CommBank Stadium

Friday
Night
20:00

Broncos

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teddy killed us last game and ran 250m. Walsh is an elite runner - do more of this!

Slater used to excel at picking up the scraps off of forwards and blitzing the centre of the field when the defending forwards were tired. Walsh just needs to put in a bit more effort running at times rather than always looking for the miracle ball late pass. That's mainly what people are having a whinge about.
This, Slater became a better weapon when he was alive around the middle of the ruck. You don't need him being available for hit ups on exit sets you want him up and about on tackle two/three on quick play the balls, off an offload or change of angle pass. Splitting defence wide open and creating half breaks and broken defence where you can capitalise on play four and five.

It's the great thing about Teddy, he is always alive around the ruck waiting for any type of scraps to fall from the table and will make you pay if you miss him sniffing about.

When your popping up in plays in good ball and bad ball areas the defence becomes terrified of where you will be. At the moment good sides have worked out when Reece will pop up. The above would give Reece more opportunities at broken or ragged defensive lines. We also need to be prepared to allow Reece to go down with the ball. Another possible mind issue he has, " I can't go down with the ball because I am needed the next play,". The Broncos need to have more options to allow Reece to play freely and not be thinking of the next play he must be live for.

It could explain why he has also moved away from some of the play from last year. The chance runs on fifth tackles down the short side for example. I honestly think that facial fracture took a bit out of him and he is covering up being a bit gun shy, while also feeling he has to be available on every back line play. He has been blistering at times but not himself.

I have faith he and the club can work it out. We have enough weapons, to give Reece some piece of mind.

It's going to be interesting watching Rogers.

If he kills it, you would think he would be the 7 going forward. He's 27 so he does have that maturity.

When he was given a game against Storm last year, I thought he played well. That was at 5/8, though. Hopefully he kills it on Friday night.

I don't really care who the halfback is going forward, whether it's Rogers or Madden, just as long as they can take pressure off Ezra and Walsh and guide the team around the field.

If he kills it, you would think he would be the 7 going forward. He's 27 so he does have that maturity.

When he was given a game against Storm last year, I thought he played well. That was at 5/8, though. Hopefully he kills it on Friday night.

I don't really care who the halfback is going forward, whether it's Rogers or Madden, just as long as they can take pressure off Ezra and Walsh and guide the team around the field.
Hard agree - after that game I was shocked we were persisting with Madden. Rogers might possibly have a lower ceiling - but he just slotted into the team like a well worn pair of work boots and did the job. You need boring to balance flashy. We've got flashy in spades.

Rogers is 27? I had always assumed he is just a young guy coming through lol.

Walsh needs to just run and run and run for the first 15 minutes. The passes will come later.
He needs to run and play with and attract the defence to him which is going to open up the space for his passing game.
React to what the defence is doing and the players around him need to do the same also.
Doesn't need to put the flair away just be smarter about it and fire the shots when he's got a target not just willy Nilly.

Walsh's improvement is in what he lets other players do and what he does. I think he's at his best when he engages with other players and runs.

Against the Tigers he did that great outside in run to score under the posts, he didn't keep going out the back he came back against it.

When he changes direction, he's impossible to stop- the try against the Raiders.

When he goes on those big arcs that cramp everyone and he runs out of space so just throws a pass then the whole thing comes unstuck.

I love just seeing him two passes wide and letting someone else give him some space.

He needs to learn with him less is more.
And when in doubt run the ball! It’s ok to get tackled

We’ve naked a good strong side for this match. Way happy for Roger’s to get another crack. He just needs to be serviceable and defend well.

We really need to win this one and start building some momentum for the tough origin period

That's a good attitude to have to seek out help from a professional to get better at a role.

There's a lot of people in the game that wouldn't do such a thing.

I mean, the head to head for this is not even close. We should blow them off the park. My thoughts are that a heap of our guys are underdone. Haas, Staggs, Walters, Mariner look slightly injured still and even mentally Walsh/Mam were pretty cooked last week. All this talk about Walsh fearing contact etc, its probably true. He is probably one headknock away from major surgery. These guys arent bulletproof, the injuries would play on their mind a bit and affect the way they play.

naked a good strong side
200w.gif

I mean, the head to head for this is not even close. We should blow them off the park. My thoughts are that a heap of our guys are underdone. Haas, Staggs, Walters, Mariner look slightly injured still and even mentally Walsh/Mam were pretty cooked last week. All this talk about Walsh fearing contact etc, its probably true. He is probably one headknock away from major surgery. These guys arent bulletproof, the injuries would play on their mind a bit and affect the way they play.

Ok you didn't ask but I'll take it as a back door request:

Head-to-head:
1. Walsh (Broncos)
2. Sivo (Eels)
3. Staggs (Broncos)
4. Cobbo (Broncos)
5. Oates (Broncos)
6. Mam (Broncos)
7. Brown (Eels)
8. Campbell-Gillard (Eels)
9. Lussick (Eels)
10. Haas (Broncos)
11. Lane (Eels)
12. Riki (Broncos)
13. Carrigan (Broncos)

14. Smoothy (Broncos)
15. Willison (Broncos)
16. Hetherington (Broncos)
17. Cartwright (Eels)

11-6 Broncos

He’s about to play his 100th Cup game. Played Colts for the Bears in 2015.

is there a reason he has never really had a look in for an NRL team?

is there a reason he has never really had a look in for an NRL team?

He played NYC for the Titans and had a train and trial back there in 2021. This is his third crack.

Ok you didn't ask but I'll take it as a back door request:

Head-to-head:
1. Walsh (Broncos)
2. Sivo (Eels)
3. Staggs (Broncos)
4. Cobbo (Broncos)
5. Oates (Broncos)
6. Mam (Broncos)
7. Brown (Eels)
8. Campbell-Gillard (Eels)
9. Lussick (Eels)
10. Haas (Broncos)
11. Lane (Eels)
12. Riki (Broncos)
13. Carrigan (Broncos)

14. Smoothy (Broncos)
15. Willison (Broncos)
16. Hetherington (Broncos)
17. Cartwright (Eels)

11-6 Broncos
Shit I love these each week. It was totally a request! Although piakura over lane on form mariner over sivo as well even though they are both equally brainless at times.

He played NYC for the Titans and had a train and trial back there in 2021. This is his third crack.

I'm not sure that really answered the question though. I think he meant what was the reason neither of these worked out?

What sucks the most about that Roosters game is that we could have been well in front by the time we started copping those injuries, rather than having to draw level at 18-all without a winger and our halfback....before then losing our other winger and our other half as well for a big chunk of the rest of the game. That pisses me off the most tbh, we could have put them under so much pressure at the start that they would've been chasing had the rest of the game played out the way it did.

Walsh was really disappointing. I wonder if it's a case of Kev had been giving them enough rope to do whatever, early in the season, but after they metaphorically hung themselves with that performance he's now told them "right, no more, you're not as good as you think you are, buckle up and get back to basics and the rest will come".
Yea we looked like if had at least kept Mam on the field and had no sin bin, we might of had a chance to win that. But I think the loss in the long run will be better for us. Winning that might have covered up that really bad first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • phoenix
  • Sproj
  • Maroon4life
  • Dash
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Wolfie
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncs1459
  • Turky Murky
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.