Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Scrappy game, clunky win. Will instill a lot of confidence into the squad.

The bad:
  • Officiating was piss poor tonight. Both decisions for and against us.
  • We were clunky as hell and really need to improve our attack without Reynolds.
  • Newcastle played like absolute grubs tonight. It was a pretty poor standard of football from them. Obrien made it part of their strategy. Reminds me of grubby Cronulla days.

The good:
  • They held on in the scrap and found a way to win.
  • Our backs are firing so well.
  • Cobbo's a brilliant football player, best winger in comp atm.
  • Paix and Hetherington injected venom, the rest of the pack were solid all night in the fight.
  • We played smart and didnt get into the grub game with them, that says a lot about team maturity and patience.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I'm fine with the Gagai no-try, that's not even debateable for me. If he loses it like that into an opposing player instead of the ground it's a knock on 100% of the time, so it's also a no try.

The obstruction, yes to the letter of the law it probably is, but Clune wasn't actually impeded. He still got across and in front of Staggs, who steps him and breaks through. There was no obstruction. I'd probably be dirty if it went against us, but I'll take it. For Patty's dangerous tackle which was 'cleared', for the forward passes let go, for the dirty shit in the ruck, for the leg-ups all first half.....I would say the Knights still got the best of the ref's calls.

Excellent from the boys, they have found the will to win and are making it a habit. They have the confidence now in themselves that they can match it with the other teams. Their desperation in defence has been remarkable over the past few weeks, and the ability now to outlast other teams is becoming clear. Finishing fast lately is also becoming a habit. So much to like about this team, I am totally stoked!!

Strop

Strop

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 28, 2015
Credit to Kev for not folding at half time and pulling the swap of Walters for Mam. That first half was pretty ordinary from him - and really, it’s not that surprising given how nervous he would have been. I know I was thinking it had to be done, but to allow him to settle down a bit and finish out the game will have done wonders for his ongoing development as opposed to making him feel unworthy of being in that jersey.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Credit to Kev for not folding at half time and pulling the swap of Walters for Mam. That first half was pretty ordinary from him - and really, it’s not that surprising given how nervous he would have been. I know I was thinking it had to be done, but to allow him to settle down a bit and finish out the game will have done wonders for his ongoing development as opposed to making him feel unworthy of being in that jersey.

Kevvie deserves all the credit he gets and more. Almost every player on the roster has improved, many markedly so, that’s credit to the coaching staff.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
And how nice is it to see Haas smiling all the time. I was worried for his mental health a few years there as he was the only one worth a grain of salt. How many games did he come off looking broken and tearful. Now he’s bouncing around and laughing, he’s now just one of many great cogs in the side. So happy for the kid.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Herbie didn’t celebrate his own try, didn’t seem to have the same energy and is he there in that team song vid?
Good catch. Te Maire's not down with the teen spirit either:

johnyE

johnyE

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
Well that 5/5 gets a 10outa10 for me. I saw a potential weakness with our defence through the middle last week and Ponga exploited that last night . Overall all areas of our game has improved massively, albeit some dumb passes , but still committed defense, as well now as a dangerous backline. That big loping stride of Cobbo when it winds up is a joy to watch. He's also got a great step and what looks like great game awareness. I thought Gamble is proving his worth as well , and can't wait to see Arey back as our pivot and just awesome we have a back up kicker in Staggs. I'm just loving where we are now on the ladder. Lets Go Broncos and oh yeah.. you can suck on that Milford.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Could be in pain as well. Played 80 minutes with an injury, took some pretty big hits.
True. He's a tough little rooster. That cut-out pass for Cobbs would have stretched every fiber in his hip flexor muscle. Our physios have their work cutout for them this week. Small blessing in having an extra day to prepare.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Well that 5/5 gets a 10outa10 for me. I saw a potential weakness with our defence through the middle last week and Ponga exploited that last night . Overall all areas of our game has improved massively, albeit some dumb passes , but still committed defense, as well now as a dangerous backline. That big loping stride of Cobbo when it winds up is a joy to watch. He's also got a great step and what looks like great game awareness. I thought Gamble is proving his worth as well , and can't wait to see Arey back as our pivot and just awesome we have a back up kicker in Staggs. I'm just loving where we are now on the ladder. Lets Go Broncos and oh yeah.. you can suck on that Milford.
I’ve been really impressed with Gamble, he’s one we need to hold on to, he hasn’t played that much for us but if Reynolds goes down I shudder to think what we’d be like without him.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Herbie didn’t celebrate his own try, didn’t seem to have the same energy and is he there in that team song vid?
I thought the same but I haven't really paid much attention to how Herbie celebrates before he was a chance of leaving so I think it's a case of finding something to answer if he's leaving or not. Even in interviews he comes across as hard to get a real read on him, which may just be what he's like as a person abit of a introvert type . He is a hardcore gamer and that used to train by himself.
With the team song I thought a few guys looked to be missing maybe they were behind where it was filmed.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I thought the same but I haven't really paid much attention to how Herbie celebrates before he was a chance of leaving so I think it's a case of finding something to answer if he's leaving or not. Even in interviews he comes across as hard to get a real read on him, which may just be what he's like as a person abit of a introvert type . He is a hardcore gamer and that used to train by himself.
With the team song I thought a few guys looked to be missing maybe they were behind where it was filmed.
I think Herbie might be a little uncomplicated, so to speak. That's the impression I get from interviews. He's definitely making a big attempt not to be a hog now, but he's still not the best at figuring out how to go about it. I'm starting to think his hog tendency wasn't selfishness, but like you say, introversion.

I hope we can keep him now, and hone his team mate awareness. The effort is there.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • john1420
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  • phoenix
  • teampjta
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dexter
  • Bronco bob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.