PRE-GAME Round 1 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

Short memory, Unbreakable. Oates was blitzing it on the wing

My memory is fine, thanks for your concern.

Oates was a good winger 24 months ago, since then he's had 2 major re-constructive surgeries, put on ~10kg and played nothing but back row.

I think it's a bit of a pipe dream that he'll magically appear on the wing this season and be just as quick and evasive as he was 2 years ago.

Oates was a good winger 24 months ago, since then he's had 2 major re-constructive surgeries, put on ~10kg and played nothing but back row.

I think it's a bit of a pipe dream that he'll magically appear on the wing this season and be just as quick and evasive as he was 2 years ago.
He will still probably weigh less than Vidot and score more tries

With Griffen as coach he played more nothing than back row

Did I just get quoted 3 times in a row by the same person

Even though I've always considered Vidot a stop-gap option, I don't think his wing play was as bad (5 times worse than rookie Oates?) as being made out and his ability to do the hard yards was the best in the competition of any winger.

I like that we have options out-wide and hope the best player gets the spot.

Even though I've always considered Vidot a stop-gap option, I don't think his wing play was as bad (5 times worse than rookie Oates?) as being made out and his ability to do the hard yards was the best in the competition of any winger.

Pretty much hey, his metres out of our end were invaluable in most games, constantly clocking up 150+ metres.

If he could learn to catch and finish tries and maybe gain a yard of pace he'd be an elite winger.

Your confusing his wing play with his helping the forwards play. On the wing his play is non existent but when he gets to the centre of the ground he makes metres.
I would certainly trade him for a real winger

No I'm not, that's why I used an 'and' to separate the two.

I do believe that skill is being undervalued though and being able to make ground out of your own end is an important facet in the modern game.

But his wing play really wasn't that bad to the point where it was non-existant. He was able to finish off the odd effort on a side that had trouble giving him the ball and has shown that he can be a weapon in the air.

We will have to agree to disagree BP.
I would sooner have many of the wingers in the NRL that don't make as many tough metres as Vidot but they know how to score tries from impossible situations.
At this stage I am not seeing any in our squad

I would sooner have many of the wingers in the NRL that don't make as many tough metres as Vidot but they know how to score tries from impossible situations.

I certainly wouldn't put Oates in that category

Vidot on the wing = another forward in the team

Which is what we need against the rabbitohs pack

Yeah, it would be great to have a BMorris or a Nofoaluma, but we don't.

Vidot is the most valuable one we have now that Hoffman is gone and Boyd isnt going to play there IMO. None of them are very effective finishers, but Vidot's work starting sets is a pretty great substitute skill.

Who wouldn't lol.. Pete just said before that he always viewed Vidot as a stop-gap until we find an elite winger or develop one, I share the same view, nobody on here is calling him a great winger, but in terms of what he offers, it's close to the best we've got.

Well he is more effective than Maranta has been. IMO stop gap is a few matches not multiple seasons but I guess we needed to fix the forward pack first so that we don't need him

Vidot was pretty good at finishing at the Raiders. Of course he's gained a bit of muscles mass, which as a result means he's lost a bit of pace, which has therefore had an effect on his finishing ability. To be fair though, he had limited chances last season.

I'm looking forward to Vidot on the right as it enables him to use his fend, which may give him that extra advantage when attempting to score a try. On the left, he has no other option than to just tuck it under his arm and try to barge over the line. The fend may just give him that extra room between himself and his opposition defender which could mean he can finish off a backline movement more easily.

Active Now

• The True King
  • Shane Tronc
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • eggstar10
  • Harry Sack
  • teampjta
  • theshed
  • Totally Unr3al
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.