people dislike dodds so much? he was fine in the WCC. struggled for metres but defended really well. he made 20 tackles in his short time on the field. lets not forget it was his first game in a long time.

I'd rather Dodds on the bench than Oates tbh, especially if Gillett & Nikorima are on there as well, we need some size and defence off the bench.

+Bennett said Oates was a winger this year

why do people dislike dodds so much? he was fine in the WCC. struggled for metres but defended really well. he made 20 tackles in his short time on the field. lets not forget it was his first game in a long time.

Do not fear, I am a fan of Doddage. Nick Kenny 2.0, in the best way possible.

I'd rather Dodds on the bench than Oates tbh, especially if Gillett & Nikorima are on there as well

absolutely agree. two bench props is a must imo. dont want thaiday going near the prop rotation again (bennett basically confirmed that wont be happening anyway). if/when parker has a rest dodds will hold the middle defence together well.

Gavet is somewhat known for his aggression, but Dodds is relatively unknown to other teams. And I'll say that he's one of the few players we have that really hurts in defence. In that 30 - 50 minute period, where the small guys are trying to bust us through the middle, if they cop a hit from either of those two they're going to regret it and think twice next time.

I tend to agree. Dodds is by far the hardest hitter in our team and you want someone in the middle that guys run away from. Gavet is an agressive runner but his defence in the Wigan game did not look as agressive.

I notice there is a bit of love for Garbutt on here. Is he that good? I must admit i have not seen too much of his play

I tend to agree. Dodds is by far the hardest hitter in our team and you want someone in the middle that guys run away from. Gavet is an agressive runner but his defence in the Wigan game did not look as agressive.

I notice there is a bit of love for Garbutt on here. Is he that good? I must admit i have not seen too much of his play

Gavet was walking into his hitups. I was really disappointed. He looked lazy and slow.

Gavet was walking into his hitups. I was really disappointed. He looked lazy and slow.

yeah it wasnt all that great. though i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was just an off day for him with all the travel and what not. lets see how he goes on a dry track in home conditions. hoping he has a big one on thursday

Last edited:

Basing my opinion largely on what I've seen from him for Easts in Q Cup. Big motor, hard runner, deceptively quick and with a decent offload. Not a game breaker, but I do think he offers more than Dodds (or Gavet).

Admittedly, I do struggle to recall much of Dodds prior form, but that says to me it was largely forgettable. Guess we'll see, as I expect him to be named given he's featured more prominently in pre season fixtures.

I am a fan of Dodds but admittedly he may end up to be nothing more than a bench forward. I would love to see him get an extended run injury free

Garbutt and Dodds seem like very similar players tbh, although I've seen little of both of them. Dodds is a better defender but Garbutt is a better off-loader, dunno, it's a toss of the coin for mine.

Garbutt and Dodds seem like very similar players tbh, although I've seen little of both of them. Dodds is a better defender but Garbutt is a better off-loader, dunno, it's a toss of the coin for mine.

Haven't seen a lot of Dodds, but I would love Garbutt off the bench, he would add a lot.

Both are a bit unknown. Whoever can just not leak tackles for 10 minutes while McGuire/Blair have a breather is my preference.

Garbutt seems to me to have better skills. Dodds is just a hitter. Not much of a hit-up runner. Neither of them have a scratch on what J O'fa will become with time when he hits his peak. Would love to see if he's got the steel to take it to the Rabbitohs forward pack. He'd be a lock for the 17 jersey for the rest of the year if he did.

Maybe blooding him for 15 minutes serves a better purposes than a workmanlike 15 from Dodds or Garbutt. Who knows what WB will do.

What happened to Wallace btw? He's better than Dodds.

My preference for the 17 would be:

17. J' Ofa / Garbutt / Wallace / Dodds / Oates / Whitchurch

i really just want to know if niko is going to get a shot.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • RolledOates
  • Organix
  • Dash
  • Waynesaurus
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • Justwin
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • Allo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Big Del
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Shane Tronc
  • BruiserMk1
  • Wolfie
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.