Round 1 - Broncos Vs Sea Eagles - Post Game Thread

And he demonstrated it. It just wasn't what the Broncos needed at the time.

That he can pass the ball? Any 3 year old can pass the ball but to ball play is a different story. What a joke of a selection

Wasn't on total display last night but his performances in the past have shown that he has more ball skills than the average forward. I was skeptical about the selection too but I'm willing to give him more of a chance and give our other guys an opportunity to stake their claims in reserve grade.

Timu was said to have a good game, but unfortunately it looks like Molo had a shocker with his hands. Hopefully both can build on their performances and put pressure on Griffin.

I don't know if you answered my earlier question, thoughts on J. Wallace?

So perhaps one of you should decide enough is enough and stop responding to one another.

His ball playing is like any other average forward. Passing it standing still not drawing in any defenders. He doesn't have the skill of a Eastwood who can attract 2 or 3 defenders and ball play before the line. If Stagg is only on the bench for his "ball playing" then he must be good at it which he's not.
He's a waste of a bench spot

Last edited:
Fair points Big Dave, I believe he offers more than what you're saying. I rate his ball skills higher than you do, defensively he's probably one of the best at the club and his mobility at the ruck shouldn't be ignored either but clearly you don't rate experience or what he offers. I'm willing to give him another chance as I don't think he was that big a problem but he definitely needs to lift.

Now, you keep ignoring this question. What do you make of J. Wallace?

I think I was wrong about Stagg coming off the bench. I'm willing to give him more time, but he seems like he's going to be either a starter or nothing.

I rate him. Go on LU, I posted a couple times last season that Knights should at looking at Wallace when Ma'afu from the Jets flew down to train with the Knights. He's a big strong boy no frills player just what the Knights needed at the time.

Right, that was a pathetic display of football from the Broncos IMO. Nothing has changed from last year, it's the same predictable shit, there was not an ounce of thought put into the plays, and this bullshit bash them up the middle crap that has failed for the last 3 years, has failed us, yet again.

The ONLY thing that made us look good, was Manly giving away penalties.

It's fucking pathetic that the issues of last year have not been fixed. This falls on Hook. Did he just not do ANYTHING during the off season?

Useless.

Totally agree Nashy, we gained 2 veterans who r way past their prime and lost Ben Teo, who was our best player in the second half of last season(not to mention Gerry Beale). I have been saying for awhile now that the Broncos will never get close to a title under this dude. He is clueless with his interchange bench, he doesn't rate his second tier players and is too afraid to make significant changes. This year will be a very dark season for this club which will force a major reshuffle and who knows, maybe they can get back on track next year. This year is a write off though, well and truly.

The problem is Prince can't defend so Hodges is consistently left outnumbered. I thought Thaiday went ok, we don't have much choice but to play him in the front row, especially after Hannants sluggish performance. Gillett played quite well too I thought.
The forwards all looked tired and a little out of shape.
What did they do in the pre-season? I hope we can overcome this sluggish start.

Everyone knows I think Corey Norman is about as useful as tits on a bull. But I thought he was good last night. He was there for all the kicks, was safe under the high balls he had to deal with, and while he wasn't flashy, he chimed into the attack OK when needed.

Nothing spectacular .......but yeah I thought he went OK as well. Defensively under the high ball he was safe .....some of the tries against us, none were a result of a Norman lapse.

Could've done better for sure, but he's not alone there.

A bit more confidence ......bit more involvement in attack....

My biggest worry with him at fullback was defensive issues. None outstanding so far.......

Our only defensive issue seemingly is the line speed. They weren't shifting to the right side. I don't know who particularly was at fault for that but I would GUESS prince. In attack our whole neckline and halves worked well except for reed. He was the only one to have a negative effect. At least temporarily Hoffman, Kemp and kahu need to be looked at (I don't really rate Berryman). The other large issue was the sheer impotence of our forwards. They couldn't gain metres. If these things are fixed we will be definite in the 8and possible 4. To make the grand final much more deeply rooted problems will be fixed. the the plays and shallow standing of the line.

I agree.

Prince was caught jamming in and left his outside men outnumbered.

I'd like to think the second half last night was just a fact that a lot of the players were blowing off cobwebs, because it looked like a lot of them didn't really know their role to play in the side.

We also looked absolutely out on our feet at about the 50 minute mark .... WTF !!

This. Poor Prince has inherited our style of play from the last year. It's not Prince, it's our style of play. We don't know how.

Positioning as others have said was appalling.

As corehyh88 so correctly observed:

"Half the issue is their positioning before receiving the ball though. For most hitups the dummyhalf was passing to a guy with on 2 metres of the markers which killed a lot of our go forward. We still stand far too shallow. When the ball was shifted wide most times it was so slow due to the shallowness(players had to stop running and slow down to stay behind the ball carrier.) no one was passing the ball quickly enough."

The forwards - not the Wild Bunch, the Shallow Flabby Bunch. Our forwards played like a pack of marshmallows.

Macca continues to be the slowest ball playing hooker in living memory. Adding to what someone else observed, Macca should be locked in a room and forced to watch Cam Smith videos for 5 days straight.

Thaiday. As so many have said over the years, and was again proven last night : THAIDAY IS NOT A FUC*ING prop

Parker to prop to start with McGuire.

Kemp straight in for Hoffman, Hoffman to centre, Reed to the gym

Wallace is Wallace and will always be Wallace. Last year, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Nope. He lacks speed, spark, creativity. I have no idea why he is in the team.

I am seriously as pissed off as anyone else about the 2nd half display, and I think Hook has some introspection to do about what he wants from this football team, and what his methods have achieved so far, but some of the reactions in this thread are just plain ridiculous!

It is overwhelmingly clear that we lack speed and have too much bulk, and while that may work in Qcup, it's not good enough in the NRL, where the athletes for the most part are extremely fit and can fight bulk with strength, agility and the speed we lack. Our so vaunted pack got rolled by theirs, and it was understrength!
Also, the bench usage is absolutely ridiculous. Hannant played 39 mins, Stagg 17, Dodds 16 and Hunt 12.

For those who are throwing all the toys out of the cot, it's the first round ffs! We were playing one of the best teams in the NRL, and one that can put tries on you quickly when they smell blood. They obviously took advantage of 2 new faces in our right side defence to wreak havoc. I think Prince, Hodges and Maranta will need a few more games to get it right, and what has been our nemesis of late, wasn't the best team to play against in a first round after we made so many changes to the team.

Now for the individuals...

- Norman - Took the wrong option with the second Matai try, because Jorge Taufua was "covered" by Maranta, and could've done a bit more on the DCE try as well, but was nowhere near as bad as people are trying to imply. He offers more in the position than Hoffman, was good in the air and in attack. While he may not be the best runner or the ball, he chimed in well, and was always around in support play. He was there to quickly play the ball in what resulted in that awesome try.

- Maranta - Too deep sometimes, which cost us at least one try, but he will improve.

- Hodges - Awesome in attack, at his very best, but caught between a rock and a hard place in defence between Prince and Maranta. Worked his butt off.

- Reed - Defensively okay, but too slow and offers absolutely nothing in attack. Would drop him to the bench as a 2nd row relief.

- Hoffman - Very good at everything he did. I would move him to centre and put Berryman or Kemp next to him.

- Prince - Showed a little bit of what he can bring to the team. Although you can see he improved his defence, he needs protection and more games between Hodges and Thaiday*. I have faith in this trio though!

- Wallace - Was the dominant halve, didn't do anything flashy and his kicking game was excellent. That kick deserved a so much better chase! Anyone trying to put any blame on him is only trying to drive their own agenda, there wasn't much he could've done more behind a beaten pack.

- McGuire - The only prop who was able to dent the Manly line, but wasn't as dominant as usual.

- Macca - His usual slow self, and I fully support the Cam Smith video session, as well as 80 minutes on the field.

- Thaiday* - Needs to go back to the fringe. He is not a prop, end of story!

- Glenn - Did his job, wasn't very damaging in his runs, but the flat line and Manly's line speed didn't allow him to do much.

- Gillett - Started well, but dropped off in the second half like the rest of the team. Played 80 minutes and worked his butt off, but would be better at lock imo.

- Parker - His usual self. Worked hard, pushed the line, tackled at will. Should be starting prop instead of Thaiday imo.

- Hunt - Played little time and shouldn't be wasted on the bench. Either give him a chance in the halves, or send him to Q-cup. Reed to be the bench utility.

- Hannant - Clearly one of the most unfit players in the team at the moment. He should be at his peak as a prop, but is a marshmellow. Hook definitely has responsibility in this, and needs to put a rocket up him, because he is still an elite prop.

- Dodds/Stagg - There can be only one of Dodds or Stagg on the bench. One of them needs to go for an explosive guy like Hala, Timu or Molo.

TLDR: All in all, I think the problem was exacerbated by a very good Manly team, and we do need to give this team some time to get it together, but Hook also needs to take a look at his approach and give this team more agility, depth and speed.

Last edited:
Would naming Parker at prop really make a difference? He already plays in the middle of the field like a prop. The only change I can see it making is the order he takes a hit-up and honestly I believe he works best off a quick play the ball as opposed to creating them from nothing.

I actually thought he was a bit ineffective with the ball. Tackled himself to a standstill with a game high 43 tackles but his offensive stats. of 10 hit ups for 60m tends to support my opinion.

I don't think we get much value at all in using Gillett for 80 mins TBH. I'd rather have McGuire and Hannant playing 60 minutes minimum each. We may as well keep a utility type like Hunt on the bench because we won't really use another genuine forward. I'd prefer we gave Granville or Baptiste a go though because they have good running games which is what you want from an impact hooker. Hook doesn't seem to have a plan in regards to interchange at all. We aren't getting the best out of our team that is for certain.

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • whykickamoocow
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.