Round 10 - Broncos vs Sea Eagles - Post Match Discussion

Corey Parker didn't lose us the game last night but he could've won it for us. Our defence was what let us down. It was too easy for Manly score against us when they got close to the try line. Hopefully this is a learning experience for Hook and the younger players.

Even though our defence was shyte, we still should have won.

0/4 is totally unacceptable, unless they were all from the sideline, which only one was.

Parker should have at least got 2 of the remaining 3 kicks.

I stopped reading at page 3.

Fact is, scoring more tries and losing is a purely goal kicking thing. They were easy kicks, easy.

Major point I would like to make though: is it just me or is Jack Reed getting 2nd year syndrome in a massive way this year? He's been very quiet.

Major point I would like to make though: is it just me or is Jack Reed getting 2nd year syndrome in a massive way this year? He's been very quiet.

Been thinking the same thing. His defense has been a bit ordinary this year and his attack not as effective.

McGuire is going to be our best forward pretty soon.

He has been since late last year. The guys an absolute machine, and if there was any doubt about him being ready for origin, there shouldn't be now. Like I've said week in week out, he's an 80 minute player who is an absolute gold mine for a team. He NEEDS to play at least 60 minutes every week.

As much as I love petero, he shouldn't be picked for origin at the expense of McGuire.

Norman, excellent game again. Fitting in beautifully.
Hunt, terrible.
Parker, well I've been worried the last few weeks saying that his goal kicking will lose us an important match sooner or later, and there it is. Had an awesome game apart from goal kicking though, which is a shame.
Gillett was terrible in defense.
Reed, probably one of the worst games I've seen from him. He's suffering a bad case of second year syndrome, he's been very ordinary all year.

We DESPERATELY need to buy some new wingers though. Copley is mr generic barely first grade quality, and Beale has his moments but is generally poor. He's gone next year, but we need Copley gone too.

I havent been that pissed off at a loss in years, honestly. We had it won with scoring more tries. We had it won with possession. We had it won when we got the ball with 2 minutes left. Yet somehow we lost. Those 2 competition points are crucial at this time of year, and we just gave them away.

Manly got the 2 points, but Broncos won the game.

That's the way I'm looking at it. At least that thought helped me get to sleep last night.

What was noticeable was manly's tactic of using footwork as they approached defenders on the fringe. Each break was the result of catching a broncos defender with their feet planted.

Two last-minute losses so far this season. Sucks eggs!

I actually think this loss might be a good thing come later in the year. Would rather have a loss such as this now, and have the team learn from it, than have it later in the year.

I think the last 2 games indicate that maybe the broncos haven't been going as good as everyone has praised them for (even know they've had a few injuries). For such a young team with so many expectations placed on them, I think a loss like this every now and again is a good thing to keep their feet on the ground.

I actually think this loss might be a good thing come later in the year. Would rather have a loss such as this now, and have the team learn from it, than have it later in the year.

Main thing to learn is "Don't play Gillett in the backs". Hopefully Hook has learned his lesson...both times against Manly.

I think the last 2 games indicate that maybe the broncos haven't been going as good as everyone has praised them for (even know they've had a few injuries).

i think it shows the opposite, that we're going very very well.

we lost to NZ in a match that was absolutely marred by terrible refereeing, and with 2 of their tries coming directly from our own mistakes. beale catches that bomb instead of dropping it and its a whole different ball game. NZ were the runners up last year too remember.

we lost to Manly because Parker cant kick goals. we scored more tries than them. they are the defending premiers. we didnt have our main playmaker or our main attacking weapon.

we should have won last night. had parker slotted 2 of those 4 goals, would you still be saying you dont think we're going as well as everyone has praised them for, after having just beaten the reigning premiers? somehow i dont think so. kneejerk reaction.

Was anyone else surprised at how tired we looked in the final 15 minutes?

Considering we had more possession and had done less defending up tot hat point, it was a bit odd to see most of our boys out on their feet.

Perhaps some were feeling the effects of the physical encounter we had with the Warriors last week?

Considering we had more possession and had done less defending up tot hat point, it was a bit odd to see most of our boys out on their feet.

Perhaps some were feeling the effects of the physical encounter we had with the Warriors last week?

That could have been a factor.

I also think our poor use of the bench hurt us too.

Civo & Te'o received less than 30mins out there, Capewell only 8 & Anderson didn't even compete. That definitely hurt, fresh legs would have helped us big time had they come on just a tad sooner.

Yep we had two fresh albeit inferior troops on the bench when the game was in the balance. With Hodges and Wallace fit I guess we have a much better rotation but in gun player absenses I think Hook needs to work on keeping the side a bit fresher latein games as this isn't our first game this year where we have been outplayed in the last ten minutes.

I woulda run with Hala on the bench in lieu of anderson. He at least could have given a good burst of 10-15 mins around the 60th min mark.

Yep we looked legless even right after Gillett's second try. You could tell we'd be vulnerable if they could get on the outside and so it proved to be. Fair enough that Griffen left McGuire and Hannant on for longer because they were carving Manly up but it definitely didn't help in the home stretch. Anyway it's all 20/20 hindsight.

Thought I'd sleep on it - yep, still hurts.....

All in all a good effort, only real standout issue was lack of direction at times. And maybe goal line defense could have been a bit quicker. We lost that in the first 3 minutes for mine.

With the current make up of the team, we need to utilise our bench properly because it IS the BEST bench in the comp. Let's utilise it properly, give Teo and Gillett enough time to carve up at different times of the game, let's give Petero 30-40 minutes so we can use his big game experience, let's give McGuire enough minutes because he's clearly the form prop of the comp and let's give Hannant enough minutes as he's in the top 5 props in the world at the moment.

IMO we should only have 3 front rowers.

Hannant and civoniceva start
McGuire on for civoniceva at 20, plays match out.
Hannant plays til 60, civoniceva replaces him to play the match out.

That keeps our best props on the longest, while giving us a boost at the start and end of the game.

As for second row, glen has been playing much better when he gets less minutes, and Thaiday is not an 80 quality minutes player IMO, so Gillett and teo can share the 160 mins with them. 40/40/40/40, 50/30, whatever works best.

Next year we lose civoniceva and teo so we bring hala/Anderson and a second rower in to replace.

That IMO is our best forwards rotation.

Active Now

• Maddy
  • Johnny92
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Tim K
  • GCBRONCO
  • winslow_wong
  • Aldo
  • Astro
  • broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
  • davidp
  • dasherhalo
  • Lostboy
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • MrMoore
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.