Round 1 - Eels vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

I know it is only round 1 but I think we will be sticking with having a hooker on the bench for a fair bit of this season.

I think it's needed too. Macca struggled a bit early and we looked better when Hunt came on. When someone like Macca is so inconsistent, having a second option like Hunt is very valuable. Not to mention he can also cover if Norman is struggling as well.

Was a frustrating game to watch but looking back now considering the conditions, that it's round 1, and game 1 of life without Locky, you'd be satisfied with that performance.

Gillett was MOTM for mine. Outstanding off the bench. Ran with purpose and tackled like a machine. Geez he can play.

Hannant, Wallace, Hodges, Hoffman, McGuire and Thaiday all deserve mentions.

Looking forward to next week and getting Petero back!

Aside from Slyney I thought our bench was really good. Gillett is a special player, loves coming up with the big plays and his work with and without the ball was great.

Good hit-out from McGuire. I was concerned he'd struggle to back up a fantastic end to 2011 but 37 tackles & 14 Hit Ups and it looks like he's set himself a strong standard. And as Jeb said, Hunt didn't put a foot wrong and it was good to have a fresh face controlling the ruck.

Civo back next week will give us some very valuable experience and a strong partner for Hannant. Sammy played OK tonight, but he's certainly not a front row forward.

Frustrating 1st half, in which we were the dominant team, but kept shooting ourselves in the foot with those errors. At least our defense was on song for the whole match, with the Eels scoring only from an unlucky moment by Beale.

First game of the season, inclement weather, wet slippery ball on a cold night, but the most encouraging thing was that we maintained our composure without Lockyer and cut those errors down after the break.

Wallace stepped up and directed us well, even his kicking was better than we've been used to, and that will help Norman settle into the mythical no. 6.

Beale isn’t a winger, he just doesn’t look comfortable out there! This isn’t bagging him, because he is a valuable player for us.

Thaiday was obviously restricted playing front row, but we do have an awesome pack! How easily did we dominate the Eels?

The team performed well overall, and if we can reduce those errors, we’re in for a great season!

3- Gillett
2- Wallace
1- Hodges

tbh, parra were pretty soft, with what the broncs gave em in the first half, we should of been down 20-0 at first half and i dont hate norman but i didn't see him play a #6 at all in the first 40 minutes, but I guess i am used to Lockyer kicking ass as long as i can remember

If there's a criticism it's that we had no structure, patience or direction in the 20 on attack. We looked MUCH better when Hunt and Gillett replaced Macca and Te'o.

Good, solid performance. Defence and kicking was great which is what we need for the first half of the season until things click in attack

Horrible first half, the less said the better. I was a little concerned we didn't take the 2 points at the beginning of the game. 6-0 down, in the wet, with well over 60 minutes to play. It seems Sams' impulsive nature has transcended his general play. It is something he'll need to work on.

I thought Norman was really good. Didn't get a lot of quality ball or chances in the first half but he was fantastic for a player of his experience in the second. He looked like he belonged.

Wallace had a few good touches - an absolute ripper of an out-ball to Hodges was the highlight for me, however the fundamentals which have made him such a key player for us let him down tonight. His kicking was generally poor and he seemed in two minds at times with the ball in hand. I'm quite surprised to see people impressed with his performance, I thought this was one of his worst displays in 12 months, save for a flashy play or two (but that seems to be what the people want).

Hannant was a demon, his intensity is welcomed. He was unreal in defence tonight.

You're overrating Norman. He looked slow with his passing/decision making, positionally he was poor. But I didn't expect much in his first game in those conditions. He showed glimpses in the second half so I hope he builds on it.

But I didn't think he looked like he "belonged". Far from it.

Good game for us. Parra are in for a long season if that's all they can show in attack. Need Hayne back desperately.

I am a bit concerned about whether we can score enough points against stronger opposition but I guess we created enough chances tonight, so it's a start. It was so enjoyable watching Hodges with the knowledge he's had a full pre-season. I thought Norman played pretty well and at least wasn't a turnstile in defense.

Did the commentators give us a single scrap of praise all night?

And wtf was with Ray carrying on about us changing our jerseys all the time at the start of the second half!? We've had virtually the same home and away template for the past 8 years with only minor changes! Teams like Wests Tigers have had around 15 totally different jerseys in that time.

I wish Lockyer wasn't commentating.

Gee Brisbane is a top 'half' away from being a really good side .... whether that's via Norman emerging or an outside signing, that's the only real box the Broncos need to tick to ensure a really successful next few years ..

I don't think he should be commentating Broncos contests. He seemed a bit absorbed in the game and chose his words very carefully.

Don't think he likes the jersey much.

Yeah fair call Coxy, he surpassed my expectations which is why I think I was happy with his performance. Relatively speaking I thought he was fantastic. I say relatively given his experience and all the problems we've had in the halves the last decade. You're right in that he made some poor decisions with his passing however he was great at choosing the time to run and most importantly didn't overplay his hand.

IMO at the same stage he looks as good, if not better than many of those tried and discarded. One swallow does not a summer make, though.

I don't think he should be commentating Broncos contests. He seemed a bit absorbed in the game and chose his words very carefully.

I don't think he was bad I just don't want him to have anything to do with the channel 9 muppets. He will virtually do all Broncos games.

I disagree that Norman looked good also. Yes, he did improve in the 2nd half, but boy, his 1st half was honestly dismal. He has a wonderful step and can beat a defender which he showed at least three or four times tonight, but quite often made errors with his passes and ball playing options. I thought Hunt was fantastic off the bench & McCullogh was very impressive in his 2nd spell. Hodges was a gun! Great to get the win without Locky, should give the boys confidence. Will be a true test against the Cowboys. Eels were soft!

Yeah fair call Coxy, he surpassed my expectations which is why I think I was happy with his performance. Relatively speaking I thought he was fantastic. I say relatively given his experience and all the problems we've had in the halves the last decade. You're right in that he made some poor decisions with his passing however he was great at choosing the time to run and most importantly didn't overplay his hand.

IMO at the same stage he looks as good, if not better than many of those tried and discarded. One swallow does not a summer make, though.

I'm not writing him off by any means. Just trying to be realistic about his performance.
That half break at the end was class, shame about the poor decision to offload to a player in front of him

He'll improve .. but yeah surely a tough ask for him to not be in a bit of a 'trance' during broncos games given the past 17 years ect

jury out on the away strip .. looks a bit canary superleague-ish

He wasn't terrible or anything, but he didn't sound comfortable. When they asked him about Norman, he took a bit of a pause, and his response was very diplomatic.

He wasn't as bad as Ikin or Freddy but I think if they want fans to respect him as a commentator he needs to do non-Broncos games.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • broncs30
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • Strop
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Maddy
  • jd87
  • lynx000
  • blacknwhite
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Skyblues87
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.