Round 10 - Broncos vs Sea Eagles - Post Match Discussion

Before the match I was optimistic even though hearing Hodges wasn't playing was a bit of a blow. But after the first 5 minutes it looked like our confidence was down from the start. And even in patches when we picked up our game you just knew when Manly were in our half they were dangerous and always close to scoring. We just didn't come up in defence especially defending our own line. Manly looked the better side but made loads more errors which we unfortunately only half capitalised on. IMO we lost this one mainly due to our defence...or lack of.

Hunt was ordinary, Norman better, Hoffman safe and always a live wire, Reed played well, Gillett full of guts but Josh McGuire had a blinder and gave all night (except for that 1 crucial blunder).

Hodges and Wallace out was just too much experience left off the park for us.

Gillett's 'errors' in defence (i.e the Matai try just before halftime and the Matai break for the winning try) weren't so much poor defensive reads in my view but due to Gillett's lack of speed off the mark. He gave Matai too much space for the first try and couldn't make it up and it was exactly the same in the final try. This is why Gillett should not play in the centres. I can't blame him for not being quick enough to match it with Matai. I think it's time we moved Gillett to Lock with Parker as part of our front row rotation in much the same way Gallen is used in rep footy. Parker cannot pass to his left and often stifles our left side shifts. His value is in close where he can make great metres and produce offloads for Macca to take advantage of. I agree he should hang up the kicking boots too.

Plenty to work on for the Broncos but at the same time the match last night proved without any doubt the we have the class to push for the premiership this year. I am confident that we can roll the storm.

On The Ccontinuous Call Team earlier today, Ray Hadley said Parker was really upset & blames himself for the loss.

Hadley said, Parker said, he should have kicked at least 3 of the goals.

At least Parker knows who to blame.

Parker should have kicked those goals, but Norman and Gillett shouldn't have made those defensive errors.

We're still chugging along ok though.

I think our best 80 mins should beat any team in the comp. if we don't get any major injuries we should go close.

i think it shows the opposite, that we're going very very well.

we lost to NZ in a match that was absolutely marred by terrible refereeing, and with 2 of their tries coming directly from our own mistakes. beale catches that bomb instead of dropping it and its a whole different ball game. NZ were the runners up last year too remember.

we lost to Manly because Parker cant kick goals. we scored more tries than them. they are the defending premiers. we didnt have our main playmaker or our main attacking weapon.

we should have won last night. had parker slotted 2 of those 4 goals, would you still be saying you dont think we're going as well as everyone has praised them for, after having just beaten the reigning premiers? somehow i dont think so. kneejerk reaction.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. The fact is they lost both those games.

I'm not saying they are playing terrible, I just think there is a few issues that need to be adressed, and maybe those issues were being glossed over because they were winning (goal kicking, defence etc). If that sort of stuff isn't rectified now, it could come back to haunt the team later in the year, especially finals time.

Losing a few games here and there isn't a bad thing.

I think the Broncos may be a bit disheartened after two very solid performances.

The team deserved a reward last night. Hate to blame referreeing (which I am not) but there were some poor calls.

And why do the refs listen to the Manly whingeing? Watmough clearly trying to milk a penalty, nothing in it and goes off. The entire culture of the club is about taking every cheap point possible.

For example, was sitting in the members section and a bloke in front yelled some nothing comment down the tunnel after Brett Stewart (everyone laughed). The trainers came out, signalled to the security and asked for him to be removed.

What a horrible club.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. The fact is they lost both those games.

I'm not saying they are playing terrible, I just think there is a few issues that need to be adressed, and maybe those issues were being glossed over because they were winning (goal kicking, defence etc). If that sort of stuff isn't rectified now, it could come back to haunt the team later in the year, especially finals time.

Losing a few games here and there isn't a bad thing.

The positives:

- It's mid season.
- We've won 7/10
- We've lost 2/3 on the final play of the game.
- The other loss to the Warriors - we were competitive (and could have easily won) in what I think was the most intense and high quality game of the season

For example, was sitting in the members section and a bloke in front yelled some nothing comment down the tunnel after Brett Stewart (everyone laughed). The trainers came out, signalled to the security and asked for him to be removed.

Did they remove him.

I don't know if it's just my bias towards the Broncos, but I thought Manly players took forever to get up after making a tackle, they were really slowing down the play-the-ball. The Crowd was booing a lot more frequently at it than most times this year.

Refs. were the least of our problems but yeah Manly got a few lucky calls.

Thought the penalty before their second try was just a plain knock on.

Also they held us down an age when we were on their goal line, hence their defence was better than ours. Should have been penalised 2-3 more times but refs. are always insecure about blow-out penalty counts.

I remember one effort on McGuire in particular was pretty ordinary. Their players were coming up with his boot and everything in a bid to slow him down from playing the ball.

Last edited:
Glenn Stewart works the head, neck and face more than any player in any other team he literally does it in every tackle. I f#cking hate him!

I thought Norman and McGuire were great last night.

those low trajectory kicks of Normans for Beales and one of Gilletts tries were brilliant. his running game is really strong too, although he does need to learn that he should choose his times better, but that will come. he also made a rookie error by not putting the ball into touch with 2 mins to go. not only would we have chewed up some time, but we would have also been able to set our line from the scrum.

Mcguire has come along in leaps and bounds since Griffin took over. he only knows to speeds (stop and flat out) he is bending the line back with every run and quite often getting a quick play the ball to. he be a certain starter at the club when Petero leaves next season, he may even replace Petero in the QLD side ( if he doesn't get picked for this series first)

on another note, Hunts kicking game was just plain terrible. especially in the attacking zone.

and how good was it to see Glenn knock DCE on his ass and score a try :lol:

Yeah gotta agree with you there foordy about Mc Guire being outstanding and Hunt ordinary at best. I thought Mc Culloughs little grubber/chip shot (Whatever the F*** you wanna call it) down on their try line with 2 minutes to go and 2 points ahead was a real killer for us. But then this game was full of frustration and still think it was our defence that was always gonna let us down in the end. Tough one to let go.
Yeah and loved seeing DCE get steamrolled by Glenn - Classic! :finger:

Why? We would have won if it wasn't for Parker's goal kicking. Fact. No doubt about it. How can you not attribute the blame directly on his goal kicking?

That's not fact. It's a theory.

That's not fact. It's a theory.

No, it's a fact. Goal attempts are totally isolated events. It's not like a dropped bomb or something, where if it were caught the ensuing sequence of events would be different due to who has possession and field position. Regardless of what happens after a conversion attempt, the other team would have kicked the ball off. And if those kicks were made, we'd have an extra 4pts at least, and based on where they were taken from, 6 is the expected return. Which would have won us the game.

Anyone have laugh when the teams were running the red mascot(Dont know its name)with giant headphones did the doggies taunt?

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • bert_lifts
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Manofoneway
  • Astro
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Midean
  • Manifesto
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.