Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

he said himself he was coasting by and getting dropped was a wake up call.

Show me the interview where he says that. All of the interviews I've read and heard where he talks about being dropped being a wake up call and talking about his form, he doesn't say he was coasting by. He says he was putting a lot of pressure on himself to perform at his best and it rocked his confidence because the more he kept trying, the deeper the hole got.

Show me the interview where he says that. All of the interviews I've read and heard where he talks about being dropped being a wake up call and talking about his form, he doesn't say he was coasting by. He says he was putting a lot of pressure on himself to perform at his best and it rocked his confidence because the more he kept trying, the deeper the hole got.

Oates admitted his decline is his own fault and so the 170-game veteran has transformed his approach in a bid to get back to his best.

“It’s been a tough few years, not only for the team but also myself on the field,” he said.

“I haven’t looked after my body. I’ve sort of just moped around and not dealt with all the change too well.

“That’s affected my performances a lot. I just went along with it and did the bare minimum.

“I’ve changed a lot in the last six months.

“At the back end of last year I started doing a lot of extra things for myself and my body. I wish I did it two years ago when things got pretty tough.

“I’m really happy with where I’m progressing. I feel good again and I’m getting my speed, strength and power.

“If I can stay healthy and fit, it will be a pretty good year.”

Why would there be? They haven't had anything to do with each other apart from playing against each other a couple of times.

I think people are reading too much into it.

Agree, he was just trying to fend off a defender to give himself a bit of time and space to pass it to Ezra. I didn't think for a second there was any emotional attachment involved, Milford is just a terrible defender, always has been.

Remember too that he was being given instructions by Mr Harvard at the time, which he believed he was following, but apparently not. I think I read that he was confused and frustrated at the time. Yes, he admitted he struggled and coasted (which is not ideal, but understandable under the circumstances) but dug himself out of it and is now in great form. I don't know how much of it was down to complacency and the "comfort" of having a decent contract supporting him, or being frustrated and low on confidence.

What I do know is that he started digging himself out of it last year, while he still had a year and a half left on his contract. Contrast that with Milford who decided to start performing, what, with 4 games left of the season?

I get the point that it might make him comfortable, but he is still only 27. He can quite easily still play at this level for another 3 years, we've already seen that, even though he is losing some top speed, his attributes (finishing, scoring via kicks, and most importantly, hit-ups during exit sets) are not dependent on speed, it's his toughness and determination that are keeping him going. He certainly won't be on $500k any more and he'd know that.

Hypothetically, couldn't we basically sign him for a minimum wage but he'd still be on about 300k due to the veteran's allowance? He is basically the only who qualifies isn't he?

I could be wrong, but I think Reynolds actually qualifies as well.

isn't the veterans allowance 8 years at 1 club or 10 years in the NRL?

I could be wrong, but I think Reynolds actually qualifies as well.

isn't the veterans allowance 8 years at 1 club or 10 years in the NRL?

Ok, even in that case, it is 200k total isn't it (which is really poor mind you, where is the reward for veterans really?), so if you split it, you could re-sign Oatesy on 200k and he still ends up with 300k and we get 300k of him off our books but keep him still...that isn't worded confusingly at all is it.

Ok, even in that case, it is 200k total isn't it (which is really poor mind you, where is the reward for veterans really?), so if you split it, you could re-sign Oatesy on 200k and he still ends up with 300k and we get 300k of him off our books but keep him still...that isn't worded confusingly at all is it.
It doesn’t really matter from a cap perspective. We save $200k off our cap due to the allowance regardless of who it goes to, if that makes sense.

it’s like saying you’ve got $20 to buy dinner and you can get either $2 off of the potatoes or $2 off the snags. No matter which you choose, you now have $12 to spend essentially

It doesn’t really matter from a cap perspective. We save $200k off our cap due to the allowance regardless of who it goes to, if that makes sense.

it’s like saying you’ve got $20 to buy dinner and you can get either $2 off of the potatoes or $2 off the snags. No matter which you choose, you now have $12 to spend essentially

Yes sure but it matters from the player's perspective. What I mean is, let's say some club is willing to offer Oates 400k (I don't know if anyone would go that high) but then we say to Corey, look mate we can't match that but what we can do is give you half the vet's cap and a 200k deal, so you would have about a 100k short fall. And look, we can't guarantee anything of course but if you stay with us and be a one club player, there will likely be opportunities for you post-playing.

Math Reaction GIF by IFHT Films

Oates admitted his decline is his own fault and so the 170-game veteran has transformed his approach in a bid to get back to his best.

“It’s been a tough few years, not only for the team but also myself on the field,” he said.

“I haven’t looked after my body. I’ve sort of just moped around and not dealt with all the change too well.

“That’s affected my performances a lot. I just went along with it and did the bare minimum.

“I’ve changed a lot in the last six months.

“At the back end of last year I started doing a lot of extra things for myself and my body. I wish I did it two years ago when things got pretty tough.

“I’m really happy with where I’m progressing. I feel good again and I’m getting my speed, strength and power.

“If I can stay healthy and fit, it will be a pretty good year.”

Oates is going great and deserves a couple more years but has to take his pay cut if he wants to stay to help our spine. Paix is a amazing with helping the team gain its momentum when ever he's on the field. Walters is doing a good job though with his delivery to the halves and his running game is getting better. I never want to see Turpin is a broncos jersey again. No attack about him, slow delivery to halves and good defence only gets you so far.

Oates is going great and deserves a couple more years but has to take his pay cut if he wants to stay to help our spine. Paix is a amazing with helping the team gain its momentum when ever he's on the field. Walters is doing a good job though with his delivery to the halves and his running game is getting better. I never want to see Turpin is a broncos jersey again. No attack about him, slow delivery to halves and good defence only gets you so far.
On one hand, his form demands he's in the mix for an Origin callup. On the other, he needs to take a pay cut. This isn't going to be a straight forward contract renewal.

On one hand, his form demands he's in the mix for an Origin callup. On the other, he needs to take a pay cut. This isn't going to be a straight forward contract renewal.
Yes that is true but and a bit tricky, but it's what's needed for our club to continue to fix its spine. If Oatesy wants the broncos jersey on his back it's probably what he will have to do.

He'll definitely be taking a pay cut, but we shouldn't be paying him basic wage. He's a match winner.
No not basic wage I wasn't meaning that amount but the apparent $500k he's on is too much, I would offer around the 250 or 300 mark.

No not basic wage I wasn't meaning that amount but the apparent $500k he's on is too much, I would offer around the 250 or 300 mark.
Is he worth more or less than Herbie right now? I'd have to say more. He is a genuine Origin contender. The club offered Coates, an up and coming Origin winger, $500k. Is he worth that much less than Coates? I'm not sure he is, in current form.

He had an ordinary couple of years, and some really rough luck, especially that infection. But he does look like he's back, though not as fast as he used to be.

I would have difficulty pricing him, simply because I can't get past thinking of him as last year's reject. I think the club should do the same as they've done with Herbie and offer him one year at somewhat less than he's on now, and see if he can maintain his form. Even though I think he's worth more than Herbie, I think we could retain him for less, because of where he's been the last couple of years.

Is he worth more or less than Herbie right now? I'd have to say more. He is a genuine Origin contender. The club offered Coates, an up and coming Origin winger, $500k. Is he worth that much less than Coates? I'm not sure he is, in current form.

He had an ordinary couple of years, and some really rough luck, especially that infection. But he does look like he's back, though not as fast as he used to be.

I would have difficulty pricing him, simply because I can't get past thinking of him as last year's reject. I think the club should do the same as they've done with Herbie and offer him one year at somewhat less than he's on now, and see if he can maintain his form. Even though I think he's worth more than Herbie, I think we could retain him for less, because of where he's been the last couple of years.

I also don't think Oatesy wants to go anywhere else. I'd be happy to give him 300k max but also with some of the veteran's allowance included. So I'd suggest 250k + 100k vet's allowance = 350k. If 50k more is needed, I would be fine with it.

With Oates the past years hes been terrible and lucky to be at the club. But hes move me to the 2nd row has ended now since we have great cover for 2nd row. Oates has had a massive climb in form but a drop again may happen, I agree on giving him a year contract. Coates not re-signing was terrific news since we would have no Cobbo. We were offering way overs because we didn't want to lose him but it's good Melbourne were lucky enough to take him off our hands.

Unread

Active Now

• Strop
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • sooticus
  • Evander
  • Justwin
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.