Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

It wasn't a troll, given we're talking about player safety. I meant that whether you're the attacker or the defender shouldn't matter when player safety is the main concern.
I agree with the majority that sometimes you can't make rules to avoid every situation, the current rule has it pretty right.

The current rule is quite clear in that it protects defenders whom often will be vulnerable jumping from a stationary position in the path of rampaging attackers. Turbo's situation is very rare, but was treated in the same way as a situation much more frequent in our game, which is when a half is in the air after performing a kick, especially a bomb.
Who said it was treated in this way? Have I missed something ?
One situation is attacking the other is defending the rules already discern between the two.

In that (and Turbo's) case, the protection isn't whether a tackle can be made, but how it's performed... you can't take the players legs from under him, or shoulder charge him.
A "normal" tackle in such a circumstance could result in the same unfortunate outcome when the player lands, and in a half's case, he isn't even in possession of the ball anymore!

Should tackles on halves in the air be banned altogether as well?

If that tackle was performed on a half it would have been penalised IMO.

In any case, even though it rarely happens, I think it was a fair question because the rule was bought in for player safety but because a player in defence jumped for a ball that bounced and was in the same position as if it was being caught on the full the rule is different.

I understand that the ruling was/is correct and we should not have had the try taken from us but it was a fair question.

I don't agree with Barretts quote below. The ruling was correct, he should be directing his disagreement with it to the NRL not at the Broncos for playing within the rules.

Trbojevic will be out for six to eight weeks.
"We feel extremely lucky given the nature of the mid-air tackle as it had the potential to be a lot worse," said Manly Coach Trent Barrett.

There are all sorts of ways you could limit injuries, but at what cost?
You could stop players of the defensive side, being tackled whilst taking possession of the ball from a kick. Teams would inevitably find a way to use that rule to their advantage. You could safely attack any kick, knowing contact whilst in the air, would be a penalty. The ball has only to bounce higher that the knees.

Something just occurred to me, may be wrong here, but Corey Norman was injured in a tackle. I didn't take much notice originally but was it a cannonball??

Just saw a brief highlight and a player appears to come in late from the side contacting the side of the knee which directly caused the injury and now Norman (who was inline for an origin debut) is now out for an extended period.

If so a cannonball tackle is illegal and extremely dangerous, but yet again you don't here peep from the Sydney centrics. Just imagine if it had have been a broncos player tackling Norman!!!

Then don't quote my post mate, how the **** am I supposed to know what you mean when you quote me but mean to comment on Barrett FFS.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't quote your comments, straight after you quoted mine FIRST...

Obviously impossible to keep track of...

If that tackle was performed on a half it would have been penalised IMO.
No point answering the rest, because this is where the core is at, and honestly, it's not even a question of opinion. It would not have been penalised, unless they attacked the legs, hit the player late or shoulder charged him. There are enough examples of this every week in the NRL.

just saw a copy of the Daily Telegraphs back page for today (it was in the live coverage on the courier mail website) still whinging about the mid air tackle ... lol

1IpEp5nKTYJvFX9Pfxmw DT BP 16 MAY

here is the article from their website:

Brisbane Broncos make huge social media mistake

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
May 15, 2017 8:17pm

MANLY chairman Scott Penn has hit out at Brisbane for celebrating the dangerous tackle that led to Tom Trbojevic’s shocking injury as the Broncos’ play of the week.

And an upset Trent Barrett has joined Penn in questioning why the NRL is refusing to change the rule that resulted in a serious ankle injury that will now sideline Manly’s brilliant young fullback for up to eight weeks.

“He is going to be out for at least six weeks,’’ Barrett said after he was informed the NRL won’t change the ‘‘tackling in the air’’ rule to include a bouncing ball after kicks.

“It has cost Tom an Origin jumper. And the more I look at it the more lucky you realise he was not to suffer a worse injury than he has.

“His whole knee could have went as well (as his ankle). You talk about safety. It is pretty simple, for mine.

“But it is up to the boss of the league to decide the rules.”

On the same day scans confirmed the extent of Trbojevic’s syndesmosis ankle injury, the Broncos were embarrassed into pulling down a video on the club’s official website that said David Mead’s dangerous tackle was the Optimum Nutrition #True-Strength moment for round 10. The video link disappeared shortly after the NRL was notified.

“From a Sea Eagles perspective it is very disappointing,” Penn said.

“It is disappointing that one of our star players is injured and there is nothing to be celebrated. Celebrate a fair contest any day of the week.

“However, in this case we as a club do believe that he was tackled in the air while attempting to gain possession (of a kick).

“Admittedly, once the ball has bounced the rule doesn’t take that into account. But I think potentially they need to be looked at.”

But referees boss Tony Archer claims changing the rule could be exploited by players deliberately jumping in the air when recovering balls that are kicked along the ground.

In Trbojevic’s case, the ball was several metres in the air and he was completely defenceless when belted by Mead.

When Barrett was told of the NRL’s explanation, Barrett said bluntly: “That’s smart. They make all these rules to say they are black and white where they aren’t.

“Refs still need to use some discretion, or common sense, to say that has put him in a dangerous position. You can’t do it.
“And you wouldn’t hear of it again. Everyone would understand that.

“You would be hard-pressed to find a coach or someone to argue against that if it happened to you.”

Penn was just as upset.

“Admittedly, it doesn’t happen very often but in this case he got injured as a result,” Penn said.

“He had no way to protect himself. He was going up, only had eyes for the ball, and got hammered.
“That is just not on.

“If you can’t protect yourself in a situation and you get hit it has got to be against the rules of the game.
“Potentially it is going to be difficult to police but that one was absolutely clear and we have now got a player out for six to eight weeks as a result. It is really disappointing.”

An NRL spokesman said: “We appreciate that the Broncos have withdrawn the post and apologised to Manly.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/9b424c22136c1f12bb4ee4be0d1bacb5

Maybe Trent has investments in cotton wool or bubble wrap companies. Can't fault him for looking after his portfolio.

Why stop there though. 95% of injuries happen during tackles, so I think for players' safety, tackling should really be banned.

I don't see why we should remove the tweet. We didn't do anything illegal. The player was there to be tackled, and he got tackled. It's a physical game. They need to stop sooking just because a player unfortunately got injured in a legitimate tackle.

Lol @ that picture choice, they chose the one where he looks like he's dying.

I hate the media... But not more than Manly. Sooking scums, they were pretty happy with the farcical torso try, but whinge when the rules don't suit them.

You have to respect Wayne Bennett, he almost never sooks about the rules and losing, he cops it on the chin and takes responsibility.

He's had plenty of time to get used to the way the media works. Mead and his mates celebrated a great driving tackle that led to a try. Someone got injured, but they wouldnt have known how bad or even perhaps if he was hurt. It happens all the time. No-one, including mead would have wanted to see him injured but it happened.
Bennet is one of the most vocal proponents of making the game safer, but blaming the club for playing to rules, and not some so-called "spirit", is ridiculous. What seriously could anyone say. That a player tackling hard shouldn't because it goes against the " spirit" of the rule, that players running at defence shouldn't use their shoulders because it goes against the "spirit". All these things lead to injuries too, and a lot more often, but if Bennet says that, he would be branded heartless and reckless.
If anyone was serious about making bombs safe, ban kicking onside altogether and then defensive catchers would never be hurt but be prepared for the ruin of the spectacle of league.

Are the media just trolling the broncos??

Serious question as I can't tell whether they're serious half the time considering half the shit they write about are non-events, seen 100 times each weekend and now just plain legal and within the rules.

Why are these even articles??

I haven't seen one commentator come out and say the rule should be changed... yet they're crowing on like it's an epidemic and should be eradicated from the game

The rule should be changed and if Archer's mob adjudicated with a bit of common sense and not black and white you would be able to see what is dangerous and what is just players exploiting the rules. Same with the farce that is the obstruction rule. But **** me the constant whinging from Manly is nauseating. Never changes with them. I thought the last few years the knobs were starting to filter their way out but nope up pops Barrett.

Are the media just trolling the broncos??

Serious question as I can't tell whether they're serious half the time considering half the shit they write about are non-events, seen 100 times each weekend and now just plain legal and within the rules.

Why are these even articles??

I haven't seen one commentator come out and say the rule should be changed... yet they're crowing on like it's an epidemic and should be eradicated from the game

I heard a heap of fans of neutral clubs and the three hosts of Talkin Sport say they can't believe that is the rule and it is not hard to change it. I tend to agree. If it was to happen to Boyd or Oates I would feel uneasy about it but it is what it is and Archer said it's not going to be changed. Sometimes it is just bad luck

The rule should be changed and if Archer's mob adjudicated with a bit of common sense and not black and white you would be able to see what is dangerous and what is just players exploiting the rules. Same with the farce that is the obstruction rule. But **** me the constant whinging from Manly is nauseating. Never changes with them. I thought the last few years the knobs were starting to filter their way out but nope up pops Barrett.
The rule is black and white ... so it needs to be adjudicated as such.

The second refs start making rulings that go against black and white rules is tge second they leave themselves open to LEGITIMATE complaints and criticisms of bias/incompetence.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.