/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Well here we go, first one of the year:

1. Boyd - There will be some not happy about these comments I'm sure but I fear many will sadly agree, this guy is the captain, yet I cannot recall him ever really playing like he is the captain, at least not since he became captain. He might not have been fully responsible for the forward pass at the start but that set the tone of the game. Once again, he just ball watched when Isaako spilled it, that is not acceptable for anyone but especially your captain, it is also not the first time he's done it. I dread four more years of this bloke at present, his body is breaking down and he seems to lack hunger, huge questions marks over the coach's son - 2
2. Oates - He doesn't want to be on the wing and you know what, maybe he shouldn't be. We need a back on the bench and Oates is tailor-made for that back/forward hybrid utility role you need these days. Given Su'a will be suspended, I'd play Oates off the bench. He overran what should have been the first try, dropped a horrible pass but dragged defenders as he always does. A real rocks and diamonds kind of night without many diamonds - 5
3. Roberts - Just about the only guy who looked dangerous all night in the backline (Isaako notwithstanding), he was about as electric as he could be with such limited ball. That penalty was stupid, he still has the odd brain fade in his game, if it were me, he'd be fullback next week but I'm not the coach - 7
4. Kahu - Terrible, not really much else to say to describe him BUT not really his fault either. He isn't a centre now, his knees just don't have the agility, he also doesn't have the strength. His side of the field was like Swiss cheese in defense and this is not assisted by the millionaire powderpuff defending one in from him. He is a classy winger but that is it these days. Given Isaako's immersion and ability to goal-kick, it is lucky Kahu is still a quality winger because that is all he offers now, embrace it. No pre-season games in the role was mind-numbingly stupid from the coach as well - 4
5. Isaako - He was good for the most part, looks a lot like a Holmes/Hoffman type and makes me think wing is his position, I just don't rate him as a fullback and I'm not really sure why, just a gut feeling. He dropped a bomb but was one of the few who looked like they were bale to get out of reverse gear - 7
6. Milford - Oh man, this guy is really worrying me. He is being paid to be THE man but to be honest, I am not really sure that he is offering ANYTHING better than KNik and that says a lot because both were rubbish last night. He is just have one MAJOR saving factor though, he was behind a forward pack that was being pushed further back than Boyd's defensive position, will hold judgement until after he actually gets some ball in the opposition half but the signs of the last 18 months have not been good and seem to be getting progressively worse. Don't get me started on whatever that thing is he calls defense - 3
7. KNik - Look, I am probably his biggest defender on here and yes, I know he wasn't great BUT he got in a good kick or two, did some ok passing but refused to run the ball (hard to do when your forwards are playing the ball behind you), but I still think he went better than the guy being paid two or three times what he is next to him - 4
8. Lodge - For a first game in three years, that was very impressive. He copped it from pillar to post all week and despite that intercept pass, he was the only forward who looked like he was trying in attack AND defense, a lot to build on here - 7
10. Thaiday - Where do you start here? He was second worst on ground and in a game that included the captain playing like a marshmallow, that tells you everything you need to know. He offers nothing these days, so sad for a club legend who is just making up the numbers these days. He is three seasons past it but Wayne won't drop him unfortunately - 2
14 - TPJ - He was fantastic in attack, such fantastic offloading that needs to be utilized more. The team has the little, fast guys who can capitalise on it...but maybe they are instructed not to or just too lazy to get there, I don't know. He looked fit enough last night which is great but that defense is a massive concern in my opinion. Was dropping off and getting caught out of position so often - 6
11. Glenn - I like this guy, a truly great clubman and I am sure he will come into his own in coming rounds but can see him being overtaken by Su'a later in the season (I know, outlandish after last night's performance) - 6
12. Gillett - Not the Gillett we know and have to come to love. He wasn't the only one in that boat though, it must be said. He looked a shadow of himself but we all know he will get better - 6
13. McGuire - For a guy who is ultra consistent these days, it was a really off game. He was average but in his defense, he was getting very help from anyone - 6

9 - Macca - Just glad he got through the game unscathed, a nice lasting legacy from the powderpuff that was Adam Blair. He looked average but not the most important thing for the guy who is integral to this side's success. His constant kicking on the third, particularly first set after half-time was making me want to throw my vp...tv...whatever I was watching it on - 5
15 - Joffa - I actually thought he went ok without being amazing (he wasn't the only one there) but felt the team did miss his one-two punch with TPJ. I thought he lacked spark but I rate this guy so highly, really would look at starting him next week, as I agree with others that he is probably a better starter than benchie - 6
16. Sims - I have not made my thoughts on this clear a secret. He could be one of the best props in the game but he isn't and it is his own fault...well maybe the Sims' genes fault. He can produce what he did against Newcastle last year but does it ONCE a year. Just not good enough. And if I see him walk back into the defensive line again next week, I tell you, I'm flying back to Brissy and heading straight into training and giving him a highly impassioned letter stating to pull his finger out but not to read it until I run away. His unfulfilled potential just bugs me so much because of what he could be - 3
17. Su'a - Was horrible, no other way to describe it but you can see the talent and ability there. He will miss a week but my outlandish prediction is that he will be starting by the end of the season, just too good to not get there now he is starting to mature physically - 1

Bennett - Not happy mate. Where is the change to structure to play to your players' strengths? This is not a side that can bash and barge, so why use that style? Is that you Des, inhabiting Wayne's body?
Sproj are you the controversial guy on here during the season lol?

yep -

boyd has to be injured. mccullough is well under done still.
left edge is a mess, i would hate to defend outside of milford. kahu will be hating it.
i also think.
bennett fucked it royally with thaiday. you either pick your 9 or not at all.
outside of roberts and tpj to an extent their was not much else in attack.
kicking game was dogshit again

Yeah if Boyd is injured why don’t we not play him! He’s not Lockyer and fullback is too much running to play hurt. I think Boyd’s greatest is not in his legs.

Thaiday I’ll admit wrong there too thought he could show up for 20. Needed another rake but Thaiday to QCup.

Kicking half decently should not be rocket science for an NRL level half!

I didn’t take much notice of it this game but I have noticed it in the past, was McCullough engaging the markers much tonight?
That’s half the problem with ours forwards there running at a set defensive line and they’re not able to isolate a defender to get a quick play the ball.

McCullough does nothing to take the heat off the first receiver. And then gets it to them late so they get smashed.

McCullough does nothing to take the heat off the first receiver. And then gets it to them late so they get smashed.
This was glaringly obvious last night. Thaiday's service was atrocious, yet there was little to no improvement once Macca took over.

I think the question has to be asked, how can Milford go from one of the most dangerous and devastating NRL players in 2015-early 2016 to the player we seen last night? Is it that the team of 2015 suited his game? Is it a personal slump of form? His lack of effort? What is it!

A lot of things, possibly ego, possibly weight, possibly injury and the confidence loss, possibly pressure.

But in 2015 I don’t recall him having to worry about being a half. He just got to run the ball and tear it up. Now he has to earn his price tag in a role that doesn’t suit him.

I despise the "rust" excuse for starting round 1 badly.

Just look at the Knights. Round 1, 9 club debutants and look at the heart they played with.

Work your shit out Broncs.

We should have signed Pearce

This was glaringly obvious last night. Thaiday's service was atrocious, yet there was little to no improvement once Macca took over.

aside from cameron smith who is the g.o.a.t at 9 - you need a quick hooker now who can get out and go.
every play starts from the 9 so you really need pace from this position, admittedly macca is coming back from a bad injury but he has never been a quick option from dummy half.

First post on here, I hope to follow the forums in 2018.

Oh dear, last night was sad..
Too many worrying signs, Milf & Niko just weren't in the game.
TPJ, in my opinion was our best, along with the jet, and closely followed by Lodge - I thought he played with plenty of ticker, a couple of mistakes, but to be expected with the week he has had and being his first run in 1st grade in a couple of years.

But the halves, they just don't work for mine. Milf to me is a confidence player, who needs to back himself in order to be at his best. He needs a dominant half. Why the Broncos didn't chuck the book at Ash Taylor, I will never understand.
WB coming out and publicly backing Niko (when he knew he wasn't getting Taylor) was good to see, but how long is he going to give excuses when it just doesn't work? We don't need two five-eighths. I don't think Bird would work in the halves either. I think it would be too similar to the Milf/Niko experiment. We still don't have good 5th play options, nor do we have a trust worthy goal kicker.

It's a little scary..

Bring in Haas, Fai and Fafita.
Troy Dargan is sitting there also, I don't think bringing him in as a utility to test in the halves with Milf would be a bad idea.
Would it be too silly to even reach out to Todd Carney?

The other point that scares me is we know that once Wayne has made his mind up, he has made it up.
No matter how bad the backlash is on the halves and how hard the media hammer the Bronx, Wayne hates being wrong, and won't swallow his ego to change what needs to be changed..

If we don't make the 8, I wonder where that leaves Wayne.
Brisbane are too big of a club, with too much history and expectation to settle for anything less then being in the 8.
Hopefully we can turn it all around, but I will say, it worries me that we play the Cowboys next weekend. If we play anything like last night, they'll put 50 on us..
Just my 2cents..

aside from cameron smith who is the g.o.a.t at 9 - you need a quick hooker now who can get out and go.
every play starts from the 9 so you really need pace from this position, admittedly macca is coming back from a bad injury but he has never been a quick option from dummy half.

Baptise would've been handy !

Not to start an argument, but Wallace carried this club, and for a mediocre little ginger like him, he did pretty well I thought. Kodi has zero direction, he can't control the team, which I can live with since he's replacing Hunt, but Milford needs a kick up the ass.
@Mr Fourex Alert!!! :porthozthinksthisishot:

I feel sick in the gut, I can now understand why Melbourne cheated the cap for as long as they did, we spent years with Hunt, we put up with his mediocrity when he just came into the grade, he cost us a GF.. then a club loaded with cash comes on in and says "right, we'll take one of your star halves, he's ripe for the picking" and now we're set back another few years until we can either develop another half or buy someone elses

I don't condone cheating but it's really easy to see why Melbourne did it, we did all the work with Hunt and now some other club gets to reap the rewards, last night made me sick to the stomach, violently ill even
Kinda reminds me about a kid Dragons developed call Tallis.

Kinda reminds me about a kid Dragons developed call Tallis.

Well if it makes you feel any better none of us like that tosser anymore either. Kinda reminds me about a coach Broncs developed called Bennett too anyway :p

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • IceWorks
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ostin86
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.