Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Only saw the shortened version of the game on Fox but the thing that stood out to me was the amount of times Korbin got caught on his back when the opposition player was playing the ball.

Im not sure if it was attitude or fitness but he needs far more urgency to either get into marker or into the line because we were often outnumbered in the defensive line when he was on.

Not good enough!

Absolutely bite my tongue hard to say this but after watching the Cows game, if we don't improve 200% to our game 1 performance, they would slaughter us come Friday. Their forwards are man mountains with only 1 goal - barge their way forward at any cost. The same goes for their interchange bench too. Its better not to talk about the brilliance of their half.
Starting to wonder whether our 1st home game against the Cows brings further misery?

I felt more depressed about Thursday nights game after watching the Knights Manly game.
Both those sides will beat us with their enthusiasm alone.
The rest of the round will be even more depressing because based upon the first 3 games we are a mile off the pace.

I felt more depressed about Thursday nights game after watching the Knights Manly game.
Both those sides will beat us with their enthusiasm alone.
The rest of the round will be even more depressing because based upon the first 3 games we are a mile off the pace.

This isn't the first time we have been in this position.

2006, 2015.. We were toweled up in Round 1. We looked so far off the pace it was unbelievable. Both of which the result of a hard pre-season, but we recovered.

We'll be fine.

Absolutely bite my tongue hard to say this but after watching the Cows game, if we don't improve 200% to our game 1 performance, they would slaughter us come Friday. Their forwards are man mountains with only 1 goal - barge their way forward at any cost. The same goes for their interchange bench too. Its better not to talk about the brilliance of their half.
Starting to wonder whether our 1st home game against the Cows brings further misery?

Our forwards have the barge mentality too. Except guys like sims, Thaiday and even McGuire get stopped dead on their tracks in first contact. Can't wait until our young blood are ready.

Bennett is copping it now but I'm pretty sure Kevin Walters was supposed to deal with our attack during the off season.
Who ever agreed to allow our head coach to take his eyes off our team to coach England and employ his assistant whose mind is sometime elsewhere with the Queensland team may well take responsibility for this disastrous start to the season. Only my opinion of course.

It seems clear to me that we need a basic, serviceable half to compliment Milf, and let Milf do what he does best

I'm thinking a Shane Perry type

That then leaves KNik on the bench to offer some spark when the opposing forwards are tired

But then again I haven't coached teams to 7 premierships, so .........

The game was a write off absolutely no other way to describe it. First half stats were 33% possession and 47% completion we were lucky to only be down by 8.

By the end of the game possession was 40% and 64% completion.... I don't care who is playing halves they aren't doing anything behind those numbers.

After the first half we were chasing the game with the intercept being the killer.

I feel there were too many disruptions preseason to be coming into round 1 away with a new (temporary) left centre who didn't trial there. It will take time to get everyone back in sync and I would've thought the focus would be defence and completions in the early rounds.

But you know...Roosters and their different cap to everyone else.

Yeah absolutely shits me, they hit the market hard with seemingly endless funds. We sign bird and a few cheapies and we are struggling to be under the cap.

Here goes... it's taken me a few days to bring myself to think like this but....The positives from the game:

1. Lodges debut. He made errors but he played around 60 minutes, hit hard, ball played ok and had a decent motor. He will improve as well, especially considering the week he had
2. Roberts. His attack is just lethal and hasn't changed
3. Isaako. He looks a first grader and then some
4. Sua. Not a great game, although coming on in the last 10 mins with the game lost he didn't have a chance anyway, but hear me out here. He has all the hallmarks of a great hit man/bodyguard.
5. It is round 1! People jumping off the top of buildings while yelling "brisbane are done!" would do well to look back at our 2015, 2006 and 2000 1st round results. 2015 and 2006 we put in worse performances then last night and lost by more from memory. The Sydney media is very influential in how much emphasis we put into one performance (unless it's one of their teams of course)
6. Any pressure that was on us (1/100 journalists has us in our top 8) is now officially off of us from everyone except for us (the fans of the team).

I see a lot of suggestions thrown around by people on here but there's one I think that will change everything: an ATTITUDE change.
Bird will make a big difference here but the senior players should be leading the young fellas, not waiting for a 4th season players to lift them in this area. McGuire and Gillett normally do but the other night they were way off. Boyds attitude has been terrible since his injury-he has to make a decision, is he worried about his own body or is he more worried about the team? As a captain it should be an easy decision. I'll give him 2-3 more weeks of performances that poor before I start getting the voodoo doll out. Milford is in the same boat, people are forgetting that he is coming back from a serious shoulder operation (the same bird will but bird seems mentally tougher, although I expect the same slow start from him). He wasn't terrible last year, he is just a playmaker that needs a dominant team to play off-great playmakers dominate the game even with a poorly performing team around them, he needs to make this jump & he needs to toughen up attitude and body-wise.

We won't beat the cowboys but if we put in a good performance we will get some confidence from it. That's all we need, effort!

All in all, the sky isn't falling (yet). They just need to listen to their own comments they continuously keep saying to the media

"No more excuses"

And put a bloody premiership trophy on that 7th stand!!!

This isn't the first time we have been in this position.

2006, 2015.. We were toweled up in Round 1. We looked so far off the pace it was unbelievable. Both of which the result of a hard pre-season, but we recovered.

We'll be fine.
I have noticed the same theory thrown around fb where RL fans tend to be the more fantaisical type. The circumstances are completely the same but the major difference is those two sides contained personnel such as Locky, Civo, Hodgo, Cozza, Berro, Webcke, Carlaw, Thorn etc who are all former greats of the game. We now have to rely on the likes of Niko, Glenn, Offa, Lodge, Tagatese etc to help us recover from their round 1 disgrace. It may indeed happen but to expect this current squad to come even close to the success of '06 and '15 is indeed fantaisical. I'm just hoping it doesn't resemble '10 and '13.

Yeah I think the biggest positive about Lodge's performance is that he looks about 5 kegs too heavy at the moment, I reckon he'll play himself in to shape in the first month. If Thursday night was him not in game shape, then when he's at his peak he's going to be an absolute beast. Can't wait to see it.

I have noticed the same theory thrown around fb where RL fans tend to be the more fantaisical type. The circumstances are completely the same but the major difference is those two sides contained personnel such as Locky, Civo, Hodgo, Cozza, Berro, Webcke, Carlaw, Thorn etc who are all former greats of the game. We now have to rely on the likes of Niko, Glenn, Offa, Lodge, Tagatese etc to help us recover from their round 1 disgrace. It may indeed happen but to expect this current squad to come even close to the success of '06 and '15 is indeed fantaisical. I'm just hoping it doesn't resemble '10 and '13.

The point is we have been in this situation heaps of times and recovered. There aren’t many teams that would hit the ground running after the disruptive pre-season we’ve had.

Besides, minus a couple of players this is the same squad as 2015 so not sure about major difference.

Last edited:
Now you've gone too far.......Carlaw is not now, nor not ever, a great of the game. Gah!

I commented to hubby how Joe O is turning into a Carlaw II. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. So disapointing - he could be our answer to freaking Coen Hess or something but he can't seem to do it.

---
Also, someone said we need time for our young forwards to become gun forwards - yeah, so the Titans can sign them?

Now you've gone too far.......Carlaw is not now, nor not ever, a great of the game. Gah!

I commented to hubby how Joe O is turning into a Carlaw II. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. So disapointing - he could be our answer to freaking Coen Hess or something but he can't seem to do it.

---
Also, someone said we need time for our young forwards to become gun forwards - yeah, so the Titans can sign them?
Yeah, Carlaw doesn't really fit in with that elite group but I'd take him in a heartbeat atm. I should have probably included Tunza as well.

Yeah I think the biggest positive about Lodge's performance is that he looks about 5 kegs too heavy at the moment, I reckon he'll play himself in to shape in the first month. If Thursday night was him not in game shape, then when he's at his peak he's going to be an absolute beast. Can't wait to see it.

Yeah I really can’t say I get this attitude the Broncos seem to have of ‘playing themselves in to shape.’ What the hell have they been doing since November, if not getting in shape?

According to the other night’s performance, it certainly hasn’t been defensive work, structure or tactics...

Last edited:
The point is we have been in this situation heaps of times and recovered. There aren’t many teams that would hit the ground running after the disruptive pre-season we’ve had.

Besides, minus a couple of players this is the same squad as 2015 so not sure about major difference.
We had a halfback in 2015 who enjoyed his greatest season ever so that is one major difference considering we don't have anyone of any merit in the position currently. We certainly don't have anyone that matches the immense value that Parker and Hodgo offered to the side. Add to that Sammy being three years younger, Boyd before his hammy gave way, Milf before his shoulder problems, Oates before his countless injuries. Not to mention, Mitch Dodds, Jack Reed and Adam Blair who all had strong seasons in 2015. We will have to wait till the conclusion of 2018 before we can really make comparisons as Roberts and Bird are massive additions but from where I'm sitting, I don't think this squad is as strong as 2015, it's not even as strong as 2017 IMO.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Manifesto
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • Rambstien
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bish
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.