Round 1 - Eels vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

The journalist doesn't even construct proper sentences:

"However, in their first competitive game for the club, Ben Roberts and Chris Sandow did not quite executing their plays and sweeping back-line passages."

It's like Rocky wrote it or something.

An article in the SMH:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rnt-from-last-nights-game-20120302-1u8s1.html

Is it just me, or is most of this article way off base? The only thing that I can really agree on is the first point, and that is so obvious that you couldn't say we learnt it last night.

Love how positive it is about a team that lost a game 18-6 and got their only try in the first 5 minutes off an error.

I agree with you, although the point about our back line wasn't far off. There was too much lateral movement and far too little depth. As soon as the depth came, and there was a bit, so did the quality and penetration.

Parramatta showed absolutely nothing in general, and in any case were snuffed out by terrific defence. The Broncos dominated almost the entire 2nd half.

I can see the Eels finishing in the bottom 3.

An article in the SMH:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rnt-from-last-nights-game-20120302-1u8s1.html

Is it just me, or is most of this article way off base? The only thing that I can really agree on is the first point, and that is so obvious that you couldn't say we learnt it last night.

Love how positive it is about a team that lost a game 18-6 and got their only try in the first 5 minutes off an error.

That article must have been written by a parra fan. Because ir certainly doesn't qualify as journalism

I read that earlier today and thought it was one of the worst articles I've ever seen written about rugby league. The guy is clearly clueless about rugby league and yet is able to thrust his opinions upon a fairly wide audience. How can you say the Eels dominated the game when they had less possession in both halves, were camped at their own end for the entire second half and scored just one try in the fourth minute directly from a Broncos error?!

The SMH just loses credibility with articles like that

Near perfect is bit of a stretch but I thought he played well. His kicking game, especially in the first half was faultless.

Agreed, his first half kicking was fantastic. He really struggled once we made an effort to put pressure on him however. Not sure Roberts going off helped him at all. He was abysmal in attack throughout the second half. Such contrasting performances - not what you want from your 7.

I think that was as much Reeds fault and he seemed to know it by his reaction. Impulsive plays like that are IMO quite forgivable under the circumstances (experience levels, stage of the game etc.). I may have overstated his performance early and there are no doubts he has much to establish and improve on - I just thought it was a nice start.

I didn't think it was Reeds fault, Norman plays for himself a bit at this stage and should have passed earlier, it's not instinctive to look for support first but hopefully it comes pretty soon.

I thought the fundamentals were there, which is great for round 1. I was impressed at our defensive structures and the mobility of the team.

We were lacking the polish in a couple of areas, the halves will have to rectify this over the next 4-6 weeks.

Our attack has started poorly for quite a while now. So long as our defense is good our attack will improve week by week IMO.

I didn't think it was Reeds fault, Norman plays for himself a bit at this stage and should have passed earlier, it's not instinctive to look for support first but hopefully it comes pretty soon.

You don't think Reed also can share some blame for over-running the play?

The onus was on Corey to pass the ball before the last line of defence. If Reed waited back a bit, he wouldn't have been in position to accept the pass at the ideal time.

Was bit of a rookie mistake from Corey, but glad he tried it when the game was over. I have no problems with rookies experimenting when the game is over. Especially this early in the season.

Agreed Norman fudged by not passing early, however shouldn't Reed also be aware the ball carrier may be tackled and in the process throw an offload his way? I mean, it's not an unusual situation by any means. Norman should have passed early, however if Reed showed more anticipation and had not overrun the play we would have had a second bite at the cherry.

If Reed doesn't overrun the makeshift play, he isn't in a position to score in the first place.

I can see what you're saying, but no, Reed really couldn't have done anymore in the amount of time he had.

Last edited:
So your saying reed should have positioned himself for Normans selfish play opposed to the text book play?

The situation isn't too dissimilar to the McCullough mistake earlier in the game.

In that instance, I could understand somebody placing some blame on the receiver. It was still Macca's responsibility to adapt to the situation, but Hannant definitely overran the play.

Unread

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • heartly87
  • Tim K
  • Scdeac
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Battler
  • mystico
  • mrslong
  • Galah
  • Brocko
  • MrMoore
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Foordy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.